Card/Deck Ahadabans Newest Least Favorite Card Ever

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
jkaskjldamnwsd9sdk2d_EN.jpg

I'm not sure if this card has a purpose in Legacy or Vintage, but as a cube card, this is pretty unacceptable. The -2 is a card in and of itself and considering how good the +1 one is, it basically reads "feel really bad about thinking it was ok to play the artifact you drafted." I mean, some cards will be good against other card, but having one that basically completely randomly punches you in the face for playing a card type (not a type of card, a card type!) while also being a completely playable card otherwise is just awful.

If you had a cube without any artifacts in it, though, this card is a hilariously cool digging engine.

CML

Contributor
If it fits well for a powermax cube for lovers of artifacts, must be great fun for those of us who don't

edit: graveyard and looting themes are so lame

said nobody ever

CML

Contributor
dack is awesome you guys are fools if you're not at least testing it. of course it could still be no fun at all.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
No, seriously, I hate this card worse then TNN. TNN is just a stupid card that makes games hugely unfun for everyone involved, but in a consistently boring manner. Dack would be completely playable if he only had the +1. That would be a fun, cool card. However, he has that -2 of steal artifact. A three mana card, which would be completely playable already, has a FOUR MANA effect just randomly tacked on for no fucking reason! Liliana of the Viel would be a worse version of a card no one plays with only the +1 gets a two mana effect as her -2 at the same cost and she is a fucking amazing card. Nevermind Steal Artifact is amazingly swingy and screws you over for playing an artifact? Since when is that a crime?

This is a great card for the sharpie.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I really like the +1 - it's very healthy to have a cheap, card-drawing planeswalker that doesn't create an avalanche of card advantage if not dealt with. I agree that the -2 is very out of place though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No, seriously, I hate this card worse then TNN. TNN is just a stupid card that makes games hugely unfun for everyone involved, but in a consistently boring manner. Dack would be completely playable if he only had the +1. That would be a fun, cool card. However, he has that -2 of steal artifact. A three mana card, which would be completely playable already, has a FOUR MANA effect just randomly tacked on for no fucking reason! Liliana of the Viel would be a worse version of a card no one plays with only the +1 gets a two mana effect as her -2 at the same cost and she is a fucking amazing card. Nevermind Steal Artifact is amazingly swingy and screws you over for playing an artifact? Since when is that a crime?

This is a great card for the sharpie.

Yeah man I totally board out my creatures when I know my opponent plays control magic

I'm with CML here. Play worse artifacts :p

All this angst is totally unnecessary guys. Card type = Planeswalker. You don't need to read any further. Auto un-include. :)

On a side note, the looting effect is sweet. The steal artifact effect is not (I'm with FSR on that). It would have been OK if the effect lasted only as long as Dack was in play, but as it stands it will pretty broken.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Remember when the opponent cast control magic on your dude, it only cost three mana, you couldn't destroy it and on top of that if you didn't waste a burn spell, extremely specific removal spell or an unblocked creature in the next two turns they got to filter 2 cards and then cast a second control magic for free?

The looting is cool, but its not worth randomly fucking people who want to play artifacts. If I didn't want people to play artifacts, I just wouldn't play any.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like the analysis of the CMC of effects versus the CMC of the Planeswalker. Are there other PWs with weird disparities? Curiously, JTMS is comprised mostly of (extremely efficient) 1-CMC effects.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Its tricky because some Planeswalker abilities are best compared to permanent effects (which stop being permanent once you use a different ability) while others are just one shot effects. Also while is is completely true that JtMS's +0 is brainstorm, in practice it seems different because if you had 7 cards and then brainstormed three times you'd still have 7 cards, but if you had 7 cards and dropped Jace and +0'd him three times, you'd have 9. Obviously Garruk's beasts and Ral's bolts don't cost you cards to play either, but I think "not costing a card" is a much bigger functional change on a filter effect then a creature or a burn spell.

Anyway, they vary very wildly. Garruk gives you a one shot Coalition Relic (strong 3cc) as a +1 and Nessian Coursair (weak 3cc) as a -1, while Ral gives you a one shot more restrictive hidden strings (I have no idea the cc, but probably < 1) as a +1 and a bolt (strong 1 cc) as a -2. Its pretty wildly variable.

I like the analysis of the CMC of effects versus the CMC of the Planeswalker. Are there other PWs with weird disparities? Curiously, JTMS is comprised mostly of (extremely efficient) 1-CMC effects.

Brainstorm as an instant is different from brainstorm every turn. Consider even divining top, which isn't quite brainstorm every turn, but is still absurd.

Man, you guys are just making me want to rage on Planeswalkers again. I know no one wants to see another rant from me on that, but threads like this almost COMPEL me.

Must... resist.... urge...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Its tricky because some Planeswalker abilities are best compared to permanent effects (which stop being permanent once you use a different ability) while others are just one shot effects. Also while is is completely true that JtMS's +0 is brainstorm, in practice it seems different because if you had 7 cards and then brainstormed three times you'd still have 7 cards, but if you had 7 cards and dropped Jace and +0'd him three times, you'd have 9. Obviously Garruk's beasts and Ral's bolts don't cost you cards to play either, but I think "not costing a card" is a much bigger functional change on a filter effect then a creature or a burn spell.

Anyway, they vary very wildly. Garruk gives you a one shot Coalition Relic (strong 3cc) as a +1 and Nessian Coursair (weak 3cc) as a -1, while Ral gives you a one shot more restrictive hidden strings (I have no idea the cc, but probably < 1) as a +1 and a bolt (strong 1 cc) as a -2. Its pretty wildly variable.

Lets settle down guys. We all get to make our own game and we can all explain to each other pretty simply what we think are the benefits of our dumb design decisions.

I do think this planeswalker is super dumb despite being also super sweet.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I do kind of look forward to seeing if / how people use this in Vintage. I'm always intrigued by cards that make their only home in Vintage, although I guess "artifact" in the text is one of the major ways to make a home exclusively in Vintage.