General [CMR] Commander Legends Previews

phyrexiantriniform.jpg

Lol what the heck is this...

krarkthethumbless.jpg

I like this card, it seems cool, but I've seen some people say it's bad because it does sometimes bounce your spell back to hand.

I like how this plays in prowess type decks where you don't really care wether or not your spell resolves so much as wether or not you cast it. Being able to get double milage out of bolts also seems good for burn players in top-deck mode.

Wether or not that's a good is not something I'm sure of yet.

If you have the mana and you have spells that don’t require a specific situation (like a counterspell for instance) you get double up on all your spells.

Those are some heavy requirements but it is insane value. The double up or nothing is misleading a liiiitle bit because the spell doesn’t fizzle if you fail the check. It only bounces to hand which is status quo but will cost additional mana. But if you win the check you actually get 2x value.

Loving that huge Golem. We need more MASSIVE artifact creatures. Eldrazi currently own most of the colorless fatty real estate.

Krark's expectedly flippy and fun.

Phyrexian Triniform is a snap include for me. Krark is kind good with storm...low cmc spells in general. It could be a solid to busted card that is very entertaining.

radiantserraarchangel.jpg
sianieyeofthestormp.jpg

The fact that they're dedicating actual space in this set to Flying Tribal is really saddening to me. Could they really not come up with a more interesting U/W limited archetype than fliers One Time???

The fact that they're dedicating actual space in this set to Flying Tribal is really saddening to me. Could they really not come up with a more interesting U/W limited archetype than fliers One Time???

Is One Time a cube title? ;)

I really like flying.dec. I always think it's cute for some reason.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
oppositionagent.jpg

This one is really cool. Notion Thief but for tutors. I like it. Not really anything for cube, but a nice addition to magic in general.

keskitthefleshsculptor.jpg

This one is interesting as you are trading three cards for two cards. Probably not good enough, but enough people around here like aristocrats enough that I could see someone giving it a try.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This one is interesting as you are trading three cards for two cards. Probably not good enough, but enough people around here like aristocrats enough that I could see someone giving it a try.

Not only are you trading three cards for two cards, you are trading board position for hand size. That's a very debatable trade to say the least. On the plus side, you can activate this at instant speed, so you can sacrifice stuff in response to a board wipe, and that honestly isn't too shabby in commander.

Opposition Agent on the other hand... Now there's a sweet, sweet value card to screw over all black and green mages in Commander land :D

Demonic Knowledge 2B
Enchantment
When etb draw 3 cards.
At the beginning of your endstep, lose 2 life for each card in your hand.

No one interested in demonic pacts little brother here?

emberwildecaptain.jpg

Emberwilde Captain
3R
Creature - Djinn Pirate
Whenever Emberwilde Captain enters the battlefield, you become the Monarch.
Whenever you are attacked, if you are the Monarch, Emberwilde Captain deals damage to the attacking opponent equal to the number of cards in their hand.
4/2

This is neat! Is a cantrip creature something Red wants?

That is exactly what red wants. Poor stats but two very strong abilities. It might be over the top for most cubes.

Monarch mechanic ends game so, so fast and it favors aggro players (duh) and red is usually an aggro color (duh).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This seems insane against control and horrible against aggro, and the body/ability only emphasize that swingyness
I'd rather they did the opposite

Court-of-Cunning-CMR-265.jpg

I'm going to be honest, I think this card is Jace, Memory Adept level of unfun. It either does nothing (well, okay, cycles and then you trade off the monarch forever) or you become the monarch and win in three turns flat.
No this card is very fun. It helps end stalling games and adds the monarch to the table. Also, unlike Jace, Memory Adept, you only have to hit the player controlling this once with any creature to stop them from having access to the big mill. Savannah Lions can't shut off Jace's mill, it can shut off this.

I'm with Seeker, not a fan of this for cube. I just don't think Monarch is a particularly good mechanic for 1v1 Magic. I love it in multiplayer EDH where it can break a board stall and encourage interaction in an already durdle-y format, but that isn't really the case in cube all that often. From my experience, it's one of the most snowball-y mechanics we've ever had in a 1v1 environment. If you become the monarch with a board state set up where you're already ahead, or even just at parity, often times that card advantage just lets you run away with the game.

In theory the back-and-forth of combat should solve the snowball issue, and it does work out like that when multiple other players can punish the monarch via combat, but I've never seen it actually play out that way in a traditional cube.

Last I checked you can attack planeswalkers... but I get the point.
Yeah, it's a good point - you only have to hit once for the monarch but you actually have to kill Jace to stop the ten-a-turn. That said, it's a lot of power allocated in places that are probably fun for casual but 100% not what I'm here for for cube. Which is a shame, because I would like to at least try Monarch things in a higher-powered cube (especially one that's lower on tools to stall so it's harder to just keep it forever)...