Sets (AFR) Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Previews- Dripping with Flavor, and Excess Words!

Krydle is a cool card, but scry 1 instead of surveil 1 is a bit meeeh. Still cool.

1625057466430.png
Solid black 2 drop beefcake with staying power. Is it that "cool" or "synergistic"? Not really. I guess good with Gisa and Geralf, flinging itself into trades that might otherwise be a little frisky.

You find some intriguing shatters

1625067276273.png

Edit. Two things
I think I really want to cube this, although I'd probably like it more if it was your library, mechanically
I am 99% sure I've dreamed of seeing this exact card months ago, but it's probably just some weird dejavu stuff in my brain.

Xanathar-Guild-Kingpin-extended-AFR-265.jpg

This is perfect for my UB kill you with your own stuff theme.
@Peter LaCara How well does that theme work for you? Sorry for the necro, I meant to bring this up when you mentioned it but got distracted. Ravnic's previous comment made me think of it. Do you run into the problem of people mixing up cards at the end of games? For context this is something I've wanted to make work for a while but have been daunted by the logistics of.

I want to rave about this design for a minute.

1625076607585.png

1) The ETB effect is less oppressive than Ravenous Chupacabra or similar, because you have to spend a bunch of mana to repeatedly kill creatures with it via blink/recursion.
2) The power of the ETB relative to the size of the body is more to my liking than a 2/2 with a stronger ETB effect.
3) The cost to dissolve scales with the mana value of the target, which helps to keep some larger creatures playable even if they don't have huge ETB effects attached to them.
4) The opponent can interact with this by killing the ooze before you get a chance to spend the mana to kill the creature. I think this should result in some interesting decisions on both sides sometimes.
5) The flavor resonates pretty well with the mechanics, although I probably would have called the second ability "suffocate" instead of "dissolve" given the implication that a corpse is left behind.

79EAC25C-685E-466D-A844-D8B3CC6420BB.png

This card is up my alley. I love artifacts like these. I might even consider having Dungeons in my cube now. Maybe not.

How are you guys feeling about Dungeons in your cube? Yay, nay?

Pass for me, just not a fan of mechanics that end up being this narrow. It's how I felt about energy outside of KLD block; juice just wasn't worth the squeeze. I'll probably enjoy it at prerelease and/or in a draft or two, but I don't see myself revisiting it beyond that.

It might be slightly better than Languish imo
Yeah, Phyrexian Scriptures never did anything. This is more flexible and exiles, but waiting a turn is REALLY bad.
So we're right back where I started?
{ZOMBIE}
Solid black 2 drop beefcake with staying power. Is it that "cool" or "synergistic"?
Kinda works with Ninjas. Pretty unappealing to block your 3/2 and give you back a 2/2 in the early game.
Same, unless there is an absolute banger card that has the venture mechanic.
That's where I'm on the the modal spells. Really dislike how it appears that there's two unique keywords on each. Maybe I'd like it more if they had bolded the words or something.

Pretty torn. Just off the back of Nadaar, Selfless Paladin, there's enough to justify their inclusion from a power level basis, and there's a lot of cool and interesting decisions they allow for, but the level of complication they bring...

I'm already planning on creating and printing out a cheat sheet to explain all the recent mechanics from Eldraine's adventures on, many of which I simply couldn't help but include like companions (there's no way I wouldn't keep Lurrus off my list, companion ability or not, and then the rest are basically free from a complexity-creep POV). I was more cautious with the MDFCs in Kaldheim and Strixhaven then I would've liked and still had issues with the "unrelated essays on both sides of cards" situation during the first post-COVID draft we've done. (As a clarification, though, Adventures are fine with most players, but they just aren't immediately clear if you haven't played with them before).

It's probably just not worth it to include the Dungeon mechanic in my cube unless there's at least two or three other Nadaar-level cards, at which point, I'll still be pretty anxious about doing it.

Sharpie the fuck outta Lurrus. Fuck Companion.

Seems like every card today says "venture" on it. No dungeons feels like I'll be skipping half a set here. I'll have to take a look at what the dungeons actually do.

froghemoth.jpg

Big Haste Ooze. I think I like it. 4/4 for 5 is a little unappealing, but I like everything else. 5/4 or 4/5 would have sold me. There is, of course, an issue with fitting a green 5 drop, as well.

Krydle is a cool card, but scry 1 instead of surveil 1 is a bit meeeh. Still cool.
wight.jpg

Solid black 2 drop beefcake with staying power. Is it that "cool" or "synergistic"? Not really. I guess good with Gisa and Geralf, flinging itself into trades that might otherwise be a little frisky.
Oh this card looks super cool. It looks like it fits really well in Zombies, as well as various Power Matters archetypes such as Equipment and +1/+1 Counters. This card looks like it will take a little bit of work to fit into a normal archetype shell, but there's a lot of potential here. A skilled designer could make this card do something super cool.

You find some intriguing shatters

View attachment 4637

Edit. Two things
I think I really want to cube this, although I'd probably like it more if it was your library, mechanically
I am 99% sure I've dreamed of seeing this exact card months ago, but it's probably just some weird dejavu stuff in my brain.
I'll be replacing *several* Disenchant/Shatter variants in my artifact cube *fo sho* after this set. All modal now? DON'T MIND IF I DO!! so good!!!

I'm a bit surprised this one hasn't come up yet:
yuantimalison.jpg

Our little snake friend here seems like a really good enabler for people trying to make the Ninja deck work. It can't be blocked when it's attacking alone, making it an incredibly slick way to get the Ninjutsu train rolling. Outside of Ninjas, this card looks like a pretty decent tempo threat. You can slam it early before the opponent has a chance to react (or the desire to kill it), and then protect it with counter spells and removal for the rest of the game.

yeah the snek is in my short list of cards to test, but i wouldn’t want to run without additional venture support, which at this point is probably coming from customs

i’m absolutely gonna test it, i really like all the silly nonsense in this set. my plan is to run a few of the best real Venture cards and flesh out my support for the archetype with customs. the “real” dungeons are fine as printed as long as there are good Venture cards, IMO.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
i’m absolutely gonna test it, i really like all the silly nonsense in this set. my plan is to run a few of the best real Venture cards and flesh out my support for the archetype with customs. the “real” dungeons are fine as printed as long as there are good Venture cards, IMO.
Same! Really interesting mechanic, but I don't know if the support is there in the main set itself. With a little bit of luck one of the Commander decks adds some extra support as well.