Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Opinions don't matter when it comes to definitions.

Multiplayer: "When more than one player can play in the same environment at the same time."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_video_game

According to fandom for Magic: the Gathering: "A multiplayer game of magic is each a mode of the card game that involves more than two players."
(Link provided by Rasmus)
https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Multiplayer

And thus I stand corrected. I didn't know multiplayer meant something different in Magic than it does everywhere else. I know now! :)

Guys I just said I stood corrected :p Do we need to loop the conversation?

Dictionary, define the word 'Multi': "More than one."
Dictionary, define the word 'Multiplayer': "When more than one player can play in the same environment at the same time."

However in Magic they changed the meaning. According to the Fandom that Rasmus, then me, then Sigh all quoted and linked to, the definition is: "A multiplayer game of magic is each a mode of the card game that involves more than two players."

So I stand corrected. In Magic 'multiplayer' means 3+ players. I did not know this before but now I do :D Thank you guys <3

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Count on magic to have a specific deffinition for this shit :p
Velrun was technically correct (The best kind of correct) for a joke, but the rules are like "Nah son"

That card pisses me off in standard, but maybe for the right reasons? It's powerful, but I think you can survive the discard, and it takes some deck building to be able to cast it consistently.

The Titans are less obnoxious in a draft environment (since you can't fill your graveyard with cards as quickly or as consistently, and that escape cost is pretty color intensive). And of the two, Kroxa is by far the fairer card.
Can someone look at my cube and tell me whether or not to run Kroxa? 6/6 for 6 ETB +2 scares me, but BBBRRR costs is alluring.
All Magic games are multiplayer games.

Not if you play dredge.

I dunno, depends on what complexity level you allow in cube. It doesn't have any reminder text about what foretell is, and I don't know how many of us are going to be running a huge amount of foretell cards for drafters to learn about it naturally in the draft?

Can I get everyone to do two things for me?

1. Tell me if you think this blowout potential is cool or terrifying:

2. Click on this link and hit ‘like’ so when I direct the artist to Riptidelab she will see her alter has many likes? She’s such an awesome person and deserves all the love we can give. She teaches other artists on how to improve their skills in her spare time and truly goes the extra mile for the customer even months after being paid <3

Here is the link
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/the-alter-thread.1899/page-3#post-95975

I think it's cool. Being able to wipe tokens completely is a nice feature IMO, and it offers a little puzzle for trying to maximize it's value. It's really tricky for it to be more of a blowout than, say, damnation, so I don't think that's a major concern, but I suppose it could happen every now and then that you completely wipe the opponent while leaving your board untouched. Very rare occurrence in my estimation.

Yeah I mean normally you would try to curve out, either one drops and two drops or higher up on the curve with three drops and four drops. I think you'd rarely curve out into a blow out here.

That's still not much of a blowout unless your three drop is extremely overpowered. And they were liable to have cast a 1 and/or 3 drop besides their 2 and 4 drop. In the average game it would take some planning to come out far ahead on using Extinction Event.

Odd vs even seems pretty high variance and significantly more random and difficult to build around than something like Consume the Meek or Pernicious Deed where you can use creatures like Gurmag Angler or Nemesis of Mortals or a card like Barter in Blood with Bloodghast, etc. It seems like it might be a sideboard card against aggro and token strategies. If your cube is a 2-drop aggro environment primarily then you are talking about having an even higher impact against decks that want to attack since tokens are also even. I imagine a lot of times it will just destroy your opponent's best creature and maybe one of your own.

I'm not sure it's all that interesting to me tbh.

With maybe the exception of pairing it with a card like Birthing Pod, where you have a chance to sculpt the cmc of your creatures in play some.....but that seems pretty fringe, situational, and glacially slow.

I've seen it played in standard so it's not all that weak, I think you can probably do some interesting things with it if you try to be a little selective with your spot removal before playing the extinction event.

This card exists in several versions. The original has reminder text and the extended art (Puma) doesn’t.
Here is a link to all versions:
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=!"Dream Devourer"&unique=prints

This means it is possible to run a version with reminder text if the cube owner wishes to do so.

Cool! Thanks, I guess it's mostly mythics that don't have reminder text?

Cool! Thanks, I guess it's mostly mythics that don't have reminder text?

The special versions of Foretell cards don't seem to have the reminder text. I just did a quick Scryfall search and the normal version of all Foretell cards have reminder text except for:

And based off the text box, it's due to space restraints. Every other Foretell card clearly spells out what the mechanic does.