Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nah, I started in Odyssey, but I like the change. ETB fits better I think.
Comes into play always fit awkwardly in my mouth, in a manner of speaking

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'd like to have that changed to something more elegant, the same way 'put a _ token onto the battlefield' became 'create a _ token'

('When ~ spawns...'?)

At the time I thought "enters the battlefield" was too "let's sell this to teenagers"... but now "battlefield" and "exile" sound a lot better and clearer to me, and better match the other zones "library" and "graveyard". "Mana value" already sounds better to me than "converted mana cost".

Mana value might sound better in word form, but to me CMC >>> MV when spoken as an acronym. CMC just flows so nicely.

Is it an Aggressive deck? Because the Verge eats a lot of tempo outside of formats like EDH. comes in tapped, costs "3" mana to activate, lands ETB tapped. If that lost mana efficiency is ok for the deck, then it's definitely an option.

Mana value might sound better in word form, but to me CMC >>> MV when spoken as an acronym. CMC just flows so nicely.

But that’s just fan words. I know we just had about 10 comments about CMC so it’s not fair I’m singling you out. But in game it will always be Converted Mana Cost vs. Mana Value and the latter just sounds more flavorful. And it’s shorter.

But that’s just fan words. I know we just had about 10 comments about CMC so it’s not fair I’m singling you out. But in game it will always be Converted Mana Cost vs. Mana Value and the latter just sounds more flavorful. And it’s shorter.
Do many people besides fans have to read the words on magic cards? Not really, it's almost entirely fans. So how does "fan words" minimize the importance of acronyms sounding good? A phrase change is basically only impacting fans and the words they use.
I've almost never heard a player say "converted mana cost" out loud in a game, even if all of the cards are actually printed with "converted mana cost". They say CMC. I say CMC. Now I have to decide whether to say "CMC" or "MV", and personally, "MV" sounds a lot worse to me (a fan).

'MV' 'Emry?' 'no, MV' 'what's that?' 'mana value, the new word for cmc' 'so, why don't you just say cmc?'

I bet people will still say cmc over mv, just as they still write cipt.

I don't think people will say MV at all- "Mana Value" is short enough to be practical to say without the need for an acronym. In that regard, it's actually a step up over converted mana cost, which was both wordy and somewhat confusing to new players.

I still think many people will say CMC over Mana Value (just as people still call "Commander" EDH). However, I think the new term is better because it doesn't need an acronym to be practical to discuss. The term "Mana Value" has a really good flow in it's own right.

"CMC 4" >> "mana value 4" when i sound it out. Maybe most other people will get along fine, but it doesnt flow nearly as well for me

Do many people besides fans have to read the words on magic cards? Not really, it's almost entirely fans. So how does "fan words" minimize the importance of acronyms sounding good? A phrase change is basically only impacting fans and the words they use.
I've almost never heard a player say "converted mana cost" out loud in a game, even if all of the cards are actually printed with "converted mana cost". They say CMC. I say CMC. Now I have to decide whether to say "CMC" or "MV", and personally, "MV" sounds a lot worse to me (a fan).

The following are my personal experiences

I have played the game since it’s beginning and therefore also been around for the entire converted mana cost era and I have never heard anyone say the letters “CMC” out loud. I think that must be an American thing. They didn’t do it in Gernany, Sweden or Spain either or Denmark where I am from. I often see Americans write the short version but I actually never thought you said ‘CMC’ out loud since it takes about as long to say as ‘converted mana cost’.

Do you also do that with everything else? I know you don’t say Federal Bureau of Investigation which makes sense because it takes so long to say.

I have also never heard anyone say RFTG or RFG (Remove from the game) but I hear people say exile. I also never hear people say out loud BoP but instead they say Birds of Paradise. But they write BoP.

I could be wrong. These are only my personal experiences but they expand over more than two-and-half decades.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

How fun is this in a fair cube that does run Emry, Lurker of the Loch?

Petal allows you to cast her on turn 1, for those unaware, since mana cost locks in before you have to sacrifice the Petal for mana.

I've personally found rituals to be much less problematic than fast mana like Mox Dismond and Chrome Mox, and the Petal looks like it has some play to it as a cheap artifact.

Reactions: dbs