General CBS

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On the flip side, look at this monstrosity:

Cleaver Blow - {1}{B}
Instant
Multicleave {1} (You may an additional {1} any number of times as you cast this spell. For each time you do, choose a paired set of square brackets and remove the words in between.)
Destroy target [nonblack] creature [with mana value 3 or less] [an opponent controls]. You [and its controller each] draw a card [and lose 2 life]. Create a [tapped] 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.

My head hurts just trying to parse this.
Dear lord, and I already hate normal cleave… (Except on the [V]indicate meme)

Blurry Visionary - {3}{U}
When Blurry Visionary enters, look at the top two cards of your library, then put them back-to-back in the same sleeve with either card in front. They become a modal double-faced card for the rest of the game.
3/2

What a trippy idea. There are so many cheesy things that you can do with this guy.
Seems like your next cube idea.
Immersturm Battlefield - {1}{R}
Enchantment - Realm
Hosted creatures get +2/+0 and haste.
Host {1}{R} ({1}{R}: Host target creature at this Realm. A Realm can host any number of creatures. Host only as a sorcery.)

I'm legitimately surprised that "reverse equipment" isn't an actual mechanic. Heck, I'm kinda surprised that we didn't get something like this in MOM instead of Battles.
This feels a little difficult to track in paper. Multiple cards being on the same card. Not terrible, but that might be why we don't actually have this yet.
Cleaver Blow - {1}{B}
Instant
Multicleave {1} (You may an additional {1} any number of times as you cast this spell. For each time you do, choose a paired set of square brackets and remove the words in between.)
Destroy target [nonblack] creature [with mana value 3 or less] [an opponent controls]. You [and its controller each] draw a card [and lose 2 life]. Create a [tapped] 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.

My head hurts just trying to parse this.
r/custommagic has a new card like this upvoted to shit pracitcally weekly. God, that place is a hellhole with a few gems.

Werewhat has finally given me the rules language I need to complete my Transmogrify novelty cube.

(It's a cube where all the creatures are Humans, but they all have werewolf rules that transform them into random creatures from a separate, shared deck, which makes them behave like double-faced cards. It's sort of like Momir Basic but with a curated collection of Monsters for your guys to transform into, only I have been pulling my hair out trying to write an emblem that adequately explains all this... etc.)

Still working on it

Anyway, I can't seem to save the image off Reddit, so here's the text:

Werewhat
3G Creature - Werewolf
Daybound
As Werewhat enters the battlefield, you may exile a creature card from your graveyard or hand. If you do, that card becomes this creature's back face and that back face has nightbound. If you exiled a card from your hand this way, draw a card.

The essential piece of technology is the phrase "becomes this creature's back face." A delightful solution.

Last edited:
So, I was trawling through Scryfall, and I stumbled on this interesting fellow:

It's not a MAXIMUM POWER card by any stretch of the imagination, but the idea of turning equipment or pump spells into repeated removal tickles me. I especially like that it's set up to bully more defensive creatures.

Heads up

New Jumpstart set coming up. Will be released in November and themes are, to my understanding, focused on planeswalker heroes. We have a few spoilers already.

New Jumpstart set coming up. Will be released in November and themes are, to my understanding, focused on planeswalker heroes. We have a few spoilers already.
I'm into any source of reprints that has updated oracle text and is free of watermarks and other oddities.

Planeswalker themes kinda suck when the new cards are all called "Chandra's Spatula" and "Jace's Spoon" and such. Give me flavor that makes sense in my cube alongside my non-planeswalker cards.

Helpful-Hunter-400x559.webp

we got some other commons and uncommons too, there's "Zulaport Cutthroat BUT it hits only one target opponent and is a Warlock" (so it fits in with OTJ in two ways)

but who cares kitty aaaaa :3

A few random news

- The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth is the best selling Magic set ever.

- There will be two major Universes Beyond sets coming out in 2025 and two again in 2026.

- Wizards consider Orcish Bowmasters and The One Ring design mistakes because they are too powerful.

- Wizards are trying to make both people happy. What they mean here is that they are trying to make the people happy who like that Modern is a non-rotating format and that you can trust a card is a staple. But also the people who want new and exciting things and that formats change more than they did prior to Throne of Eldraine where they deliverately upped the power level.

Link:
https://mtgrocks.com/mtg-designer-r...WVOs8dX76s2Gw3fTiM_aem_KUZGe-PIZA_oPlKuJ51dPw

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Chime in: is mh3 all that problematic with like 1-3 bans?

Like sure Nadu is an outlier, bit I think the format might be pretty okay were it removed, the problem currently is they're staunchly refusing to do so until the specific ban window, right?

Wizards almost never ban cards from a set until the set is no longer selling packs. We’ll see the real amounts of bans in 6-12 months.

Their development process is just really screwed when it comes to these direct to "eternal" sets. Both of those definitely should have been realized right in the middle of development. I don't know what their testing pipeline is nowadays (it was pretty shit back when they'd give more insight into what they'd do for Standard a few years back), but it's clearly not working out very well with so many things seeping through and upending whole formats. Really doesn't inspire much confidence.

Totally agreed. But now they are kind of forced to keep going with them unless they specifically threaten the company’s existence because they are incredibly profitable. And why wouldn’t they be? They power push the formats so people either want the new and better cards or need them to keep up with opponents. Or both.

Didn’t know about this, looks cool! Can’t make it this year though :(

me neither. I'm going to do a six hour Wattwanderung that sunday morning :D
But I will definitely be there next year. Maybe I even have a shot at getting the CCC chosen for the event #lifegoals
And of course it would be awesome to meet you in person for a draft or seven <3