General Custom Cards: The Lab

Difficult to say when no explanation has been given.

I ask him to stop and he keeps going. I asked him probably several pages back if he was satisfied with the arguments. Isn’t that enough to let a conversation go?

This is the explanation I got when I went to visit Riptidelab as a guest.

CCD49705-FC7C-424D-AF21-E54137A83C52.jpeg

I am not going to read any more comments on this matter. I won’t give in if someone asks for me for anything.

I was taught to create before to use. To give more than I take. To be be someone who creates topics and content and not just consume them. This is also what I did in here until the ban for being ganged up on. I never broke any rules. I just answered every comment coming my way. But not anymore. For some reason my personality doesn’t go well in here and only in here. I told people to stop for several pages in a row in a very calm way and they kept shouting on top of each other. So I was removed to make the conversation stop. Then everyone got to air their thoughts while I was away (couldn’t read them because as you can see on the picture I was blocked from reading in here as well). Now I am back and told the situation from my point of view and suddenly people feel the need to comment on it again. Three people and counting. I kind of wish someone would try and be on the receiving end of this. I will ignore any comments directed at me from now on because it doesn’t matter how calm I stay, if enough comments are thrown in my direction I will be seen as an issue that has to be silenced.

After a hand workshopping a design for an entirely hybrid custom LRW/SHM cube. The goal is a mardu bomb rare that acts as a virtual fog or temporary Ghostly Prison by punishing one attack - Instant, enchantment, whatever - themed after the r/w Lorwyn Giants and w/b Shadowmoor Hags.

The goal for this design is to buy time by creating an incentive for your opponent to attack small, and for the card to get better when you have blockers - creating a tension between attacking with enough creatures to trigger the enchantment, but not so many that you get blown out by no blocks being declared. It's also just a sort-of Fog if you have no creatures out, as only one creature will attack into it unless lethal is being threatened.

As is, the templating feels ambiguous (How many is "that many" - as written I'm pretty sure it would check the number of creatures who dealt damage but I kind of want it to check the amount of damage dealt) and clunky, and I'm not quite sure how to fix it while keeping the card clean and legible. On top of that, I'm not sure it's quite hitting the mark gameplay-wise, so I'm totally open to a complete redesign, and I'm also trying to come up with a name that works both for a feudkiller giant vibe and hag-y/witchy revenge spell - something involving holding a grudge would be great because that also hits the Duergar flavor-wise but I'm clean out of ideas.
I completely misread that you meant:
Whenever a creature deals combat damage it’s controller sacrifices THAT MANY non-lands permanents and you sacrifice ~.

So you will get either alpha striked, token bashed, or flying manned? Doesn’t this leads to board stalls?

Whenever a creature deals combat damage it’s controller sacrifices THAT MANY non-lands permanents and you sacrifice ~.
Yay you made it human-readable! Thank-you <3

So you will get either alpha striked, token bashed, or flying manned?
Yep! The hope is, you buy a turn or two so you can actually advance your own game-plan. I kind of don't want wraths for this format but there's got to be some replacement for the Wx control decks to create a tempo-breaking moment and this was the first idea I had that I felt had legs flavour-wise. Its also has that Lorwyn/Shadowmoor "on-board effect that massively complicates combat" thing going for it which I, uh.... happen to quite like.
Whether it actually does any of that in a way that's fun or interesting, well, that I'm not so sure on - which is why I want to workshop the concept rather than commit to the initial idea.

Doesn’t this leads to board stalls?

I genuinely don't know - it feels like an easy effect to get out from under unless the board already has a few creatures on both sides, in which case yeah it potentially exacerbates the problem, but it also incentivizes the controller of the enchantment to attack (After all, the crack back will be punishing for the opponent unless it's actually lethal).

Edit: Also, how's "Promise of Retribution" for a name? Still a bit meh?
Might be a more interesting effect if it just dealt the same amount of damage divided as you choose among any number of targets?

Last edited:
Yay you made it human-readable! Thank-you <3

Yep! The hope is, you buy a turn or two so you can actually advance your own game-plan. I kind of don't want wraths for this format but there's got to be some replacement for the Wx control decks to create a tempo-breaking moment and this was the first idea I had that I felt had legs flavour-wise. Its also has that Lorwyn/Shadowmoor "on-board effect that massively complicates combat" thing going for it which I, uh.... happen to quite like.
Whether it actually does any of that in a way that's fun or interesting, well, that I'm not so sure on - which is why I want to workshop the concept rather than commit to the initial idea.

I genuinely don't know - it feels like an easy effect to get out from under unless the board already has a few creatures on both sides, in which case yeah it potentially exacerbates the problem, but it also incentivizes the controller of the enchantment to attack (After all, the crack back will be punishing for the opponent unless it's actually lethal).

Edit: Also, how's "Promise of Retribution" for a name? Still a bit meh?
Might be a more interesting effect if it just dealt the same amount of damage divided as you choose among any number of targets?
Well, the controller of the enchantment gets an attack when that player plays the enchantment. The other turns not since your opponent won’t attack or break it with something simple.
Why make a custom when you have:

pariah is just for one turn, unless you block something. False prophet is more equal.

that said, I like the way you think. Damage division variant could be quite fun and is probably less backbreaking than sacrifice your board.

hmm, maybe I shouldn't have made that post right before getting pretty busy and not posting for several days.
I'm happy some of you got some paragraphs off your chest though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is well above the curve on every ability, and the only one that aren't necessarily great are trample and vigilance. Hitting indestructible is absolutely nuts, and flying, first strike and +1/+1 are also extremely good for a one drop. I love the flavor, and as an attacking one drop there's only so much impact it can have, so while I don't know that it's broken, it's definitely doing too much for the cost. But hey, it's Awesome McCoolname, Slayer of the Infinite! He's canonically awesome, so he should be over the top!

Also, can I say I never expected to find art this fitting for the concept I had in mind? :') Believe it or not, the mechanics came first in the design! (Followed very closely by the cheesy flavor text, actually.)

Art is absolutely awesome! It’s The Mountain wielding lightning magic as he’s battling House of the Eagle and House of the Bull; two of the biggest families from The Reach.

Everything I said is wrong

Usually I don't love asking for art, as one could always search a little more themselves, but now it is different. I am looking for 20 different, awesome and fitting artworks for my 20 Prismatic Vistas about to be printed. Anyone motivated to help me out a little?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Usually I don't love asking for art, as one could always search a little more themselves, but now it is different. I am looking for 20 different, awesome and fitting artworks for my 20 Prismatic Vistas about to be printed. Anyone motivated to help me out a little?
Okay sourcing 20 individual rainbow land arts is a lot of work, so I'm just going to link you Anthony Avon (No relation)'s art page:
https://www.artstation.com/anthonyavon

There's a metric ton of great material here (100 days of studies is great, and there's more)

Blacksmithy's suggestion of looking at actual real paintings gave me a great idea. If you're looking for landscapes that evoke that 'prismatic' feeling to some degree, what about the Group of Seven? I think Tom Thomson would be a good place to start your search.

Historical landscape paintings are a great source for land arts. I mean, they are landscape paintings after all. I'm personally a big fan of the Hudson River school style. Probably less suited to the "prismatic vistas" being sought after rn, but great artworks in general. Susie M. Barstow might have some fitting pieces though.

While looking through local art I also discovered that my middle school art teacher is still alive and presumably well. Also how I discovered the below art of his, which hit me like a sack of emotional bricks. That lumberyard was a feature of the center of my hometown for my entire life. I ran around in there as a kid. It was right across from the middle school. I feel like I've stood in the same perspective he painted it from in the same lighting and time of day; that magical heavy early dusk in winter where the world feels still and alive at the same time. It's now mostly gone and is a local grocery market, bank, and some other things. Very good for the livelihood of the town to not just have an abandoned mill right in it's center, but man I'll never forget that old lumberyard.
1666991049986.png

Last edited: