General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Neither did..

Wizards haven’t printed a card with Phyrexian mana for 8,5 years, right? (I might have missed some. If I have, please enlighten me.)

Fair point.
I'm mostly saying: is there a single good design among phyrexian mana?
There's tame ones sure, but are there well designed ones?

Good example!

This proves Wzards didn’t know how to make fair Phyrexian (Phyrexia laughs fairness right in the face!) mana but now they do.

Also I remember reading an article six or seven years ago where they stated they should have made Phyrexian mana only be:
1 generic mana/2 life
Instead of colored Phyrexian mana. There was some part of the marketing team that wanted five different colorful logos instead of only one grey logo.

I have decided to make the following quests be how players may obtain upgrades during my next Coliseum tournament (3 player cube) I used to run upgrades in the shape of conspiracies but I think the sticker versions are far superior. It invokes the feeling that each upgrade cannot be moved from one card to another and it is cleaner because the actual upgrade text is on the upgraded card and not in the command zone.

Here goes:

Win 5 games: Evolve
Lose 5 games: Persist
Cast 10 planeswalkers: Proliferate
Cast 15 instants: Flash
Cast 15 sorceries: Cascade
Cast 25 White spells: Lifelink
Cast 25 Blue spells: Prowess
Cast 25 Black spells: Deathtouch
Cast 25 Red spells: Haste
Cast 25 Green spells: Trample

Control 1 creature with 7+ power: Provoke
Control 2 enchantments: Enchantment
Control 3 legendary permanents: +1/+1
Control 4 artifacts: Artifact
Control 5 tokens: Battle cry
Control 10 lands: - 1 cost
Have 15 cards in your graveyard: Delve

Have 3 creatures you don’t control die in a turn: Wither
Have 3 creatures enter the battlefield under your control in a turn: Convoke
Have 3 lands enter the battlefield under your control in a turn: Retrace

As you can see there are three different sections.

The first section is a continuous score board. Whenever you cast a green spell, put a little ‘I’ and when you have cast 25 green spells throughout the entire tournament, you get to cross it off and cut out the ‘Trample’ sticker.

The second section is a board check which constantly checks your board state and if you at any point fulfill the requirement, you get the sticker. Example: The first time control two enchantments at the same time, you get a sticker with ‘Enchantment’ on it which is an upgrade that will turn a Mesmeric Fiend into a Brain Maggot.

The third section is an action check which constantly checks if you fulfill the requirement but clears its memory at the start of each new turn. It doesn’t help to play a land and fetch a land in one turn and the next turn play a land. You need three lands to enter the battlefield under your control in the same turn to get the ‘Retrace’ sticker.

——

Do you guys have any good ideas how to change the requirements? Any number issues? Did I miss a really fun keyword that could get a sticker?

Funny, I made exactly the same design many years ago :)

Except mine was Sorcery and had a different name. The design is solid but my advice would be to make it sorcery.

Instant + instant speed flash may be too much, I admit. Possibilities are sorcery speed, raise fight cost to 3 or 4, limit fight to sorcery(but thats wordy and less cool)

I agree. Probably just Sorcery + instant speed fight.

Depending on your cube meta it will be a very powerful card.

What about using the Aftermath frame so people
a) remember it casts from the yard
b) is a sorcery on the back-end
c) adds more diversity of frames to your Cube, which is good,

What about using the Aftermath frame so people
a) remember it casts from the yard
b) is a sorcery on the back-end
c) adds more diversity of frames to your Cube, which is good,

That’s a no from me. It doesn’t feel like an Amonkhet card which all Aftermath cards are as of 2019.

Honestly I completely forgot about aftermath. Never made the connection between that and the Geistblast ability. I don't really like the look of them, though