General CBS

I was a part of the original Mirrodin fallout. I drafted Kamigawa a couple of times, but didn't sling another spell until Mirrodin Besieged oddly enough. So I completely missed Alara. Even still, Jund and Esper sticks in my mind a lot more easily than Mardu and Sultai
Weird. No logic behind that.

I've been fighting an internal battle between me wanting to make the deepest format possible vs my playgroup being half beginners/intermediates that can't handle that much text or super tricky interactions. They aren't going to remember that they have a dozen effects waiting in the graveyard and they aren't likely to re-read their Dread Wanderer that's already dead to find out. My players certainly aren't going to be able to keep track of their opponent's graveyards and point an accurate exiling spell at it.

I don't want to abandon The Black Cube, but it seems inherently complicated by using the graveyard as a second hand in a lot of decks. I have an idea for a fix, but it definitely feels like it's going to neuter things. Designing to the level my group is at rather than plunging a few into the deep end every time is proving problematic.

Even when I look at lower powered cards, a lot of those have a ton of text, too. It's a struggle.

I've been meaning to reply to this...I've been struggling with major life burn out, and I've had zero mental space lately for engaged cube talk. But I've dealt with similar issues with my cube, and I have a lot of thoughts. I think my network of players sounds more skilled than yours on average, but I get the same compulsion. I think as japahn mentioned, elegance is super important for approachability. Limiting keywords and the types of tokens generated helps. I think going deeper into fewer keywords increases repetition and fosters familiarity. Maybe a mechanic is new to someone, but after seeing it on 5 different cards they latch onto the idea more quickly. It's like the difference in having 2 threshold cards, 3 madness, 4 flashback, 2 delirium, 1 jump start, 3 eternalize, 2 unearth, 1 embalm, 2 undergrowth, 1 scavenge compared to 10 cycling, 6 madness, 6 flashback, etc.

vs

I think that within a simple framework you can still mine complexity. You can still have interesting mechanical intersections, challenging decision trees and board states. I think cycling is the single most important mechanic to exploit in a graveyard cube with these goals. It's elegant, it reduces non-games, it's modal, it triggers draw and discard, it fuels the graveyard.

You can also select cards that have unique game dynamics:

This is a poor example as it is neither a particularly elegant card nor a keyword minimalist card, but it's the first one that comes to mind as a relatively simple card that introduces a lot of in game complexity and tension.

or things like:

Super legible, super elegant, super interesting (imo)

I know I'm not breaking any new ground with these thoughts, but these are the first places my mind goes when trying to tackle this problem.

They really are quite excellent in STX limited.

Campuses vs. temples is an interesting design choice, but they actually complement each other pretty nicely. Temples help you avoid early screw, and campuses help avoid late-game flood.

They really are quite excellent in STX limited.

Campuses vs. temples is an interesting design choice, but they actually complement each other pretty nicely. Temples help you avoid early screw, and campuses help avoid late-game flood.

In my experience Temples also help avoid land flood. But probably not as much as Campuses though.

Speaking of lands, does anyone know if theres been any update from CubeCobra folks on improving how lands are picked? It's really frustrating seeing a RB drafting bot taking two entirely unrelated triomes as well as several other non-relevant lands...

Link me your cubes if you feel like you run a successful Gx +1/+1 counters deck so I can look at it. Not sure what kind of densities I'm looking for.