General Alchemy

The Ogre could use the Skullbriar's text and retain almost identical functionality while being paper-printable. And give opponents an out via the aforementioned hand and library. Something like:

"Whenever ~ attacks, put a charge counter on it, then it deals damage to any target equal to the number of charge counters on it.

(Charge) counters remain on ~ as it moves to any zone other than a player’s hand or library."

Last edited:
47p7pabxog291.jpg

Hey, this might actually be a cubable Act of Treason variant.

Last edited:
calm down with the image sizes

bigspender.jpg

what is this monkey paw shit, wotc finally gives me a treasure design I'd love to cube, and it's an alchemy card

I think they like the design without the spellbook ability. So just haste and create a Treasure when blocked.

Maybe I am stupid. And I could also choose to not ask the question but I am also curious.

The card does in fact have a spellbook. So if I would love to cube a card, I would do it. And I would do it by asking Smithy for help :p

Things I like about the card:
- Mana cost
- P/T
- Haste
- Triggered ability
- Sacrifices artifacts for a benefit

Things I very much do not like about the card:
- The spellbook and the implications it has on a physical draft

That makes sense.

So you are out of luck. The closest we have is Oxidda Daredevil lol :p

this card could pretty easily investigate instead of drafting cards and be more or less the same
Mmm, I love/hate the idea of chaining sacrifices together by making yet more artifacts. Maybe have it make shards to avoid that problem? The flavor would be weird, but at least these tokens wouldn't be a one-off anymore.

:snappy:

Arming Gala.jpg

What do you guys think of this for tokens?
Only the "creature you control" benefit tokens and the rest of the card benefits all your creatures everywhere. I don't think it will hurt token strategies that the card has 'splash damage' and benefit more than just tokens.

The card could easily be printed in a normal set. It would just need a bit different wording.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
View attachment 7025

Only the "creature you control" benefit tokens and the rest of the card benefits all your creatures everywhere. I don't think it will hurt token strategies that the card has 'splash damage' and benefit more than just tokens.

The card could easily be printed in a normal set. It would just need a bit different wording.
There's nothing that easily replicates this in normal Magic words because of the permanent buff to all creatures, regardless where they are (unless they're in exile or in the command zone), and the fact that the buff is inherent and not tracked through counters. Still, this comes close enough functionally if you want to try a custom version of this:

At the beginning of your end step, put an arms counter on Arming Gala, then put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Creatures you cast enter the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of arms counters on Arming Gala.

Isn't the easier way to just make it say:

At the beginning of your end step, put an arms counter on Arming Gala. Creatures you control, in your hand, in your library, and in your graveyard get +1/+1 for each arms counter on Arming Gala.

Or even:

At the beginning of your end step, put an arms counter on Arming Gala. Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each arms counter on Arming Gala.

I think I would just let it create an Emblem/a Conspiracy token that could have counters on it. Obviously Wizards doesn't want to do this but it would work. And if Conspiracies can't have counters, it could just have a number on it instead and let all creatures you control get +/+ after that number.

In this way it would function exactly as the digitally printed card from Alchemy.

Could also use experience counters. Wizards also wouldn't do this but it could be done.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Isn't the easier way to just make it say:
At the beginning of your end step, put an arms counter on Arming Gala. Creatures you control, in your hand, in your library, and in your graveyard get +1/+1 for each arms counter on Arming Gala.
Or even:
At the beginning of your end step, put an arms counter on Arming Gala. Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each arms counter on Arming Gala.
The reason I worded it the way I did is because Arming Gala specifically does not buff creature tokens until they hit the battlefield. Your wording would give token strategies running this version a massive boost.
I think I would just let it create an Emblem/a Conspiracy token that could have counters on it. Obviously Wizards doesn't want to do this but it would work. And if Conspiracies can't have counters, it could just have a number on it instead and let all creatures you control get +/+ after that number.

In this way it would function exactly as the digitally printed card from Alchemy.

Could also use experience counters. Wizards also wouldn't do this but it could be done.
The upside of an emblem is that the buff stays when the enchantment gets destroyed. The downsides are that I can't think of an elegant wording that wouldn't also buff token armies in an unintended way (basically the same problem MilesOfficial's suggestion runs into) and the fact that a second copy of Arming Gala (or a recast off of Eternal Witness) gives you a second emblem which doubles the buff. You also don't want to use experience counters, because there are other cards that generate those, which means this suddenly gets buffed by a number of cards in an unintended way.

The closest approximation I can think of using the emblem tech is this, using a little bit of free-form Magicese:

When Arming Gala enters the battlefield, if you don't already have one, you get an emblem with "Nontoken creatures you control get +1/+1 for each arms counter you have."
At the beginning of your end step, you get an arms counter, then put a +1/+1 counter on each token creature you control.

I can't think of an elegant wording that wouldn't also buff token armies in an unintended way
You just did :)

Your card is exactly like I thought of when I said it could be done with emblems/conspiracies.

The solution with experience counters also exist but it would require some sort of wording like "Remove all experience counters" and You can't gain experience counters from anything but Arming Gala" for it to work. Plus maybe some more. It's possible but we don't need to discuss how to word the card anymore.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way. Can we talk about the topic?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
View attachment 7025

So at least power level wise, I'm not sure this is all that great. Classic 5 mana enchantment that doesn't really impact the board. I don't think the fact hat the pump in your hand/library doesn't affect the tokens matters all that much, since there's not a ton of times where the P/T of things in your library matters.

If you want specifically this text, you could adapt prince keleseth (it'll take some heavy editing sure, but you get the idea) from hearthstone:
1654199173055.png

If you're specifically looking for a big token payoff:

Are all cards I've run before and been happy with

Wizards announced a new set for Magic Arena

Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate

Here is a link to the announcement:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...FLZgn3REiTuXinAnqyPPqtNKTO3gkUwXCGiG7oC01vXhQ

You will notice some of the cards reuse existing art for brand new cards.

Two new mechanics are introduced:

Double team - when a creature with this attacks, you may conjure a copy of it into your hand. Then both cards lose double team.

Specialize - a digital-only twist on transformation. Pay the cost, discard a card, transform the card into one of its other versions, dependent on what color or basic land type the discarded card was.

Some legendary characters can now multiclass (specialize)

Returning mechanics are, as always, conjure, perpetually, seek and spellbooks. Here are the links to the three spellbooks for the cards drafting from them.

The Hourglass Coven
https://mtgazone.com/spoilers/the-hourglass-coven/

Oyaminartok, Polar Werebear
https://mtgazone.com/spoilers/oyaminartok-polar-werebear/

Follow the Tracks
https://mtgazone.com/spoilers/follow-the-tracks/

Last edited: