General Color matters / devotion

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
a lack of level 0 considerations is one of poker's finest attributes and a glut of them is a serious design flaw in magic. it's what keeps the game too often superficial and uninteresting and obsesses the culture with dull memorization and acquisition. of course it's also what makes wizards money.

Its a tragic truth that good (board) game design generally doesn't make any money.

Also, monopoly isn't as bad as most people play it, because most people ignore the auction rule that makes the game actually function as a game rather than being candyland with money.

I have never played candyland, because that shit doesn't fly in the UK because it's too bad.

CML

Contributor
don't you just always buy whatever you land on?

my strategy was, as of 15 years ago, unbeatable. i picked the scotty dog and bitched until i got to go first

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
True story, I was once married to somebody who loved monopoly. But every time we played it, the game was terrible. Somehow she still had positive feelings about it.

She tasked me with "modding" the game to make it more of a game, and I did some stuff, but there were always protests because it wasn't Monopoly as she envisioned it.

I might as well have married a power cuber.

don't you just always buy whatever you land on?

So when you land on a square you get the opportunity to buy it. If you can't or if you decline, the property is immediately auctioned by the bank to the highest bidder. This might mean it sells for more or less than its listed price.

And don't put money on free parking you dumb motherfucker. That's the easiest way to drag the game out to shit due to random chance and randomly determine a winner 4 hours in, rather than it being over in half that time.

CML

Contributor
True story, I was once married to somebody who loved monopoly. But every time we played it, the game was terrible. Somehow she still had positive feelings about it.

She tasked me with "modding" the game to make it more of a game, and I did some stuff, but there were always protests because it wasn't Monopoly as she envisioned it.

I might as well have married a power cuber.

haha read this too guys. it has monopoly in the name

http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm