Sets Conspiracy 2 Spoilers Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
New stuff up:
sovereignsrealm.jpg

Is this hearthstone magic?

Kinda worse Worldknit but it's excellent with Fastbond! Will go to my cube.

I actually think it's substantially stronger than worldknit. You can construct a real deck with this, and with 'explore' effects can turn it into a substantial amount of card advantage. Not only that, but it perma-smooths out your mana development.

Yes, it has the downside of exiling a card, but if your problem is that every single card in your hand is too powerful... well, with 'perfect' mana development, that's a problem every drafter ever would like to have :p

The losing 2 cards at the start is a much bigger blow, but that can be easily overcome with explore effects. There are even decks that don't mind the loss much. This card makes the balance deck ridiculous.

You essentially hit card parity with Sovereign's Reign once you've essentially skipped the two lands you would've drawn in a normal deck after having enough in play. Mulling to five cards but having perfect mana and always drawing gas in the mid-to-late game seems like a reasonable trade-off.

Conspiracy 2 is looking SWEET. I'm kind of in love with this card, too:

arcanesavant.jpg

Could this be Lab Maniac win enabler with Enter the Infinite Shenanigans?

Edit: Ohmygod it's an enter the battlefield effect. LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAAAAAIN

Edit: Seriously, I'm going nuts here. i'm a Johnny to the core, and this may be my favorite cube card spoiled in, like... ever.

Is anyone else interested in this? Because it seems super cool to me. It introduces a new minigame out of a 3c card, and in the wedge best positioned to capitalize on it. A 3/3 with deathtouch and haste that draws you at least one card is pretty juicy stuff, and I like how she has a useful "on" and "off" mode. It will likely be correct to allow a swingthrough at times just to churn out a token army and/or hope to force Villain to deck. She's obviously hell to play on a losing board, but exciting enough to play on a parity/winning board to be worth a shot, while not being entirely unbeatable even if she is drawing you a card a turn. I tend to shy away from "this is typically bad on a losing board and potentially win-more otherwise" cards, but the reward on this card is so reasonably fair given the hoops you have to jump through, and she comes with a built-in way to recover a losing board state over time, so I'm inclined to at least give her a try. My fixing is really great these days so 3c decks (or 2c with a splash more generally) decks are cropping up a lot, so I'm happy to throw this in the mix for a test run. Might be time to grab up Siege Rhino too and enjoy this 3c hellscape of my own design, right?

Also,

This seems pretty swell. It's reasonable enough as a mid-late pickup in any deck with {G} in it for some juice for your duplicates or off of one of your more defensible picks, while not really costing you a card in your deck. {G}-based decks are also the most likely to sit around at various points of the game with a spare mana to pitch into this, which is handy.

The previously mentioned Summoner's Bond looks juicy, although I wonder if that's maybe too strong and not exciting enough. I certainly would not run it in any cube with Kiki-combo, that's for sure.

Paliano Vanguard is suspiciously well-costed as an anthem, although being a 2/2 means it might often end up merely being a discounted, easier-to-remove, and more narrow Glorious Anthem.

Inquisition of Kozilek reprint has already helped scare the price down a bit, so I can finally justify picking one or two up. Hooray!

All in all, fair spoilers so far.

Marchesa seems like a really sweet Mardu Control win con piece. The turn after a boardwipe she sets you up a CA engine and can defend the throne to boot. Alternatively, like RBM says, if you are a little ahead with a beatdown deck she is a nice beater that gives you some reach into the later game. Very tempted...

arcanesavant.jpg

Edit: Ohmygod it's an enter the battlefield effect. LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAAAAAIN

Edit: Seriously, I'm going nuts here. i'm a Johnny to the core, and this may be my favorite cube card spoiled in, like... ever.

CRUEL ULTIMATUM! CRUEL ULTIMATUM! CRUEL ULTIMATUM!

arcanesavant.jpg

Cruel Ultimatum deck (not actually running said card)?

EDIT: Tzenmoroth beat me to it. :)

I don't think I like Archdmeon. Its a very solid 12th pick, horrible 13-15th pick. Maybe a fine 8th-11th pick but it gets iffy fast. Its a cute card but not sure it justifies a slot.

I'm not running Ghostly Flicker, so Arcane Savant will create plenty of sweet 2-card infinite loops, like with any blink engine with Temporal Mastery, any sac outlet with Living Death or Exhume, or Incoming! into any number of combos. Exiling Upheaval doesn't go infinite, but it's pretty close to game-ending.

I'll be running it with an extra turn effect to test out how giving my blink deck some sharper teeth feels. If nothing else, my cube is very instant/sorcery heavy, and casting cruel ultimatum or reanimation spell off of this will feel nice.

Not really Marchesa herself but I'm pretty interested in the Monarch mechanic. Maybe they'll print some non-embarrassing cards with "you become the monarch" text that signals the start of the minigame.

I'm super-low on "announce / keep track of some stuff while you draft" cards but the vanguard is so good... Archdemon has a cute "downside" but the upside just being a 5/4 flier for 4 is super boring. Arcane Savant is fixed Aether Searcher, which is super awesome, but it seems way draft-cheese to steal off-color spells other drafters had relative confidence they'd get back. I'm meh on the rest of these cards.