General CBS

whymtgcardsmith has outdone themself:

tumblr_nyz01xv5hJ1tm904wo1_400.png

solid 3 in Limited imo

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do you have a TLDR? I am at work and can't watch at the moment.
TLDR: It is impossible to get things right on your first try, so don't even try. Playtest your game right from the start, when it's no more than a shaky concept in your head. The sooner you learn what works and what doesn't, the cheaper it is to adjust your course, and the less attached you'll be to the parts that need changing. Accept that your first idea is shitty, but that you still need input to improve that idea. You can't do it on your own, theorycrafting your precious game into oblivion.

Try our ideas early. Get feedback. Adjust. Repeat. Fail faster.

Is there a way to edit your own thread's title? I'm planning on posting my list later today and can't seem to find how to do that in the edit post interface. I can just make a new thread, but I'd rather not clog the board up if I don't have to.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a way to edit your own thread's title? I'm planning on posting my list later today and can't seem to find how to do that in the edit post interface. I can just make a new thread, but I'd rather not clog the board up if I don't have to.

Pm me a new title and I can change it.

What is this thread good for? The OP says CBS so I hope I'm right, eheheh.

In my 360 I run 40 lands atm which I find to be too few. I don't run ABU duals and there's no Wasteland in my ULD but two of each TecEdge and Ghost Quarter.
Right now I'm running 20 fetches and 20 shocks which I find to be quite boring. I'm thinking of the following:
- I want 50 lands instead of 40
- 20 fetches, still
- 10 shocks
-now the interesting part: maybe a split of the M10 and Innistrad duals and the new BFZ and upcoming OGW duals? I like how they're fetchable which makes them not strictly worse than the M10/INN duals.
I'm not sure if filter lands could be a bit too good for manafixing?

Aoret

Developer
What is this thread good for? The OP says CBS so I hope I'm right, eheheh.

CBS just means "cube bullshit" so kind of whatever you'd like to post that pertains to cube in general. It's kind of a catch-all for anything that doesn't warrant writing an entire thread.

As for your question, without seeing your list, or getting a vague idea of your power level, it's difficult to advise you on what lands you should be running. I'd caution you that the mana in your format will impact things a lot. (See: Grillo's cube vs most Riptide cubes vs my cube)

Well, for starters, Fetch->Dual and Fetch->Shock are generally the strongest set of fixing you can run, so I think filter-lands would be perfectly fine. Specifically, the filter-lands shine when you have to curve A into BB in an aggro deck.
If you find your mana base to be boring, try introducing more lands that require interesting decision making or sequencing. Have you tried the Theros temples?

Some other interesting pieces of fixing (I especially like Horizon Canopy and wish it had a whole cycle)

I really like the designs of Grove of the Burnwillows, River of Tears, Scars lands, BFZ lands and even Nimbus Maze.
Horizon Canopy is something I'm not sold on, I find it quite strong, even with the lifeloss. Pain lands are good to use in casual play but I find them bad for cube as they hurt control a lot more than aggro.

I guess I'll try 20 fetch, 10 shock, 10 M10/INN, 10 BFZ/OGW. if the latter proves to be too weak (or to bad for aggro) I'll swap them with filter lands.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The reason we love fetch and dual/shock is mostly because of how many people want fetches overall:
Like if you're in gruul, you only really want taiga, or Gruul Turf, or Fire-Lit Thicket, but Arid Mesa, Wooded Foothills, Bloodstained Mire, Scalding Tarn, Verdant Catacombs, Windswept Heath, and Misty Rainforest all have a place in your deck once you have a single dual to fetch with it.

We've all (Assuming we've drafted a cube larger than 360, or with less than a full 8) had that draft where we were picking manafixing as high as possible, but no Green Red lands are in the draft. Unless you've got lands that say "When this enters the battlefield, choose two colors. T: add one of those colors" (Which I have considered), you're not eliminating this problem, but you can make it happen less.

The bounceland + ETB trigger is another nice (lower powered) solution, where Gruul Turf + Temple of Abandon ends up earning you a free preordain over the course of a game. It's a little more pauper themed than the other one we've experimented a lot with, and typically (unless you want to be REALLY mean to your drafters) means you shouldn't run wastelands (Opting instead for something like tectonic edge or ghost quarter)
Grillo is our expert on the latter

I run 20 shocks + 20 fetches + 10 trilands (Alara and Khans).
I love the trilands because they provide versatility (at the cost of being a wee bit underpowered, compared to other options). Each one serves three colour pairs, which means that:
- they are desirable for more players
- if you find yourself needing to change colours mid-draft, you will likely still make use of your triland
Maybe it's just me being overly fond of them, but I can't see why not many people pack them.