Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

It is. But like most of what we've seen so far, it seems tricky to utilize for cube. Which cube deck on which power level wants to, for example, spend three mana and 10 lifepoints for a treasure and a Divination?
I agree; this has been a big issue that has been plaguing the last few sets. I think this is partially due to sets having less time to flesh out an entire theme and trying to manage power creep in a generally more powerful world. In either case, it leads to a lot of cool, but weird, cards like this.

Dang it, Elspeth...
Luckily she isn't confirmed to be dead– she just took the Sylex and yeeted it into the blind eternities. The Invasion Tree had already connected to non-Phyrexian worlds and if the Sylex was allowed to detonate, it ran the risk of destroying all of them in addition to New Phyrexia. It is implied that Jace telepathically sent Elspeth a new plan right before he was fully Compleated and the Sylex exploded, so Elspeth had to carry through the plan.

My guess is Elspeth is going to return even stronger in the next set. Call her William Afton because she always comes back.

I guess we're not getting a Compleated Dreadmaw now... at least not until March of the Machine.
tyrranaxrex.jpg

This seems... strong.
capricioushellraiser.jpg

urtetremainsofmemnarch.jpg

Urtet, Remains of Memnarch
Legendary Artifact Creature - Myr
Whenever you cast a Myr spell, create a 1/1 colorless Myr artifact creature.

At the beginning of combat on your turn, untap each Myr you control.

WUBRG, T: Put three +1/+1 counters on each Myr you control. Activate only during your turn.
2/2
Illus. Simon Dominic.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Luckily she isn't confirmed to be dead– she just took the Sylex and yeeted it into the blind eternities. The Invasion Tree had already connected to non-Phyrexian worlds and if the Sylex was allowed to detonate, it ran the risk of destroying all of them in addition to New Phyrexia. It is implied that Jace telepathically sent Elspeth a new plan right before he was fully Compleated and the Sylex exploded, so Elspeth had to carry through the plan.

My guess is Elspeth is going to return even stronger in the next set. Call her William Afton because she always comes back.
She dead bro. Literally resting in pieces o_O

damn I should've made a prediction somewhere, that's exactly what I thought it would be, except for the exact number of cards exiled

bladeholdwarwhip.jpg

I am kind of interested in a 2/2 double strike that makes your other equipment better, although I'm not convinced the cost reduction is realistically that useful with how things currently look.

experimentalaugury.jpg
carnivorouscanopy.jpg

There's also some incidental proliferation here that I don't think I'm personally interested in, but are kind of neat.

1674073182808.png

So far, this is the card that interests me the most. That being said, I really have trouble evaluating it, which is why I wanted to bring it up again for discussion.

I usually dislike snowbally threats, but this is kinda slow and maybe predictable enough that I'm okay with it. I like how well it would probably play in wildfire, sacrifice and - to a lesser degree - artifact decks in my format. But it's the brutal inevitability that scares me a bit. Once resolved against a slow dimir control or dredge deck this 3-drop seems pretty close to unbeatable.

My cube just isn't the place where I want 3-drops that can win on their own I guess ...

Honestly, this just showcases one of the things I don't like about the current Phyrexia storyline — they've buffed Phyrexia way too much, to the point where it actually loses some of its impact for me.

They went from "scary inevitable threat that's contained on a single plane, but the seeds for something similar might have been scattered across the multiverse because Urza has Good Ideas" to "THEY HAVE PLANESWALKERS AND PORTALS THAT THEY CAN SEND ARMIES THROUGH DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO TWELVE WORLDS" in the space of, like, two sets. The thing that makes successfully Compleated planeswalkers scary (the fact that they're non-planebound infection vectors for the Cyborg Zombie Body-Horror Plague) gets overshadowed by the fact that New Phyrexia can already launch invasion forces against other planes.

WotC's spending their build-up really quickly, is what I'm saying.

On top of that... this entire set is kinda predicated on characters making incredibly poor decisions. It honestly feels like they pulled the planeswalkers they were going to send out of a hat — you have the two Kamigawans (which, sure, why not, they were around when Tamiyo was taken), Miss Warcrimes (Nahiri), Four People Whose Powers Involve Directly Interacting With Infection Vectors (Jace, Lukka, Nissa, and Tyvar), Miss She-Came-Along-Because-It-Makes-Jace's-Compleation-Sadder (Vraska), and Two Ladies Immune To Phyresis (Elspeth's confirmed to be immune, while Kaya is probably immune because she's only intermittently corporeal).

Like, why send half of those people when you could've sent Chandra? No, seriously, why is she hanging back on guard duty? If you're planning to destroy the place anyway, why not send the lady who is arguably the most destructive living planeswalker? Sure, she's an idiot (not that that stopped them from bringing Lukka...), but Phyrexia just murdered her mentor and she's so Red-aligned that Compleation would just mean that she'd start hanging out with Urabrask (you can't tell me that she'd end up anywhere but with the "consent is beautiful" Phyrexians).

Actually, that brings up a really good question: why trust Jace at all once he's been infected? The oil starts messing with your head almost immediately, so anyone who's showing any symptoms should be treated as if they were deeply unreliable at best, and actively a sleeper agent at worst. Heck, that's another reason why they shouldn't have brought Jace along — his whole thing is that he's really good at screwing with people's heads.

Are we sure that Jace wasn't a sleeper agent before this set? That'd make a lot of things make more sense...

Agree with this - it's almost Assemble the Legion but two mana cheaper, which is likely too strong for your cube based on a quick look at the list. Not sure if it'll tear up Standard, but pretty sure it'll see play.
No it is nowhere close to assemble the legion.
1) Serra zealot nullifies the forge
2) the legion truly snowballs since those tokens stay.

On the fifth turn in play the forge gives you a 5/1 trample haste while the legion has given you 6 tokens before this turn (which are still there if they did not die) and 5 now. Yes it is 2 mana cheaper, but also a lot weaker.

View attachment 7913

So far, this is the card that interests me the most. That being said, I really have trouble evaluating it, which is why I wanted to bring it up again for discussion.

I usually dislike snowbally threats, but this is kinda slow and maybe predictable enough that I'm okay with it. I like how well it would probably play in wildfire, sacrifice and - to a lesser degree - artifact decks in my format. But it's the brutal inevitability that scares me a bit. Once resolved against a slow dimir control or dredge deck this 3-drop seems pretty close to unbeatable.

My cube just isn't the place where I want 3-drops that can win on their own I guess ...
It is not that strong. Yes it will poop out a x/1 trample haste but the sacrifice at the end of turn is what makes it rather weak. I think it is nice to see it against a dimir control deck. It forces the control deck to operate on a different axis without being dead in the water.

View attachment 7914

Huh, that's a really cool design. It's basically a split card between Smelt and Kuldrotha Rebirth. Either artifact removal or a synergy piece for yours.

I adore this card. Would absolutely consider it...if it had the art from Kuldrotha Rebirth.

The whole set absent a handful of cards was spoiled in Spanish, so if Train's ready to make the testing thread, I've got my picks nearly ready to write out! Can't say I love the leaks from a spoiler season perspective, but I did not have the self-control to avoid the low res cards in a language I only nominally have studied.

Also:

thefairbasilica.jpg

EDIT: Is it fair that I'm sad that this A+ art ended up on a land that ETBs tapped? I wasn't getting my hopes up or anything and it's admittedly not awful, but I'd prefer a Secluded Steppe to this in 7 out of 10 situations and I don't think I'd cube with the best cycle lands unless they had a different drawback (or cost 1 generic to cycle). Glad it's in the game, though.

Last edited: