Card/Deck Counterspells

I searched for this thread, read through it, and revived it by stating my opinion so that I could learn what people's thoughts currently are. And it worked! Keep the thoughts coming y'all

It's not important to me, but actually, I was the one reviving it. Excuse me please for my oftenly incorrect punctuation as I find it more important to keep the German one fluent and don't speak or write in English very often. Don't know if this whole post sounds salty, it really isn't my intention. :>

It's not important to me, but actually, I was the one reviving it. Excuse me please for my oftenly incorrect punctuation as I find it more important to keep the German one fluent and don't speak or write in English very often. Don't know if this whole post sounds salty, it really isn't my intention. :>

Your english is very good, much much better than my german.

Re counterspells I"m playing:

There's lots of points in this thread that resonate with me. I've been cutting back on the counters as I don't want there to be heavy counter control decks, I"m happy if they just play one or two. Personally I like remand and memory lapse, but I think they're actually less feel bad that straight up counters, and that's important for my play group.

I should probably have dissipate or syncopate in my graveyard heavy cube, and I might swap out either counterspell or scatter to the winds for one/both perhaps, but I like the idea of having some more +1/+1 counters over in blue, we'll see. I'm on the fence a little over whether counterspell should be dissolve, not sure.

Nobody has professed much love for arcane denial yet (you need to use the cool alliances art, not that new dross), I know it's card disadvantage, but its a hard cheap counter, for one blue mana and gives both players some more gas and reduces feel bad.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ich frage mich ob Gegenzauber nicht zu schwierig zu wirken ist wegen der doppelte blaue Mana!

That probably sounded awfully formal :)

Anyway, like I was saying in German, I'm wondering if Counterspell is maybe too hard to cast because of the double blue mana. Should I finally be benching it in favor of counterspells with a more flexible mana cost, even if that means saying goodbye to the original?

That depends on if you want people to be able to splash blue for counters, or if you want there to be some requirement for there to be more dominent in straight blue, and if you want people to be able to consistently counter on turn two.

Counterspell is kind of in a strange spot where it's almost worse to cast it on turn 2 because you would rather cast something like Mana Leak that is going to run out of utility later in the game. So I don't think the double blue requirement is all that bad at all - even if you don't cast it until turn 5 or 6, it's usually still going to be a good card.

AI'm wondering if Counterspell is maybe too hard to cast because of the double blue mana. Should I finally be benching it in favor of counterspells with a more flexible mana cost, even if that means saying goodbye to the original?

I think this goes back to the fixing discussion. How hard is it to build a deck that can routinely have CC on T2 in it's primary color? And maybe secondary consideration, how often are heavily mono decks drafted? If everyone drafts three colors routinely, then I can see the merit although unconditional hard counters for 2 are going to be good at all stages of the game.

Personally, I'd go to great lengths to keep counterspell in my cube just from a nostalgic standpoint. But I'm more sentimental than most.