General CBS

Here's my Planeswalker Tier List:
IuwdGh3.png

I feel pretty confident about most of these ratings. I based my decisions on both card power and how much I like the character. Arguably, I could have put Ugin in S tier and Chandra in A. Some of the walkers in C tier could go up or down a tier as well- however not all of them would go up.

You can just judge my tier list, or make your own here:
https://tiermaker.com/create/post-mending-planeswalkers-43566

And you have limited yourself to 1 of each planeswalker type?

It's ranking per character.

For example- Elspeth is in A tier because she is one of the best characters and has some of the best cards. The Wanderer is in D tier for having an interesting premise but no good cards. Vivien is in F tier for being a pointless character with derivative cards.

It's ranking per character.

For example- Elspeth is in A tier because she is one of the best characters and has some of the best cards. The Wanderer is in D tier for having an interesting premise but no good cards. Vivien is in F tier for being a pointless character with derivative cards.

So... this isn't useful? I don't populate a cube based on "who is the best character", and the fact that Elspeth is a tier A in your list doesn't mean she doesn't fit my power band, since you rated the average (highest?) power level of a card rather than each individual one?

So... this isn't useful? I don't populate a cube based on "who is the best character", and the fact that Elspeth is a tier A in your list doesn't mean she doesn't fit my power band, since you rated the average (highest?) power level of a card rather than each individual one?

Well it's a character tier list, not simply a card tier list. It's not so much a tool as a list of "how much I like each Planeswalker."

Like Chris said:
All tier lists are inherently shitposting :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey, good initiative! Over half of the price is going to charity as well. I can appreciate this move.

Also, glad I don't need these for my cube.

Think I'm actually going to cut St Traft for Rarity. I think the "tempo" deck would love it. Its actually kind of perfect. Strong but easily answerable.

0 would have been given to charity without this move from Wizards so hats off to them! <3

WOTC's already partnering with this charity group with multiple things for arena. In addition, DnD, the Mindcrack community, and many, many others are donating to this group. One could also just, you know, donate directly instead of giving 40% of their money to a multimillion dollar corporation...

WOTC's already partnering with this charity group with multiple things for arena. In addition, DnD, the Mindcrack community, and many, many others are donating to this group. One could also just, you know, donate directly instead of giving 40% of their money to a multimillion dollar corporation...

Exactly. And people don’t. But now people do thanks to Wizards <3

Also the money coming in through this channel supports future sets such as the 2021 sets they have just started planning.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Also the money coming in through this channel supports future sets such as the 2021 sets they have just started planning.
This. One could, but one doesn't. And now, thanks to this move, one does!

Yes because a multimillion dollar company really needs more profit. It's not like sales from standard legal sets go directly to funding the next standard legal sets or anything silly like that!

This. One could, but one doesn't. And now, thanks to this move, one does!

I should just make this clear, I don't have an issue with WOTC doing stuff for charity, or even WOTC profiting on something for charity. The Mageic Arena charity tie-in part of this whole campaign is really nice.

I just have a huge issue with My Little Pony magic cards. We can't have Squirrels but somehow Twilight Sparkle is ok?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I just have a huge issue with My Little Pony magic cards. We can't have Squirrels but somehow Twilight Sparkle is ok?

I mean they are silver bordered. Even squirrels are okay there.

I wouldn't put any weight on this pushing the needle of what is acceptable in magic and what isn't

We had squirrel tribal in unstable. We even got Squirrellink. Also, given the right opportunity I dont think anytying is off the table. Theres probably even weirder magic stuff down the road.

I mean they are silver bordered. Even squirrels are okay there.

I wouldn't put any weight on this pushing the needle of what is acceptable in magic and what isn't

We had squirrel tribal in unstable. We even got Squirrellink. Also, given the right opportunity I dont think anytying is off the table. Theres probably even weirder magic stuff down the road.

Yes but I want real squirrels, not silver bordered stuff that you can't even use online or in arena.

I get that these are silver bordered, but they're also an entire product not related to some weird hasbro convention- this is just Magic. Magic for a charity, granted, but still Magic.

Wotc's been trying to change Magic's public perception from being that weird card game that people keep confusing with Pokémon and D&D to the full-fledged cultural juggernaut that it really deserves to be. They sacrificed a lot of the humor and whimsy that made old school magic so fun to try and give the game a more serious image. Even the silver-bordered set released in this era was treated seriously, despite the fact that it was partially a joke. Unstable was basically just a set playing with design space black-border magic couldn't use with an element of humor. The plan was starting to work- there are more magic players now than ever before.

And then we get this pony product. They're associating Magic with My Little Pony, in many ways undercutting and undermining the recent serious swing. They might be silver bordered- but they're still extremely visible in a way any one card from a full set rarely is.

It's really frustrating hearing that parts of Magic that you really enjoy aren't ok for the game because they're either not serious enough or too complex, only to be slapped in the face with cards that have the words "Everypony" and "Coat, Mane, and Outfit" on them.

Imagine for a second if they had used this product slot to- say- reprint 3 Planeswalkers with new art. They would have given more to Charity and made a product that makes Magic look good. Instead, we get cards featuring characters from a line of toys for toddlers.

It's already hard enough trying to be included with non-gamers openly playing Magic these days. Did they really have to make us look like Bronies too?