Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

Wasn't today the day where they wanted to have their preview season debut stream?

It's not that I'm bursting with excitement, I really just want to know what battle does to decide whether I want to integrate this into my Pokécube before having it printed these days.
That’s next week.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I do think Knight Errant isn't all that strong comapred to designs of today.

Pros:
-Permanent effects on the minus
-Super reasonable and reachable ult that doesn't just say "you win"

Cons:
-Lifelink tokens are more powerful but another slightly different token in the box
-Might need to add flying counters to the dice bag.

IDK, maybe there's some other white 4 I should be running instead of either elspeth :p

Yeah, Knight-Errant isn't the house it once was but I'd say that's just better in the long run as walkers are almost always the best card type in non-combo environments.

It's still got enough game to just get the job done in most cubes and it's just a solid card with good gameplay patterns. I've found that the combination of The Wandering Emperor and Elspeth, Knight-Errant is more than enough due to how readily they can fill in roles through a variety of different W/x archetypes.

en_81f6e1ebca.pngen_9e4f5f5151.png

Honestly? Super cool card.

I do love enabling weird 5C decks, especially with the safety net of its 1GG cost to shut out decks without already-good mana or a solid G base. Self-mill always deserves more love, and the art is great too, at least on the standard edition.

I always want to be overly vigilant with my PW inclusions since they have more potential than most to create unpleasant situations, but I'm sorely tempted here, even with having another 'walker at this exact cost that I'm not willing to swap out yet.

Super cool card.

Probably very powerful since it costs 3. The lands can both attack and block because of vigilance and the "until your next turn." We're entering the era where planeswalkers that cost 4 are difficult to find room for in any non-Standard format (@Jason Waddell please don't tag anyone to have them bring up a Common format or stuff like that). If you want to include planeswalkers in your Commander, Modern or Legacy deck, it better cost 3 mana or be one of the best of the best 4 mana value.

For my cube it doesn't work although it has some key 5-color text because it's a planeswalker and I cannot include those too early.

Are we getting a card spoiled every day? I thought it was next week they kicked things off.

Super cool card.
Probably very powerful since it costs 3. The lands can attack and block because of vigilance and the "until your next turn."

For my cube it doesn't work although it has some key 5-color text because it's a planeswalker and I cannot include those too early.

Are we getting a card spoiled every day? I thought it was next week they kicked things off.

They dripped out one story-related card yesterday and today, and I imagine one more on Monday with the last of the story pieces before we move into the official spoiler season on Tuesday.

They dripped out one story-related card yesterday and today, and I imagine one more on Monday with the last of the story pieces before we move into the official spoiler season on Tuesday.
That was the Elspeth?
Monday and Tuesday are going to be exciting then :)

Looks like an alright walker to me, seems like the most powerful part of it is just ticking up to 5 loyalty and maybe firing off 2 limited Regrowths. Like any walker it'll be pretty strong if you can curve into it a turn earlier than expected, but it doesn't really look like it does much aside from offer fixing for greedier base green decks or recursive value for graveyard stuff. The land doesn't get untapped so it's more a pseudo 4-drop and it doesn't add anything to the board. The -2 is alright, but being limited to the 3 cards that you mill away gives it less play than something like the -2 off Liliana, the Last Hope (which is limited by type, but more open-ended).

Seems like a fine supplementary walker, it's always nice to have more Regrowth-lite effects available, but I don't really see this as all that powerful or finding a home in my cube anytime soon. Among green walkers I think Garruk and W7 are just superior with more obvious archetypal support while providing bigger payoffs to those decks.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Don't be like me, this card is a Mythic regardless of how the set symbol looks on the card :p
The set symbol is horribly overwrought. I prefer simpler set symbols that clearly show the rarity color.

Also, I've seen people call this the green Dig Through Time, which seems like high praise. Consider, though, that this always costs 3 mana and dumps cards into your graveyard instead of exiling them.

Also, I've seen people call this the green Dig Through Time, which seems like high praise. Consider, though, that this always costs 3 mana and dumps cards into your graveyard instead of exiling them.
It's really good graveyard support for a green three-drop. Imagine following some sort of Goyf with this and double downticking. You get a supercharged dude, plus you have perfect mana for the two turns it's out in this scenario. That's not even Wrenn's ceiling, and it's still pretty damn good.

Like I just think this card has a lot of angles to it that aren't immediately apparent.

My gut is good not great. Im interested in it as a lower power alternative to W&6 but 3cmc is super congested in the lands archetype
My guess is this isn't a "lands deck" card and is instead a "general midrange" card. Everything this does seems good in some form of midrange archetype, but nothing pulls it in any specific direction outside of its grindy value setup. I think you're likely to get as much or more value out of this in something like a Whip deck as you are in some sort of lands matter thing.

All I know is that I want to see someone go T3 W&R into T4 Expand The Spheres + W&R ult. Because that's going to be standard legal, and won't be toxic at all.

In all seriousness, though, I think it's pretty solid, even if you mostly just treat it like a 3/3 haste hexproof vigilance that perfectly fixes your mana and ignores wraths for {2}{G}{G}.

I'm amazed at how they managed to take such a radical and evocative concept and turn it into something this bland.
but sure, the card looks reasonably strong. The +1 is probably a lot worse than it seems on first impression, it has a reasonably high opportunity cost in a lot of game-states if you don't have instant-speed plays, which conflicts a bit with the -2 in terms of deckbuilding approach, but I'm sure you can find suitable configurations. Certainly wouldn't draw any parallels to Dig Through Time though, that card plays very differently.

I'm amazed at how they managed to take such a radical and evocative concept and turn it into something this bland.
but sure, the card looks reasonably strong. The +1 is probably a lot worse than it seems on first impression, it has a reasonably high opportunity cost in a lot of game-states if you don't have instant-speed plays, which conflicts a bit with the -2 in terms of deckbuilding approach, but I'm sure you can find suitable configurations. Certainly wouldn't draw any parallels to Dig Through Time though, that card plays very differently.
I've always liked to say, "there are three elements you can choose to add to a planeswalker design: You can make it Playable, you can make it Innovative, and you can make it Balanced. As a designer, you can choose no more than two."

I think they picked "Playable" and "Balanced" for this one.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Super cool card.

Probably very powerful since it costs 3. The lands can both attack and block because of vigilance and the "until your next turn." We're entering the era where planeswalkers that cost 4 are difficult to find room for in any non-Standard format (@Jason Waddell please don't tag anyone to have them bring up a Common format or stuff like that). If you want to include planeswalkers in your Commander, Modern or Legacy deck, it better cost 3 mana or be one of the best of the best 4 mana value.

@Velrun