General (WHO) Dr. Who Spoilers

startthetardis.jpg

I could see myself trying this and just remove the whole planeswalk thing. Great with madness and delve.

I suspect that a lot of the blandness of the Doctors in particular comes from the fact that they have to play somewhat well and a little synergistically with each companion, which is an absurd number of permutations. They probably decided that they wanted companions to go with any doctor early on in the process and then felt priced into continuing with that decision even when it began to break down.

I also suspect that part of the problem is that Doctor Who is really huge and scattered in comparison to WH40k or LotR - they need to somehow fit references to, what, 42 years worth of a TV series, including spinoffs and movies, into a single set of cards? Especially since, you know, they need to slip in all of the references that the Whovians want to see, along with all of the Doctors and all of the companions.

That just seems like a crazily tall order to me, especially since (from what I know about Doctor Who) it's not really a great mechanical fit for Magic (which is very... wizard-dual-y).

Because better commanders don't necessarily make for more fun Commander games and because it's easier to create a wide variety of Commanders at a lower power band. Like I said, the needs and wants of Commander don't really align with those of other formats, particularly Cube (unless you run a Commander Cube, obviously).
I think you're right. I just think this was the wrong decision given the generally broad appeal of Dr. Who. They nerfed these cards so much that the key characters don't feel much like anything.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But don't you get it? Once you ramp out an overcosted six-drop and wait a turn to attack with it, you triple your number of overcosted six-drops every turn! That's value, that is!
I mean this is going come out on turn 5 with haste if you build a deck around it. Maybe add a Dolmen Gate and extra attack steps and go ham! Also fun with Barter in Blood effects! Obviously dies to sweepers, but this is a sweet line of text :)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
There are currently the usual EDH suspects grumbling about how every Clone these days gets around the legend rule as if a. that weren't a natural response to their own format making every cool creature a Legend in a 100-card singleton context and b. that weren't an entire explicit plot point of the Dr Who franchise!!

I am personally happy that these cards aren’t power creeping the game forward. Imagine a world where we are trying to play Magic cards together with The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Warhammer 40k and Doctor Who cards. It just doesn’t feel right. At least with DnD and The Lord of the Rings the aesthetics is on point. Robots, space, telephones, cars etc. feels weird and a huge sell out. Also being able to planeswalk to Earth is also cringe. Had they just made them silver-bordered (given them the acorn hologram) it would have been fine. Now they are played in Legacy and Commander. The game is worse overall from it.

On the other hand I am also sad that the people who would have loved for these cards to be more playable (when it comes to power level) because they are Doctor Who fans doesn’t get what they want. We can’t all win. And I certainly lost with Warhammer 40k.

sisterhoodofkarn.jpg

I wonder if this might actually be too much, it's pretty easy to enable, and two triggers makes it a 2 mana 8/8 which is quite unreasonable.

It's actually three triggers... which isn't that much more reasonable?
No, not with rebound/flashback/retrace/red draw variant and so on. There is a reason that exponential is difficult in all fields. Luckely it can be chump blocked all day.

…Imagine a world where we are trying to play Magic cards together with The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Warhammer 40k and Doctor Who cards. It just doesn’t feel right. At least with DnD and The Lord of the Rings the aesthetics is on point...
I also suspect that part of the problem is that Doctor Who is really huge and scattered in comparison to WH40k or LotR - they need to somehow fit references to, what, 42 years worth of a TV series, including spinoffs and movies, into a single set of cards? Especially since, you know, they need to slip in all of the references that the Whovians want to see, along with all of the Doctors and all of the companions.

That just seems like a crazily tall order to me, especially since (from what I know about Doctor Who) it's not really a great mechanical fit for Magic (which is very... wizard-dual-y).
I broadly agree with these sentiments. The references go back 60 years to the first episode: An Unearthly Child. I started watching Doctor Who over 42 years ago and used to consider myself a fan until I met a real fan.

Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40K are reasonable fits for magic because they are about conflict. When I read a line like “Whenever The Eleventh Doctor deals combat damage” I experience a massive thematic disconnect: The Doctor eschews any kind of violence.

Last edited: