Sets Conspiracy 2 Spoilers Thread

$2.99 vs $29.99

Is Recruiter 10 times better? Honest question. Because it might be.
When one uses a printer, all cards can be nice and cheap :)

But yeah Recruiter is very good. One thing that I like about it is that it seems good in both spell and creature heavy decks. In a jeskai prowess deck it can get Shu Yun, and in RW aggro it can get Alesha (for a very limited set of examples). Getting Monastery Mentor sounds strong either way, and it combos with flickerwisp

Edit: pretty neat that either recruiter can get Woodland Wanderer

Tutors are really powerful. And this one can be abused with blink/recursion, in a color that wants this sort of effect and doesn't really get many of them. It's a slam dunk in power lists and synergy lists that are cool with tutors of this caliber.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How good is Imperial Recruiter in cube, for those who tried? The 1/1 body seems so very weak, and at three mana it isn't exactly a bargain. Of course value plays like Recruiter of the Guard into Flickerwisp are pretty good, but I'm wondering about the standard case scenario of fetching one 2- toughness (or power in the case of imperial) creature.

FWIW, I run Goblin Matron and am very happy to pay 3 for that effect since it fetches really strong cards I want pretty much every game. And this new dude woman is fantastically better.

You pay 2 mana for Demonic Tutor (arguably the best tutor ever printed), and for 1 more mana you get a 1/1 body to chump or sacrifice to something and are limited to (large) subset of creatures. I actually think the effect is a really good deal.

I think it's more the effect that tutors bring. This is especially important in cubes with wide power bands. Where the best card in your deck is much better than the weakest, the more ways you can get your best card the more likely you will be to win games. The flatter your curve, the better card filtering effects will compare to straight up tutors. And that carries to the evaluation of cards like recruiter I think.

Is Demonic Tutor better in your cube than Impulse? And by how much? The closer impulse is to demonic tutor, the less valuable recruiter is likely going to be.

An interesting option for those considering multiple monarch-making cards, I think! I was originally tending towards only allowing Marchesa that honor, but the relevant typing, and the value of nuking a creature that gets a hit in on you by utilizing evasive creatures next turn, is pretty tempting.

edit: I rewrote this about a billion times. Talking, drinking, and posting to Riptide is not my strong suit. Well, not all at once, anyway.

oh my

recruiteroftheguard.jpg
i ran a white version of imperial recruiter for a while and this is p similar and likely quite strong but perhaps not quite as strong

FWIW, I run Goblin Matron and am very happy to pay 3 for that effect since it fetches really strong cards I want pretty much every game. And this new dude woman is fantastically better.

I've been thinking about including Matron for a little bit, what kind of targets do you have to fetch? How many do you think you need?

I've been thinking about including Matron for a little bit, what kind of targets do you have to fetch? How many do you think you need?

When I was thinking about Matron these are some of the cards I was thinking about.

Utility Goblins

Pingers

Aggressive Goblins

Goblins that make Tokens

Goblins that Need Support

Multicolor Goblins

Non Creature Goblins

Non-Goblin Goblins

This is in addition to things like Goblin Guide. Goblins can do a lot of neat things if you adjust your red section a little bit.

spykit.jpg

What even is this card? What can you do with it? Is it something we can consider cubing? It really feels super strange to me, although it also feels like a "duh why hasn't it been done before".

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
The newest legendary rules mean you can both have the guy, right? How does this work with meld? I guess this means you can Kokusho combo with only one kokusho.

When I was thinking about Matron these are some of the cards I was thinking about.

Goblins!

This is in addition to things like Goblin Guide. Goblins can do a lot of neat things if you adjust your red section a little bit.

Alright those are mostly the guys I was thinking of too, but there's a couple of good ones in there I'd missed. Do you know how many goblins your cube plays altogether?

As a long time Legacy goblins player I'm a fan of the little green guys, I know there's lots of stuff they can do but if at all possible the goblins that can stand on their own are preferable. How has Krenko been for you?

Here's a couple more you hadn't listed that I'm thinking about:

Dom Harvey

Contributor
no Conspiracy talk in the Goblins thread

I've always thought the success of Goblins would hinge on Goblin Recruiter and being able to chain them together in a ridiculous way, but that requires Goblin Ringleader and then you're going far down the rabbit hole

Skirk Prospector/Goblin Sledder with multiple Mogg War Marshals maybe?