General Custom Cards: The Lab

Basically the most common dream here are the Mirage block constructed combo decks.

Next goal is to make a Sandsipoise archetype work

It's official. I'm going to post here all my "What I fixed this card so it's a better fit for my cube" ideas.

--

Erik's Cradle
Land
{1} ,{T}: Add {G} for each creature you control

--

{B}{G} Squandered Cardboard
Enchantment

Sacrifice a non-land permanent: Add {B/G}

--

{1} Erik's Pendant
Artifact

{4}, {T}, Exile Erik's Pendant - Each player returns to the battlefield all permanents that were put into a graveyard from play this turn.

--

{1}{R} Erik, Twice Repeated
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard

Flash

When Erik enters the battlefield, copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

2/2

--

{2}{B} Dwindling Nightmare
Enchantment

Exile target creature you control: Put target creature of lesser mana cost from your graveyard under your control then return Dwindling Nightmare to your hand. Play this ability as a sorcery.

--

{1}{U} Erik, Twice the Cunning
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard

Flash, Flying

When Erik enters the battlefield, change the target of target spell with a single target

1/1

--

{G} Break a muscle
Instant

Target creature gets +2/+2 until the end of turn

At the end of turn, draw a card.

--

Also, all creatures are now Human Wizards. Sorry everyone!

--

{1}{R} Erik, Twice Repeated
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard

Flash

When Erik enters the battlefield, copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

2/2

--

{1}{U} Erik, Twice the Cunning
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard

Flash, Flying

When Erik enters the battlefield, change the target of target spell with a single target

1/1

--
Boo complete the cycle or I riot :p

Here's an interesting question that I have been musing about, how would the boon cycle look like if they were designed today AND at a similar power level?
I'm assuming that Lightning Bolt and Giant Growth are both fine, (although I have thought that giant growth may need to go up to 4 to compete with bolt) but you may feel differently about bolt and growth.
But Healing Salve, Dark Ritual, and Ancestral Recall go from too weak to pretty strong to broken :p
(Although I did forget that Salve works with planeswalker's now, even then... let's make a new one)

So here are the three that I came up with

Dead {B}
Instant
Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
(ulcerate without the downside, last gasp at 1 mana less).

Boon {W}
Instant
Target creature gets indestructible, first strike, and flying until end of turn.
(I still would probably prefer fight as one but this is a nice trick).

Blue has been the trickiest for me, Miscast is decent, as is Fading Hope, but I think that the interaction with creatures is part of a theme I have going on here so

Down {U}
Instant
Target creature gets +0/+3 and gains shroud until end of turn.

Dive Down is a solid contender, but you know what I have always wanted? Using it to counter someone's giant growth.

I appreciate that these all can now interact and show off how each color plays with one another.
But I am curious how you all would handle this cycle ;)
Threes are mandatory.

For the combat trick, flying and first strike and indestructible are a weird combination. Usually you're not using the whole enchilada--either first strike is winning combat, indestructible is blocking a removal spell (notably not the black one here), and flying is dealing those last few points of damage. Maybe lifelink, flying, indestructible? That way you gain life like you would with healing salve.

Also, I really think that Dead should just be ulcerate. Right now it's a stupidly strong removal spell.

For the blue spell, maybe Mental Note but mill three? I agree that keeping the cards creature-centric is a nice theme, though.

For the combat trick, flying and first strike and indestructible are a weird combination. Usually you're not using the whole enchilada--either first strike is winning combat, indestructible is blocking a removal spell (notably not the black one here), and flying is dealing those last few points of damage. Maybe lifelink, flying, indestructible? That way you gain life like you would with healing salve.
I actually considered having boon be

Boon 1.0 {W}
Instant
Choose one
Target creature gains indestructible
Prevent up to 3 damage from target planeswalker
Target player gains 3 life

But I felt that it just wasn't clean enough and yeah I like the idea of White sneaking in some damage rather than demanding proactiveness just makes a better card. I definitely could take or leave the first strike though

