Article ChannelFireball: Utility Land Draft

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean the extra card it gets for control decks can be worth the downside, but your cube is probably too slow.

Maybe erics? He's got tectonic edge right?

encroachingwastes.jpg

Man does this look cool but play bad :(

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
When we land drafted in our 8 man draft, basically we did are first 2 picks normally, then people just started grabbing stuff and if two people wanted to grab the same thing we used pick order to tie break (sort of like waiver priority). It wasn't elegant or applicable to online drafting, but everyone was happy and it helped things move faster.

CML

Contributor
Good news, crackers: I've saved the utility land draft by having people just grab shit. If there are differences they can fisticuffs, similar to chessboxing. The entire process was grokked instantly by a new arrival, a gentleman who owns a weed clinic, when it might have been confusing to do a snake draft. It also took 30 seconds. The only bad news is I have no idea how to punch people over the Internet on Sunday

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Good news, crackers: I've saved the utility land draft by having people just grab shit. If there are differences they can fisticuffs, similar to chessboxing. The entire process was grokked instantly by a new arrival, a gentleman who owns a weed clinic, when it might have been confusing to do a snake draft. It also took 30 seconds. The only bad news is I have no idea how to punch people over the Internet on Sunday

become facebook friends and poke eachother

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Possibly altogether too complicated utility land draft idea, inspired by Jason's tier list, that I thought of while washing dishes (Jason insists on knowing when and where I come up with all my ideas):

Separate all the utility lands into two tiers. When it's someone's turn to pick, they can either take one land from Tier One, or two lands from Tier Two. Only two rounds of utility picks, snake draft.

This would let me introduce a cycle of much-needed control-friendly fixing - say, either the M10 buddy lands, or the recent Temples - while ensuring that people don't just grab three or four dual lands and call it a night. On the other hand, if you somehow missed all the shocks for your two-colour deck, you could still pick up two fixers and forego the utility lands. This would also handle the three-lands-as-a-package scenario, without needing to remember to skip someone's next pick. On top of all that, it would hopefully save some time!

Examples of lands that would be in Tier One:

Lands from Tier Two (aka the B-Team):

Lands that would stay in the main cube:

CML

Contributor
i am reasonably sure the tier system is convoluted enough y'all should just grab your 4 favorites (WITH TAKEBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!) in paper situaishes

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
i am reasonably sure the tier system is convoluted enough y'all should just grab your 4 favorites (WITH TAKEBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!) in paper situaishes

The irony is that, "take your 4 favorites" would be impossible to coordinate properly online, but in paper I don't even need it because my players are fast already.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The irony is that, "take your 4 favorites" would be impossible to coordinate properly online, but in paper I don't even need it because my players are fast already.

Also wait, how is this hard to coordinate? They just take things. There's no input needed :p
Unless I'm reading CML wrong, people's drafted lands don't affect each other