Part of it is I'm not running reanimator. You could print U mill yourself for 12 and it'd be fine if the best thing you get off it is think twice

Kind of. I think a high density of smaller payoffs is a big deal, too. But probably if I avoid any THICC payoffs and make sure not to totally overload the free yard shit like Bloodghast and Amalgam type effects, it can't burst anyone out. Maybe it wins an attrition war easily, but, it's Grixis, after all.

Thanks, brother. Your cube is a good model for this concern.

In a five pair/five shard cube, would you rather:
Run double fetch, double shock plus some other cycles to fill out to 10%ish lands
With the "land drops are untapped" rule, run double trilands, double temples, 1-2 sets desert cycle duals, fill out the rest
Other idea

And
Have you ever run enemy colored cards in these cubes? If yes, did they mislead drafters?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In a five pair/five shard cube, would you rather:
Run double fetch, double shock plus some other cycles to fill out to 10%ish lands
With the "land drops are untapped" rule, run double trilands, double temples, 1-2 sets desert cycle duals, fill out the rest
Other idea
I like double fetch, double shock in my cube (I have 55/450 fixing, which is a bit higher than 10% by the way). One particular reason I like it, is that it favors aggressive decks, because of the life loss it requires if you want to play these untapped. A format based around shards is intrinsically going to be a bit slower, simply because two colored and tricolored cards have a minimum number of pips and thus a higher average cmc. Dropping the etb tapped clause on your suggested lands means you're giving perfect mana to slower decks. I have no idea if that makes aggro less viable, especially because aggro looks different in the -1 cube, but it is something to consider at least.

And
Have you ever run enemy colored cards in these cubes? If yes, did they mislead drafters?
I have never. The whole idea is to provide excellent fixing and a deep enough card pool for players to fight with each other over colors but still end up with a functioning deck. Including enemy colored cards defeats that purpose. They basically can be played by the same subset of drafters as the tricolored cards, but they are much, much worse (actually utter crap) at signaling what colors are supported in your cube.

Alright. Basically my thoughts.

I think the Temple/Tri setup should be similar in consistency to Shock/Dual, perhaps a bit better. But you're right. 3-5 life per game matters a lot. Maybe pain lands could balance that out the other way. Or multiple Mana Confluence, which is a sweet card anyways for a format that's going to support a bit of a 5c theme in order to be true to the original. Or I'll make Islands cost a life to tap. ;)

The enemy 2c cards are definitely weak signals, but there's a few that are more appealing than the 3c cards once you go -1 on the cost. I might try one and see if it fucks anyone up lol. I don't have my eyes on a particular 2c cards here, however, so I may ultimately not try it. I just seem to remember going through some stuff and thinking it was more appealing. Definitely prefer to avoid it, but might try it if a card is enough of a better fit.