And yeah Ulcerate without the downside is really strong, buuuut we are comparing it to Lightning Bolt :p

I could see going for something like this instead though just to get away from black life prevention

Dead {B}
Instant
Target creature gets -0/-3 until end of turn.
(so agony warp without the blue effect)

These types of effects have fallen out of favor lately though, the most recent cards being an arena only card and a card from new phyrexia.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually considered having boon be

Boon 1.0 {W}
Instant
Choose one
Target creature gains indestructible
Prevent up to 3 damage from target planeswalker
Target player gains 3 life

But I felt that it just wasn't clean enough and yeah I like the idea of White sneaking in some damage rather than demanding proactiveness just makes a better card. I definitely could take or leave the first strike though

And yeah Ulcerate without the downside is really strong, buuuut we are comparing it to Lightning Bolt :p

I could see going for something like this instead though just to get away from black life prevention

Dead {B}
Instant
Target creature gets -0/-3 until end of turn.
(so agony warp without the blue effect)

These types of effects have fallen out of favor lately though, the most recent cards being an arena only card and a card from new phyrexia.

I'd argue that the differences between bolt and your black boon push us to wanting Inquisition of Kozilek or Unearth more

I'm using downloaded Cardconjurer and I just noticed that it doesn't have the NOT FOR SALE text on there anymore. Will this be an issue with MPC?

Is there a good place to get high quality MtG art? Sometimes scryfall's is kinda ass. Looking for Commander Collection Black Sol Ring art.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm using downloaded Cardconjurer and I just noticed that it doesn't have the NOT FOR SALE text on there anymore. Will this be an issue with MPC?

Is there a good place to get high quality MtG art? Sometimes scryfall's is kinda ass. Looking for Commander Collection Black Sol Ring art.
Oftentimes I just Google for the artist to see if they have an art site. Unfortunately, Yeong-Hao Han doesn't seem to have uploaded the Sol Ring art to either his ArtStation or DeviantArt gallery. You can also Google for artist and card name + "art". Using Google Lens on one of the search results, I found this mtg-jp article has a reasonably high res art of the art you're looking for as the banner image! Unfortunately, it does seem to be a bit cropped, compared to the actual card.

1ADD25B5-6AD8-42F5-BBBC-8FE1624B236F.jpeg

Stroll ring fucking sent me so I had to reply.

I really like that Blighted Sands, Burning Wastes and Unhallowed Summit all have art that draws the eye to a column in the center of the card, would be a sweet theme to continue through the rest.

Love the pendants. I can see why you'd want two as enchantments but it still makes my eye twitch :p

Keeper of the Chalice is a sweet card idea to manage all that fast mana, really love that one.

Stroll ring fucking sent me so I had to reply.
Lmao I wanted to get all rhyming words and saw the dude walking.
I really like that Blighted Sands, Burning Wastes and Unhallowed Summit all have art that draws the eye to a column in the center of the card, would be a sweet theme to continue through the rest.
That's too much work lol.
Love the pendants. I can see why you'd want two as enchantments but it still makes my eye twitch :p
Pretty sure I'm gonna try to push an enchantment theme in Wxx.
Keeper of the Chalice is a sweet card idea to manage all that fast mana, really love that one.
I'm a little scared of it on 0 on the play, but people need to pack some removal.
Have you watched Caleb Gannon’s custom card contest for a custom vintage cube video for inspiration?

Not for a long time, but, yes. I tried Googling his stuff to see if I could find the ideas in a format where I didn't have to watch an entire video and I felt like I couldn't find most of it. I remember he had a cool 2/2 for W that exiled a creature card from the yard and became a 2/2 copy of it. Like a white reanimate.

If anyone wants to help, I currently am looking for:
W/B/R/G additions to the Force of Will cycle that are actually good.
W/B/R additions to the Force of Negation cycle that are actually good.
Equipments that can hang (if any) for SFM.

Or any designs you have lying around that could work.