General [CMR] Commander Legends Previews

I'm amazed we don't have a thread for this yet. We usually get a goodie or two in Commander sets, and this one is designed to be drafted. There's some cool stuff in here already:

keeperoftheaccord.jpg

Here's a very white card advantage engine.

alenakessigtrapper.jpg

I bet there's something broken you can do with this.

halanakessigranger.jpg

This is just cool. Green's creatures have been so Mulldriftery for the longest time that it's nice we're seeing some sweet Baneslayers recently.

I think this set could be a wellspring of cool new cards for Cube, but I'm currently most excited about the prerelease promo:
TvHc2PIDYi.png

I'm going to have to go out of my way to find a prerelease for this set specifically to get the version of this with the awesome old-school Pete Venters art.

I dislike the trend of having unique or old school-ish art being just used for promos or special version. Give us some more freshness on regular cards. They feel sterile and uniformed.

We Have Leeks!
leeks.jpg
Neat!

We also have some cards leaks!
Source
Pictures

I want to go over some of the good ones!

Elvish Dread Prince 3BB
Creature — Zombie Elf (R)
Deathtouch
When ~ dies, non-Elf creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn.
Encore—5BB, Exile ~ from your graveyard: Non-Elf creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/3
Encore is a new mechanic which lets you recycle abilities from your graveyard. This seems good for cubes with a graveyard element. This particular guy seems all around a bit expensive, but I can see this mechanic being pretty good.

Court of Plenty 2GG
Enchantment (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you are the monarch, you may instead put a creature or land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
Monarch is back! While I think this card is a bit too swingy to be amazing in most formats, I'm excited to think that we may get palace jailor 2.0 at some point. Since Monarch was originally designed as a 1v1 mechanic for Ixalan before being moved to Conspiracy 2, I think we might get some good inclusions for cube that don't feel busted.

Meteor Mace 4RR
Artifact — Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has trample.
Equip 1
Cascade
I love this card but 6 mana is too much I think. Why couldn't this cost 4?

Ich-Tehik, Scrap Splicer 4G
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token.
Whenever an artifact is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and on each Golem you control.
Partner
1/1
I love that we're getting a new splicer, I'm afraid this card is a bit too slow to do anything relevant. However, he does represent an addition to the continual increase in pieces for the splicer deck. Perhaps we'll get another splicer or 3 in this set?

Reyav, Master Blacksmith* RW
Legendary Creature — Dwarf Artificer (U)
Whenever a creature you control attacks, if it's enchanted or equipped, it gains double strike until end of turn.
2/2
Ok, I think R/W equipment is definitely an archetype now between this card and the new additions from Zendikar Rising. Now I just need to get around to making that Balduvian Trading Post...

Elvish Blackseer 1B
Creature — Elf Shaman (C)
When ~ dies, each opponent discards a card.
1/1
Was anyone in the market for this type of effect? I think it seems fine.

Maelstrom Colossus 8
Artifact Creature — Golem (C)
Cascade
7/7

Neat. Is this a card anyone wants to play?

Some notable reprints include:
Three Visits with new Eldraine themed art.
Tymna the Weaver (a 50 dollar card!).
Palace Sentinels.
Boros Charm with stretched art.
Staff of Domination (another expensive card!).[/quote]

Tormod the Graverobber 3B
Legendary Creature — Zombie Wizard (R)
Whenever one or more cards leave your graveyard, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Partner
4/2

This seems promising!

Tormod the Graverobber 3B
Legendary Creature — Zombie Wizard (R)
Whenever one or more cards leave your graveyard, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Partner
4/2

This seems promising!
I'm not a big fan of this guy. While he definitely has explosive potential, there are a few problems I see with him that I think will make him not very good in most environments. First, a bunch of cards leaving the yard at once still only make a single zombie (provided the translation on this is correct). Second, he has a very low toughness, so he dies to shock effects and won't be an effective blocker. The ceiling of Tormod is insane, but only if a rube-goldberg machine of pieces can be assembled around him. Yeah, Psychatog and Retrace cards are neat, but I'd need to see more good enablers before I'd be willing to go all in on this.

For what it's worth, I don't have an issue with this card because it has a low floor and a high ceiling. I'm usually fine with that, but in those cases I'd want the card to be cheap to play or hard to interact with. A 4/2 creature for 4 is too flimsy and expensive to be worth trying to leverage for most decks I think. Having said that, I think it is possible to find a home for this guy, I just am skeptical as to wether or not he leads to good play patterns.

