General Cultic Cube video series

As WotC has gotten more diverse in their walker design, I think I should allow myself to relax on the walker restriction more.

I do like the restriction of only having one version of a particular character in the cube at a time, which I have tried on and off to enforce for myself. Mostly this fails because I like both Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope too much to try to choose between them.

I am glad you enjoyed the video and felt as if it had meaningful content to offer. Several people have told me that this was their favorite of my videos to date as it is treating a somewhat advanced topic that is potentially useful to enfranchised cube designers. I'm still sort of feeling out the level at which to pitch the videos. We veteran designers are the most vocal, but I wonder whether those new to cube design may be watching quietly. Also, my few videos that target drafters, such as the archetype primers, have been popular.

But to your point: I definitely appreciate as well that WotC has expanded the scope of walker design. Some of the uncommon walkers from WAR really lay bare the ways in which walkers "are" enchantments with modal effects.

I appreciate the named walker restriction. I couldn't do it myself, though! I appreciate that Lilis like you do, and I don't know if I could bear to part with my tribes of Jace and of Gideon.

In my new cube, I use planeswalkers as a lure into multicolor. The only monocolored planeswalkers I run are the flipwalkers (except Chandra).

Fair enough! I don't even count the flip walkers as walkers, lol. That would increase my count. Kytheon really is a creature from my perspective -- an excellent Savannah Lions. I also play JVP, who is a bit more the Planeswalker than Kytheon is, but still, he's very often a looter who eats a bolt.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Fair enough! I don't even count the flip walkers as walkers, lol. That would increase my count. Kytheon really is a creature from my perspective -- an excellent Savannah Lions. I also play JVP, who is a bit more the Planeswalker than Kytheon is, but still, he's very often a looter who eats a bolt.

Oh yeah, for sure! All of them are, really, though Liliana has the worst body and really needs the backside. Even Nissa is a narrow but perfectly playable Bordeland Ranger.

I am glad you enjoyed the video and felt as if it had meaningful content to offer. Several people have told me that this was their favorite of my videos to date as it is treating a somewhat advanced topic that is potentially useful to enfranchised cube designers. I'm still sort of feeling out the level at which to pitch the videos. We veteran designers are the most vocal, but I wonder whether those new to cube design may be watching quietly. Also, my few videos that target drafters, such as the archetype primers, have been popular.

But to your point: I definitely appreciate as well that WotC has expanded the scope of walker design. Some of the uncommon walkers from WAR really lay bare the ways in which walkers "are" enchantments with modal effects.

I appreciate the named walker restriction. I couldn't do it myself, though! I appreciate that Lilis like you do, and I don't know if I could bear to part with my tribes of Jace and of Gideon.

Most of your content has been quite good, but the last two videos have been a step up at least in my opinion. The gold section video did a very good job of covering the fundamentals for a novice cube designer, while still containing good refreshers for veterans.

The strategy videos are nice, but less essential in my opinion. There's a good amount of cube strategy content that exists out there already (I have a whole backlog of LSV clips to watch), but as far as I can tell, you are the only guy producing cube design content worth watching.

Yeah I'm definitely no lower than a 6 but probably not higher than an 8.

My cube is weird though since I run good accelerants and really strong low-curve interaction dorks, but I have a weaker top end than most other present-day cubes.

I fell out of love with Baneslayer in cube. Let's develop a more nuanced argument than the obvious one that she dies to removal. We consider popular cards that exhibit similar weaknesses as BSA, and I suggest cards that might replace these. I realize that this is contentious territory. If my takes are hot, they are, I hope, coolly argued!

We join TeamJbro, cube champion at the SCGCON Winter 2019 and all-time cube trophy leader on MTGO, to tinker under the hood of the MODO Vintage Cube (Summer 2019). How can we better our own cube design by looking to WotC's? And how can we use this knowledge to 3-0 drafts? Jonathan Brostoff talks big plays, finding an edge, and taking down the competition.

This is a good video from a strategy perspective, and it's interesting to see an evaluation of a cube that's way more powerful than mine. However, I agree with the criticism that I saw on reddit that this dude's cutesy nicknames for all the cards are the worst. He doesn't even use the actual common nicknames for the cards! Pter Pter vs. Scary Terry? Who is this guy?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I found TeamJbro thoroughly entertaining, but it was immensely helpful that you put the cards on screen while he was mauling the card names :') I can completely understand why people who listen to this video, rather than watching it, would be utterly confused.

Thank you for the feedback! I hoped that putting the cards under consideration up on the screen as we discussed them would be adequate for people to follow along. I learn from the comments on Reddit that there are those who consume the videos as a podcast. (Have they even seen the graphics?? those don't produce themselves, lol!) One person had mentioned this to me in the past. It surprised me at the time, and I imagined that it wasn't common practice. But clearly it's more common than I had believed. At any rate, I appreciate that you draw my attention to a problem, a barrier to entry, or simply an annoyance about the video. I'll keep this in mind moving forward.

Yes! I am thrilled with Jonathan's contribution and I respect his energy and élan. My concern is only to make content that is accessible as possible. After seeing Google's machine transcription of my first two videos, I resolved to upload my own transcriptions for closed captioning, with the idea that this would be of use to those with different hearing ability, those watching the video without sound, and perhaps those who are not native speakers of English. (Usually transcription is easy as I write an essay that I read aloud. This time, though, I want everyone to respect the fact that I transcribed by hand each and every "Grizzlebedizzle," lol.) At any rate, I should be cognizant of those who may not watch the content as well. Thanks for the feedback and words of support, all!

In the latest of the Cultic Cube video series on cube theory and strategy, we consider the wisdom of introducing a multiplayer mechanic to a 1v1 environment. The Monarch mechanic fundamentally and powerfully changes Magic's card economy. We look at some of the best enablers for the mechanic for different sorts of cubes.

Thanks to my Riptide peeps for good discussion of the mechanic. Your ideas and specific resources helped me immeasurably in formulating my thoughts for the video. A number of y'all appear in the credits at the end. Many sincere apologies if I left out anyone with whom I discussed the topic at hand.

Am gonna have to try out Palace Jailer now.

I like Custodi Lich because it can trigger on your other monarch cards.
I like Regal Behemoth although I wish they would print a new version with Dinosaur type.
I like Throne of the High City because the opportunity cost of running a colorless utility land that enters untapped are often non-existing.

Did you mention that Jailer is only a temporary removal?

Did you mention that Jailer is only a temporary removal?

Whew, I don't know; it's been too long! I imagine I did! A comparison to Fiend Hunter is both perfectly natural and also deceptive, given how different their return clauses are. I find Jailer to be better on average. Even if he dies, provided you maintain the beat down, you don't lose the exile and you keep drawing cards.

’Tis the season! We join TeamJbro, cube champion at the SCGCON Winter 2019 and all-time cube trophy leader on MTGO, to take a quick look at the Dec. 2019 changes to the MODO Vintage Cube and to reevaluate the updated format. Jonathan Brostoff leverages analysis of the cube list to find an edge on the competition and to bring home those trophies!

Parroting back what I said in the Youtube Comments of that video:

TrainmasterGT Youtube said:
Some of the December 2019 changes seem really bad. Teferi, Time Raveler is so un-fun that he should really never come within 15 feet of a cube. History of Benalia is way more fun than Hallowed Spiritkeeper. Golos isn’t really a cube card- if they were going to cut gilded lotus for something they should have just replaced it with the serpent. Narset, Parter of Veils is just a weird card for any cube, although I don’t think it’s an actively bad change like some of the others I was just talking about.

I get that it’s hard to curate a high-powered cube with new cards, but you shouldn’t be cutting fun cards for un-fun, un-interactive cards.

I get that WOTC wants to showcase some of the powerful new cards they've printed in the last year, but adding a bunch of War of the Spark cards 8 months after the set came out just to add War of the Spark cards seems really lame to me. I think permanents that shut down interaction in the way that Narset and Teferi do should really be reserved for White, the color which I view as being #1 in hate bear type effects.

That aside, I think it might be kind of cool if Wizards tries to make White Devotion a thing in the next version of the Vintage cube. The new Daxos from Theros: Beyond Death looks like a cube-worthy card, especially if his toughness boost ability is supported by an archetype. Evangel of Heliod is usually a pretty bad card, but if decks are actively being told "make 57 {W} symbols" it seems like it could be a fun option. More fun than Teferi, Time Raveler at least.

And who knows- there's probably at least a few other Devotion cards in Theros: Beyond Death. Maybe some of them will be good.

’Tis the season! We join TeamJbro, cube champion at the SCGCON Winter 2019 and all-time cube trophy leader on MTGO, to take a quick look at the Dec. 2019 changes to the MODO Vintage Cube and to reevaluate the updated format. Jonathan Brostoff leverages analysis of the cube list to find an edge on the competition and to bring home those trophies!

This was a good discussion! I especially enjoyed the Hostage Taker vs Fallen Shinobi discussion, although honestly I think I'd just run them both.

Do you love contraptions, beebles, & shouting "Gotcha!" or do you prefer your Magic in black borders? Either way, we've got you. Cultic Cube & cubefortwo collaborate on a series that is all about un-. My video addresses which silver border cards fit in black border environments. Cubefortwo offers an insightful how-to for building an un-cube from the ground up. I hope you enjoy the series -- we had a lot of fun swapping stories about whacky interactions and absurd board states.

I fear I might not understand what Split Screen really does. Can someone explain why and how Split Screen is a Brainstorm?