General CBS

Checklands for sure.
I was looking at checks as one of my main contenders. Definitely a powerful land in a 2c deck and a frequent tapped land in a greedy deck.
Or the Battle for Zendikar Tango lands maybe
These are similar to checks, but less useful in the 2c decks. Also lacks the full 10 land cycle that I'm interested in for this idea (that I'll never build).
Those two, painlands, filter lands and snarls.
I was thinking pains might be THE most punishing because a 2c deck can avoid the pain payment a lot of the time and it's the worst land to have in multiples because KYS.

Snarls are like bad checks, so I had my eye on them, too.
Filter lands was amazing with the rest of their Standard mana base back in the 5-color era though. They go really well with Vivid lands and Reflecting Pool
Filters are very good in 2c, but I'm hesitant because they can give MM. That's part of why they were good in that particular mana base.

Alright, you guys mostly confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks. If anyone's curious, this idea is that DMU's mana has been entertaining to me and I'd like to complement the Domain with some non-typed duals which are better in less greedy decks.

@Brad
If your goal is to create the worst possible mana base for 5-color then you will regret it if you include Filter lands. They fix too many problems :p

Mind sharing what your vision is?

@Brad
If your goal is to create the worst possible mana base for 5-color then you will regret it if you include Filter lands. They fix too many problems :p
I wouldn't say "worst possible," but I'd like fewer colors to feel considerably more secure on their mana bases.
Mind sharing what your vision is?
DMU 2.0, basically. I really liked a lot of aspects of it and would love to expand on it.

How much of a monster would I be if I cubed this?

1ae87f9d-d6eb-4178-a99d-76a9dffacf28.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Best I can guess is this card is old enough to insist his or her, which I know people who take that personally. IDK if you'd be a monster though

I did learn that not all of these were printed with the same creature type?!?!
1ae87f9d-d6eb-4178-a99d-76a9dffacf28.jpg
cb6f1c4e-4fbc-4474-8dd2-5846d417b6ab.jpg

Both of these were printed in oddesy, apparently (link)

Cephalid Wizard is actually the wrong creature type.

Cephalid Looter is a sneaky Cephalid Rogue. Such a sneaky guy, pretending to be a Wizard to lull people into a sense of false security!

(I'm not actually planning on cubing Cephalid Looter. I just thought that this was a fun little thing.)

landofMordor

Administrator
If anyone's curious, this idea is that DMU's mana has been entertaining to me and I'd like to complement the Domain with some non-typed duals which are better in less greedy decks.
In my "ELD Remastered" cube, I am trying to encourage decks that are like 20 cards of color X and 4 of color Y, in addition to enabling the occasional [[Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker]] pile. So far I've relied on painlands (like you said, a little too intense for 3 color decks, but perfect for 1.5-color decks), Pathways, and checklands.

I think Pathways would be perfect for your vision (or if you prefer, 10x Prismatic Vista). Yeah, they're color fixing that can help out a multicolor deck, but they're not ideal for hitting all the pips of a greedier multicolor deck.

It might also help if your cards generally have "rough" mana costs.

A spell that costs 1UU pushes you way harder towards playing blue than one that costs 2U, especially if that 1UU spell is really strong.

I was trying to get a Riptide Lab deck export option on CubeCobra last year, seems it never got implemented. If any of you are on the Cobra discord, please chime in under Feature Requests as I've brought it up again after remembering that it never actually got done. I think it should be relatively easy for them to implement, but I think it's a matter of user input at this point.

I just dream of a day where I won't have to manually update an exported list. Help me make this a reality. Be the change you want to see.

Silly suggestion: let people trade in two sick basics of different colors to get a copy of a better-than-usual dual lands for those colors.

Like, maybe your normal RG dual land is a Sheltered Thicket, but you can trade in a cool Forest and a cool Mountain to get a Taiga.

Thought I'd shove this idea here, rather than letting it get buried in the BRO thread.

A slightly different take on this would be to, instead of trading in your sick basics, use them to "upgrade" the checkland/slowland mana base that the cube otherwise runs on. Show off a Mountain or Forest to upgrade a Rootbound Crag into a Taiga, or show off both of them to upgrade that Shattered Sanctum into a Scrubland.

Thought I'd shove this idea here, rather than letting it get buried in the BRO thread.

A slightly different take on this would be to, instead of trading in your sick basics, use them to "upgrade" the checkland/slowland mana base that the cube otherwise runs on. Show off a Mountain or Forest to upgrade a Rootbound Crag into a Taiga, or show off both of them to upgrade that Shattered Sanctum into a Scrubland.
Isn’t it better to have vouchers like:
Hand in 1 pick a land from this pile
Hand in 2 pick a land from that pile
Hand in 3 for a fetch of choice
Hand in 4 for cradle?
It prevents the wrong color picking problem and keeps the idea that one can choose between many “bad” fixing lands or a few good ones.

I like Rusje's idea a lot because I think vouchers with reminder text can convey the overall concept we want better than an abstract token like a land unless it's something very simple like "island + mountain = volcanic island."

I like Rusje's idea a lot because I think vouchers with reminder text can convey the overall concept we want better than an abstract token like a land unless it's something very simple like "island + mountain = volcanic island."
The problem with island+mountain is that if one does not play blue in the end that a pick is wasted. Still, much better than duals in draft but I think the voucher solves the this land is not always used problem.

I like the concept of Pathways, but hate the execution.

I was thinking art-singleton on Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse plus tapped DMU duals plus 1-2 cycles from pain/check/Snarls.

The problem with island+mountain is that if one does not play blue in the end that a pick is wasted. Still, much better than duals in draft but I think the voucher solves the this land is not always used problem.
This is part of the reason why I specified that the duals would be check/slow.

If you draft a Rootbound Crag, suddenly Forests and Mountains are higher picks. If you draft a Shattered Sanctum, any basic becomes a higher pick. If you didn't see any duals, you're generally just going to draft basics when your other choices aren't going to fit into your deck.

I also made showing off your cool basics a mandatory part of the process, because the whole point is to show everyone that you got that sweet Guru land or whatever.

@LadyMapi

A regular Basic land can upgrade a very bad dual land to a mediocre dual land.

A full art Basic land can double upgrade so you’ll get stuff like Shocks and Fetches.

A Guru/special Basic land gets you a triple upgrade regular ABUR duals.

do you guys seriously own so many Guru lands that this is a real issue? i wanted to buy 4 Gurus for my Stoneblade deck forever ago and balked at the cost; i'm sure they're no cheaper these days......

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm trying to collect every Mountain card and I make a decent living but I still can't imagine ever owning one.
You could start with an Arabian Nights Mountain to get accustomed to expensive basics! And then, after you finally bought that Guru Mountain, you can save up for the Summer Magic Mountains! They might or not might be individually cheaper, but there's certainly three of 'em!

From what I can find online it seems like the Guru Mountains are about 100 % more expensive than the Summer Magic Mountains.

I've always defended WotC, said stuff like "if you don't like it, don't buy it", just let it be. But charging 1000$ for 60 Proxies, which have a decent chance to just be Shivan Dragons and Counterspells and Grizzly Bears? That feels like a crime.