You only need one zombie before he becomes rather good. Imagine if he ETB'd a zombie.

I think he's fun and encourages a few different decks, at least in The Black Cube. He can go in Bru flashback, Bx recursive aggro, BGx value yard. Anyone whose black section is heavily interacting with the yard will probably enjoy this guy unless you're so high powered that a 4/2 for 4 is a joke.

So far I like:

Keeper of the Accord

The mini game of monarch mechanic which will be awesome like it was during Conspiracy: The Reign of Brago.. sorry.. like it was during Conspiracy: The Empty Crown.. sorry.. like it was during Conspiracy: Take the Crown which had 220.. sorry.. 221 cards in it. So far there is only the four mana green enchantment that’s cool in my opinion.

The random powerful/powerless cascade mechanic. So far there aren’t really any super interesting ones.

Anyone else have some cards they are looking at besides the build-around-me black graveyard lord Mr. Tormod’s Crypt himself?

The mini game of monarch mechanic which will be awesome like it was during Conspiracy: The Reign of Brago.. sorry.. like it was during Conspiracy: The Empty Crown.. sorry.. like it was during Conspiracy: Take the Crown which had 220.. sorry.. 221 cards in it.
That's a deep cut...

That would be the first Secret Lair product I would want!

It would also be the first Secret Lair with proper fantasy vibes :p

Expectations for the last season were enormeous for the show that kept gaining more viewers and won more awards. When comparing the last season to many other TV shows, it was still amazing :)

With The Walking Dead Wizards used characters from the first half of the series.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, but sadly the series downfall already started in season 5, when they first tried to tell stories further than the books did so far. Season 7 was bad and 8 was just a total trainwreck, like half of the fanbase could've written it better.

The leak sheet has been updated with more cards! Encore was apparently mis-translated in the original leak, it actually reads:
COST, Exile this card from your graveyard: For each of your opponents, create a token copy that attacks that opponent this turn if able. The tokens gain haste. Sacrifice them at the beginning of the next step. Encore only as a sorcery.
So, that's actually better than the original translation, which only repeated the card's effect and didn't bring it back from the grave. I don't think this changes the calculus on the playability of the Encore cards we've already seen, but, they make multiplayer cube a little bit more interesting (looking at you, Nanonox!)

Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator 2U
Legendary Creature — Siren Pirate (U)
Flying
Whenever one or more Pirates you control deal combat damage to your opponents, create a Treasure token for each opponent dealt damage this way.
Partner
2/2

Captain Vargus Wrath UR
Legendary Creature — Orc Pirate (U)
Whenever ~ attacks, for each time you’ve cast it from the command zone this game, Pirates you control get +1/+1 until end of turn
1/1
It looks like Pirate Tribal is one of the draft archetypes in this set. I don't like how captain Wrath cares about the number of times they've been cast from the command zone this game, since then he's unplayable unless he is the commander. Hopefully this is a mistranslation and the real card cares about the number of times you've cast any commander instead.

Blim, ___ 2BR
Legendary Creature — Devil (R)
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player gains control of a permanent you control of your choice. Then each player loses life and discards cards equal to the number of permanents they control but don't own.
4/3
Rakdos hostile group hug? Is this even good? How many treasures do I need to be making before this thing becomes god tier?

Guildless Property
Land (U)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner’s hand.
T: Add CC.
New Bounceland in 2020??!!??

They'd just sac the treasures ;), but I'm pretty sure BR has a decent number of cards that create things for opponents. Not going to scryfall it right now, but it's interesting.

I like the bounce. I just reworked my cube to have Eldrazi themes in it and there's only 4 black bounces, so getting a fifth (singleton) bounce and more C sources could be what I'm after.

They'd just sac the treasures ;), but I'm pretty sure BR has a decent number of cards that create things for opponents. Not going to scryfall it right now, but it's interesting.
They can't actually sac the treasures you give them with the trigger since the ability all happens as one unit. They never have a chance to respond between when they get a hold of the treasure and when they lose the life and discard the card(s). They can sacrifice any treasures you give them in response to subsequent attacks, but not the attack in which they receive the treasure in the first place.

They can't actually sac the treasures you give them with the trigger since the ability all happens as one unit. They never have a chance to respond between when they get a hold of the treasure and when they lose the life and discard the card(s). They can sacrifice any treasures you give them in response to subsequent attacks, but not the attack in which they receive the treasure in the first place.
True. I assumed you were trying to build them up, but giving them The Coin instead of a card is pretty decent.