Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
you know, i didn't find this too hard to parse, but maybe this is just the idiotic SAT tutor mindset

When CFB made the "Horribly worded cards" list, I think this was #2? Ice cauldron was either #1 or not on the list, because they did put some consideration to how often the ruling comes up (You'll actually play with sylvan library, nobody fucking cares about ice cauldron)

Edit: #2 it looks like

you know, i didn't find this too hard to parse, but maybe this is just the idiotic SAT tutor mindset

When I read this card the first time I was immediately reminded of the logic problems on the LSAT. This card is almost intentionally worded to be hard to understand.

You really shouldn't have to jump through mental hoops to figure out what happens when you play a card. This game has enough nuances without cards that mind fuck you or have 10 lines of text.

While we are on the subject, this is my biggest beef with protection actually (as that is not intuitive either and guys who aren't rules lawyers tend to get confused by it). This kind of stuff simply makes the game less accessible to people.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
To anyone too lazy to actually watch the video, dead ringers actually does "Destroy two target creatures as long as they are the exact same colors and neither creature is black"

I mean if your cube is promoting mostly 1-2 color decks, 5 mana double doom blade is not horrible...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
When I read this card the first time I was immediately reminded of the logic problems on the LSAT. This card is almost intentionally worded to be hard to understand.

The worst part about that test was how it had nothing to do with actual law school.

To anyone too lazy to actually watch the video, dead ringers actually does "Destroy two target creatures as long as they are the exact same colors and neither creature is black"

I mean if your cube is promoting mostly 1-2 color decks, 5 mana double doom blade is not horrible...

No, but what is horrible is all of the creative ways my players would come up with to misplay it D:

The worst part about that test was how it had nothing to do with actual law school.

I didn't go, but that is what I heard. And frankly, I can't imagine that type of abstract logic being taught in law school. What purpose would it serve? What jury (or judge for that matter) would understand you?

I ended up in IT. And if there's one thing that has become clear to me over the years, it's KISS. Most people have a difficult time with complexity. So you really need to operate at the lowest common denominator whenever possible or you just confuse people and create problems for everyone.

Now if the only circles you travel in are with Mensa alums, fine. Convolute away.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I didn't go, but that is what I heard. And frankly, I can't imagine that type of abstract logic being taught in law school. What purpose would it serve? What jury (or judge for that matter) would understand you?

Cochran:
...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!​

Gerald Broflovski:
Damn it!... He's using the Chewbacca defense!​

Cochran:
Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.​
Edit: When you start posting the chewbacca defense that probably means enough riptide for one night....​

Dom Harvey

Contributor
we interrupt this broadcast to bring you magic: the gathering

marducharm.jpg

This is a sweet one!

rakshasadeathdealer.jpg

This is a reasonably interesting and powerful card that absolutely should not be rare.

I find the charm sort of cumbersome. 3 coloured mana is pretty expensive for all it's modes and I wonder if there is enough incentive. I hope I am wrong.

The Rakshasa bothers me because it's hands aren't on backwards and in dnd protection abilities or hexproof are pretty inherent in their flavor.
Also is this the smallest demon we've ever seen? I guess people always find the backwards hands especially disturbing though.

18a5a32ed66c0c3fdcfff4402a76fa2d-d6n1467.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Is it weird for a mode on a 3-mana card to be Duress?

It's Vendilion Clique-esque

Given it's also kinda terminate and kinda waylay (more kinda than waylay here) I think it's a sweet card. Blah blah blah 3 color card etc etc etc.

Honestly, I think if enough of these cards are sweet, I'll increase the overall density of my manafixing and go up to 6 cycles @450 so everyone can easily jam 3 color decks. If it's that or include 3-4 cards from this entire set, maybe my cube wants a nice big change for a while.

Also Eric: I remember you saying that steppe lynx was horrible in your cube because people were snapping up fetchlands so quickly. Clearly your format has survived without it, but given that now you have modern frame allied fetches, if you wanted to bring the landfall crew back in going up to Shock/Shock/Fetch/Fetch/Fetch I think would make them worth it again. I've tried it (Though my cube is ~120 cards bigger) and people were fetching basics after a few cracks, but that's hardly horrible manafixing (Most of us do still run evolving wilds after all).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've already been running Wooded Foothills and friends for the past year and a half, actually. See, I knew they were bound for Modern someday - the format of my cube has been "Future Modern" all along.

en_x4p59deuyk.png

This is not better than Aetherling, right?

meanderingtowershell.jpg

hahaha look at this dumb custom card, such a bad design

oh wait its real

what the fuck

I'm not getting why this is a Sultai card rather than a tenner card. Other than temur ascension, what does this have synergy with? Board wipes? Evolve? Is it worth it?

Yeah this is the return of phasing. I'm sure R&D will have a great explanation why this is fun and a hot new relevant design.