Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

a neglected gripe against Khans is how these cards are not only 3-color monstrosities, but they're also midrange as fuck

That's almost unavoidable though. They can't cost less than 3 and you can't expect an aggro deck to always have three colors on turn 3, so really you can only make an aggro card a 4 drop. Not a lot of design space with those constraints.

Tri-color sets can't help but suck due to the inherently restrictive casting cost.

EDIT: Although I guess you could do hybrids or toss stuff as activated costs, etc. I'm being a little myopic about it I suppose, but I think the color restriction is a problem anyway you slice it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That's almost unavoidable though. They can't cost less than 3 and you can't expect an aggro deck to always have three colors on turn 3, so really you can only make an aggro card a 4 drop. Not a lot of design space with those constraints.

Tri-color sets can't help but suck due to the inherently restrictive casting cost.

EDIT: Although I guess you could do hybrids or toss stuff as activated costs, etc. I'm being a little myopic about it I suppose, but I think the color restriction is a problem anyway you slice it.

I don't know, right now the format looks like its curve starts at 3 mana, which seems like really bad design. Between the morphs, mana fixing banners, and 3 color cards, I figure I can just draft 2 color grizzly bear.dec and tempo out the people trying to cast one spell a turn until turn 6.

That icefeather aven looks like it will be nuts in draft as well, a 2 drop flyer that can bounce off of its morph seems crazy good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's a lot of two-drops in this format spoiled so far, and morph ensures that they can trade up favorably. A lot of these cards should probably be played as bears with late game upside.

The translation off MTGS for now:

Bloodstained Hero can't block.

Raid: - 1{B} : Return Bloodstained Hero from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if you attacked with a creature this turn

HBST_JP_BC_9-10-2014-L.png

I loooooooove this card. So much.

He's basically a suicide attacker who can recur himself since he'll trigger Raid for the turn even if he's the only one attacking. This is one resilient mofo.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You know, Gnarled Scarhide didn't really fit the themes of what I'm doing in black, but this guy sounds awesome.

I don't think he's a 4 for 4 swap for gravecrawler since that cost is certainly nonzero, but this card is sweet!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Grim Haruspex is wonderful.

jeskaiascendancy3.jpg

This is really cool if real.

en_y1e9n8llkj.png

Good for spells-matter in a lower powered Cube?

Jeskai Ascendancy seems a little win more assuming it's translated correctly. (At the moment it reads: "Whenever you play a noncreature spell, creatures you control get +1/+1, untap them, and you may loot)

the looting does draw you into more noncreature spells, but anthems that make you need to play a creature each turn worry me. Also some idiot is really excited to animate his gilded lotus and go infinite with this thing and some cheap buyback spell.

Goblinslide seems weak. even young pyromancer has trouble bring good in my cube sometimes, and this seems much much worse, other than being hard to remove.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Jeskai Ascendancy isn't going to be good in a conventional UWR deck, but if you're set up to play it (which doesn't require too much work IMO), you can go completely animal if you get to untap with it.

EDIT: I positively guarantee I will be writing about at least one terrible Modern deck featuring this card a few weeks from now.

So, surrak looks cool... not digging the ferocious mechanic yet. The threshold is reasonable but the spells are almost strictly worse than any close comparisons. The ferocious payoff isn't good enough especially considering how fragile a creature can be. Delve is also not so exciting yet. Send like they're once again playing too safe with their set.