Sets Conspiracy 2 Spoilers Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not really Marchesa herself but I'm pretty interested in the Monarch mechanic. Maybe they'll print some non-embarrassing cards with "you become the monarch" text that signals the start of the minigame.

My thoughts exactly! Looks like an awesome mini-game, and it certainly keeps the pace flowing :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh, this is interesting!

NGBZwj9.png

Replaces itself immediately, and is a thorn (ha!) in your opponent's side. Deathtouch is excellent on a blocker.

Yeah it's pushed for a common as it's easily splashable and should almost always be a 2-for-1.

That said, I don't really care for explicitly multiplayer mechanics in a 1v1 cube.

Arcane Savant is perfectly good enough on its own, but if you want to go deep on it, it does hilarious things with:

And probably many more things I missed.

I actually think it's substantially stronger than worldknit. You can construct a real deck with this.

You can't play basic lands, your minimum deck size is 40, and this is one of the 5 cards you can leave out. I think constructing a real deck with this might be harder than you think.

It's pretty funny that if you draft 5 other Conspiracies you literally can't play this as your deck count will be too low.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah it's pushed for a common as it's easily splashable and should almost always be a 2-for-1.

That said, I don't really care for explicitly multiplayer mechanics in a 1v1 cube.

The Monarch mechanic isn't an explicitly multiplayer mechanic though. It's a painless Phyrexian Arena that switches sides.

You can't play basic lands, your minimum deck size is 40, and this is one of the 5 cards you can leave out. I think constructing a real deck with this might be harder than you think.

It's pretty funny that if you draft 5 other Conspiracies you literally can't play this as your deck count will be too low.
Your worst spells are your basics. This is still a 23 Nonland deck, just all 17 basics tap for any color, and can suddenly become extra spells when you've got enough lands. Card is bonkers.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
^--- that's a really good way of thinking about it. Better yet, all your 'basics' are actually split cards with possible niche value - your Naturalizes are also Utopias!

Yeah that's true, I hadn't thought of it like that. It'll be an interesting one to mess around with for sure.

Your worst spells are your basics. This is still a 23 Nonland deck, just all 17 basics tap for any color, and can suddenly become extra spells when you've got enough lands. Card is bonkers.

Hey, you know how 'spell lands' are really great because they technically don't take up a card slot in your deck?

This is kind of like having 23 of those.

It's also kind of like always having exactly the right lands and the right balance of spells and lands... after you mull to 5. I'm going to try it out for certain, but it's not always going to be worth the cost.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think I might just toss the magic rule set out the window sometimes and make that conspiracy how the game is played.

This is a really interesting chance to finally play the game without the possibility of color/mana screw.

I think I might just toss the magic rule set out the window sometimes and make that conspiracy how the game is played.

This is a really interesting chance to finally play the game without the possibility of color/mana screw.
I've played a cube that did this. It made the game way less fun, actually. Since you never had to worry about colors, you just took the best card out of every pack, completely killing any interesting decisions in drafting and the ability to signal. The decks all kind of looked the same. The system in Hearthstone works the way it does because the classes are so segregated from each other. A Warrior is never going to be running Rogue cards (outside of weird corner cases like with Spellslinger), so the decks all look really different. The card might be a fun 1-of in a draft to make one crazy deck that doesn't follow the normal rules, but playing the entire cube like that just sucks.

capitalpunishment.jpg

This card is super cool. I don't know how good it is in a 2 player game, but I do know Council's Dilemma is way less awkward in a 2 player game than Will of the Council.

I think council's dilemma is just fixed will of the council. Even in multiplayer games the caster's desired effect was unlikely unless the majority were playing 'from behind' or what-have-you.

Capital Punishment seems somewhat like Remorseless Punishment? Dilemma cards are SO much better with the 'extra votes' cards than Will cards were, but I doubt any of those will be normally-playable.

For some reason I got really sad when I saw they wasted the card name 'Besmirch' on an act of treason. When such a good name goes to such a meh card I go to frown town a bit. I am glad they worded the Goad mechanic so the 'lash' still applies even if you're the only available player. Right?

The Monarch mechanic isn't an explicitly multiplayer mechanic though. It's a painless Phyrexian Arena that switches sides.

A mechanic can functionally work in two players games and still be specifically made for multiplayer. As described in the preview articles, the intention behind monarch is to put a spotlight on a single player in a group game to encourage attacking, and even attack a variety of players over time, instead of having everyone turtle up or focus fire on a single player. There's not the same tension in a 1-on-1 game.

There's also a spectrum in terms of how multiplayer focused a mechanic or card is. I'd argue that the monarch mechanic is one of the closest to being two-player friendly, but will likely play out weirdly to where I probably won't include it in my cube. Obviously actual play experience could change my opinion.

The Monarch mechanic would be weird in my cube. There are a bunch of decks that don't really attack until they hit 'critical mass' and win, so a the decks using the monarch mechanic would actually be really empowered.

...hmm....

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
For some reason I got really sad when I saw they wasted the card name 'Besmirch' on an act of treason. When such a good name goes to such a meh card I go to frown town a bit. I am glad they worded the Goad mechanic so the 'lash' still applies even if you're the only available player. Right?
I think Besmirch is an awesome card. First you smack them with their own creature, then you set up a trap. Either because it has to attack into something that will kill it, or because it removes a blocker for two turns.