Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

I'm over the moon for this Vehicle support not because I love vehicles but mostly just because I really wanted them to be GOOD in my artifact cube and they mostly suck and I don't really have a lot of love for them as a theme. That seems to be changing..

1643577714381.png1643577747319.png1643579230823.png
1643579306466.png1643579378564.png1643579394755.png

Very excited about vehicles that have ETB effects (as they can serve as spell effects and not fight for those slots.)

And even HAPPIER they seem to be putting them in to Azorius (not Boros again) because of all the guild pairs in my artifact cube, Azorious could really use the help. And so it is... :D Keep em coming!!

Last edited:
View attachment 6510

That’s a 2/1 Ninja of Deep Hours for {U} that turns into a looter after first hit. Original is obviously far stronger but I could see this give redundancy to an effect we haven’t had too much of.
I think Moon-Circut Hacker is actually quite a bit stronger than Ninja of Deep Hours. Ninja of Deep Hours costs twice as much mana to cast as the hacker (no matter what mode you cast it with), so it's usually only viable to play it for its Ninjutsu cost. Not only is Moon-Circut Hacker's Ninjutsu cost reduced by half, but it can also be a reasonable play "naked" on turn 2 if you have nothing else worth doing. Even though the "loot" mode on non-ninjutsu attacks isn't as powerful as the raw draw provided by the Ninja of deep hours, the Ninjutsu mode is exactly the same. Subsequent attacks with a random bear are hard to make connect unless you're winning the game handly, meaning Moon-Circut Hacker is basically always better than Ninja of Deep Hours.

None of this reasoning even mentions the fact that Moon-Circut Hacker has enchantment synergies which are definitely relevant sometimes (this set is oddly amazing for people who like Zur, isn't it :D).

I think one benefit of the hacker is that you can play it and attack with two creatures and kinda force the opponent to block the hacker? Which would leave the other creature unblocked so that another ninja can be deployed. Not that it's a guarantee, but the fact that the same card is both a ninja and a card that needs blocking early seems interesting?

4 mana is a lot these days, and so is crew 4. I'm not immediately convinced Surgehacker Mech is better than Twinshot Sniper looking purely at the abilities. Obviously Surgehacker Mech is colorless, but... I don't know. If you deal more than 2 damage with it, you probably have one or more vehicles on board that you can't crew.
I haven't really played with any vehicles since they first came out (I don't like Smuggler's Copter, I haven't had a draft since I got my Esika's Chariot, and the other options seem too weak), so I'm not 100% sure how the crew cost will play out. I was just thinking that an evasive colorless upgrade for early-game aggressive creatures that also functions as a removal spell seems pretty decent. I'm just thinking about what I want out of aggro top end here, and "card that helps close out the game while creating tempo dodging sorcery speed removal/wipes" is pretty close to what I want. After all, you can crew Surgehacker Mech with Foxy Fighters or two random 2/1s, so it doesn't seem too hard to make work as long as you have a somewhat reasonable board state.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this? As I said, I haven't really played with vehicles since the Aether Revolt prerelease, which was almost 5 years ago at this point back when I was still not great at Magic. I could very easily be misevaluating this.

god damn this set is gonna make me wanna put ninjas and blue tempo/aggro back in
i already run yuriko as a pet card / weird reanimator payoff, gonna be tricky to find the space tho!

@Morphling above mentioned they wanted to dig deeper into Vehicles.

For anyone who wants to go all in on Vehicles in their cube

B7A6A411-65E2-43E5-8F4D-15108700B748.png
378FD415-45D8-45E5-BF8B-569FEDD208B7.png

You probably noticed but just to make sure:

1 It also works with artifact creatures and not just Vehicles.

2. All the cards return to the battlefield if you lose the Mechtitan. All except the original Core. Otherwise you could just do it again.

landofMordor

Administrator
@Morphling above mentioned they wanted to dig deeper into Vehicles.

For anyone who wants to go all in on Vehicles in their cube

View attachment 6521
View attachment 6522

2. All the cards return to the battlefield if you lose the Mechtitan. All except the original Core. Otherwise you could just do it again.
I am VERY excited to start Voltron-ing things. The token having lifelink, and the 4 "limbs" returning to play, means that its controller won't be punished too hard if they create Voltron, swing in, and then it gets removed the following turn. And the haste means you can take advantage of the opponent tapping out. Seems very cool.

So many words
And they are even user shorter sentences than they would have once

"When Sutsaku, the Living Lore is put into a graveyard from the battlefield."
"Put a lore counter on each Saga you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

unfortunately the mental load of the card doesn't care how many shortcuts they take with their text box. Still a lot to process either way.
This is only true up to a point for me. With Mechtitan Core, the flavour does a lot of the heavy lifting, though the Mechtitan token’s abilities are rather buried in that block of text. I’d want a separate token that spelled it all out if I ran it.
Satsuki I find more annoying, as her schtick seems to be sagas, but as an afterthought can return enchantment creatures as a death trigger.

This is only true up to a point for me. With Mechtitan Core, the flavour does a lot of the heavy lifting, though the Mechtitan token’s abilities are rather buried in that block of text. I’d want a separate token that spelled it all out if I ran it.
Satsuki I find more annoying, as her schtick seems to be sagas, but as an afterthought can return enchantment creatures as a death trigger.
Your anecdote on the mechatitan proves my point if anything. The text box individual words are almost moot since you have a defined mental understanding of the mechanic. Card textboxes develop a set of mental building blocks on the actual mechanical functions of the card. Just because they drop "any time you could cast" in favor of "as a" doesn't mean that mental building block "this is sorcery only" changes at all. Likewise, they could cram as many filler words as they want on the mechatitan, but with your underlying knowledge of the Voltron concept, it wouldn't make it much harder for you to mechanically understand.

This is one of my major concerns with all the little textual shortcuts they've been taking over the past 5/whatever years. They give themselves license to cram more other words on the textbox besides "any time you could cast a sorcery" and the other longer phrases, which just serves to give them leeway to make the overall mechanical complexity of one textbox higher than ever (remove all that "filler text" and we gain room for an entire additional ability!).

Last edited:
I am personally fine with very texty cards if they are the build-around meat. For me it would be fine to have a texty Satsuki if I had a Saga theme in my cube for Selesnya (I do not).

I also don't mind texty cards if they are 8+ mana legendary bombs.

378FD415-45D8-45E5-BF8B-569FEDD208B7.png

I originally read this as "four other creatures or vehicles." The fact that these have to be artifacts makes this much harder to use than I initially thought :(.