General CBS

Lion's Eye Diamond is a tough sell for a "normal" deck. Bazaar can be utilized semi-effectively by almost any GY deck. Not tapping for mana makes it pretty bad in this day and age though.

When I'm on phone, I can't click on the symbols for emojis/mana/bold/italic etc. they are just gray. Am I the only one having this issue?

I also have no clue where to posts questions like this @Jason Waddell

Anyone run this style of blink?

Seems to have some potential at lower power, especially the "up to" on Shimmerwing.

• Heart
Reactions: dbs
I briefly ran Primadox in a Peasant cube. It was fine at best, and got quickly replaced a few months later by Temur Sabretooth. Returning a creature in your upkeep is such a bummer. It really only lets you durdle since it removes a creature from being relevant in combat for that turn. Primadox's base stats have to be pretty strong in your environment to make it worthwhile imo.

I ran Vedalken Mastermind or Waterfront Bouncer at times in blue for blink. I never cared for Esperzoa. It requires such a high density of artifacts to be playable.

Not my cup of tea in even low powered contexts tbh.

I briefly ran Primadox in a Peasant cube. It was fine at best, and got quickly replaced a few months later by Temur Sabretooth. Returning a creature in your upkeep is such a bummer. It really only lets you durdle since it removes a creature from being relevant in combat for that turn. Primadox's base stats have to be pretty strong in your environment to make it worthwhile imo.

I ran Vedalken Mastermind or Waterfront Bouncer at times in blue for blink. I never cared for Esperzoa. It requires such a high density of artifacts to be playable.

Not my cup of tea in even low powered contexts tbh.
agree with this assessment. there’s plenty of ways to get extra ETBs in low power that are way better tempo wise than these.

Waterfront Bouncer is fantastic. It's the kind of card that is exploited on every angle: Bouncing your opponent creatures, your own and as a discard outlet. It's fun, too, so I recommend giving it a look.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Waterfront Bouncer is fantastic. It's the kind of card that is exploited on every angle: Bouncing your opponent creatures, your own and as a discard outlet. It's fun, too, so I recommend giving it a look.
I agree. I've been running it for a while now, and it's a great discard outlet.

Anyone running +1/+1 counters theme? I've always found it a little underwhelming. Preferably in Abzan, but I can make the translation if anyone's had good experiences.

It always feels too much like a tribal deck to me.

Last edited:
Anyone running +1/+1 counters theme? I've always found it a little underwhelming. Preferably in Abzan, but I can make the translation if anyone's had good experiences.

It always feels too much like a tribal deck to me.
That's basically where I am with counters. While there are a lot of interesting cards that have the word counter on them, they all just kind of feel a bit surfacy. Sure, there are plenty of good cards that just happen to use counters, which would indicate the mechanic is good for making into a low space impact archetype. But when you actually go and draft a deck that explicitly utilizes counters as a theme, it just ends up feeling like an incoherent mess of cards that all have the same word on them.

I'm not saying +1/+1 counters is a bad synergy to push or anything of the sort. However, I think cards like Abzan Falconer makes counters feel like tribal by rewarding you for going wide with a bunch of dudes with the word +1/+1 counter on them. I think the only way to avoid the tribal feel is to include more options like Basri's Lieutenant which heavily reward you for playing counters card but don't rely on other things with counters to act as value generators. Unfortunately, I don't think there are enough cards like Basri's Lieutenant that can support counters in a way that doesn't necessitate building highly linear "put counters on things" decks. Even if there were, I'm not 100% convinced that people wouldn't still try to build the deck that way.

Part of the problem is that putting +1/+1 counters on your stuff is almost always good. As a result, anything that rewards you for doing more of it comes off as win-more-y. Most of the time, something like Abzan Falconer isn't really adding a new dimension to the deck.

EDIT: An alternate way to look at it is that most explicit +1/+1 counter synergy cards reward you for doing the most obvious thing (AKA slapping +1/+1 counters on as many of your creatures as possible). Much like most tribal payoffs, they tend to be good in situations where your "tribe" was already good, and bad in situations where your "tribe" was already bad.

Like, I honestly feel like you need to focus on cards like the Lieutenant (and it's little buddy Swarm Shambler) if you're going to have a +1/+1 counters theme. And even then, that's more of a "signal that this strategy is viable" thing than a "create a whole new archetype" thing.

EDIT EDIT: In all honesty, I think my favorite +1/+1 counter synergy card is Generous Patron, mainly because it offers you a cool reward (you can potentially get some really cheap card draw) in exchange for figuring out a puzzle (how do you prevent villain from leveraging the creatures you've grown for them?)

Last edited: