General Custom Cards: The Lab

I have tried and failed. So I am asking for help.

Can anyone find me a picture of either

‘Failure’
‘Talentless’
‘Incompetence’

Preferably a picture of an Orc that is failing at whatever it is doing. But anything goes :p

I have tried and failed. So I am asking for help.

Can anyone find me a picture of either

‘Failure’
‘Talentless’
‘Incompetence’

Preferably a picture of an Orc that is failing at whatever it is doing. But anything goes :p

d1a27n1-1ece3d1f-8fc2-42dc-857d-3a6ebf502a09.jpg

Here's one being harassed by Goblins.

6cb40af2b67c4a78f29b2c4962c81ed7.jpg

And here's one cooking Bacon and tossing it for some reason...

The first picture is pretty good. I am not sure it depicts someone not being good at something/being talentless/clumsy/incompetent. But I think it is the best of the three.

The second is funny but it is not close ro what I am looking for :p

The third is missing a background and is not showing talentless/incompetence.

Can I ask for another attempt from each of you?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I would, but Deviantart (my go-to source for fantasy art) no longer supports the old interface, which makes searching for suitable art a pain in the ass. I have no clue why they did away with the categorization they used to have. Also, I didn't find a any other art that fit.

I would, but Deviantart (my go-to source for fantasy art) no longer supports the old interface, which makes searching for suitable art a pain in the ass. I have no clue why they did away with the categorization they used to have. Also, I didn't find a any other art that fit.

Pinterest
Or Google ‘Fantasy Art X’ where X is what you are looking for. Then hit ‘pictures’ so you won’t get articles but pictures.

These two always work for me but once a year there is something I can’t find :) Then I go to Riptidelab and enter the custom section where I ask Onde, Chris or Train for help :p That always works!

I don't think the card represents overconfidence. If you look at the art without it, I don't think you would make the connection.

I think something showing a character acting smug before some sort of disaster happen would be the best way to convey it.

big ups to ArtStation. I got into it from one of my artist friends and it's been very good to me w/r/t sourcing high quality art

what's magic the gathering, anyway?

Terrain Twist {2}{G}
Instant
Search your library for a land card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Flashback-{G}, Sacrifice a land.

Flexible Forging {3}{U}{U}
Sorcery
Search your library for an artifact card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Flashback-{2}{U}, Sacrifice an artifact.

Altar Augury {3}{U}
Instant
Draw two cards.

Flashback-{1}{B}, Sacrifice a creature.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like these designs, but Terrain Twist being an instant feels wrong (despite Crop Rotation being an instant), and the front side is too cheap at 3 mana, in my opinion. Then again, if Rampant Growth is one mana more expensive than Lay of the Land, then maybe three mana is right, given Sylvan Scrying? Feels cheap though, considering all of the options we've seen so far (Reap and Sow being the closest).

Also, Tinker is broken, but I wonder how busted this variant would be. I imagine it's harder to do it on turn two now, but on turn three it's probably still busted to fetch out a 6- or 7-cost artifact, and that should be possible with a bit of looting. At least you'll have to properly work for it now, though!

Altar Augury is a sweet design that's clearly the weakest of these three by a looooong shot. Also, if you want to keep it one color, Perilous Research does exist, although the sacrifice isn't additional cost there, so it isn't quite the same :)

Other sweet options for this treatment:

I like these designs, but Terrain Twist being an instant feels wrong (despite Crop Rotation being an instant), and the front side is too cheap at 3 mana, in my opinion. Then again, if Rampant Growth is one mana more expensive than Lay of the Land, then maybe three mana is right, given Sylvan Scrying? Feels cheap though, considering all of the options we've seen so far (Reap and Sow being the closest).

Also, Tinker is broken, but I wonder how busted this variant would be. I imagine it's harder to do it on turn two now, but on turn three it's probably still busted to fetch out a 6- or 7-cost artifact, and that should be possible with a bit of looting. At least you'll have to properly work for it now, though!

Altar Augury is a sweet design that's clearly the weakest of these three by a looooong shot. Also, if you want to keep it one color, Perilous Research does exist, although the sacrifice isn't additional cost there, so it isn't quite the same :)

numbers in general should be adjusted to a particular environment. i am roughly sure there are reasonably playable environments where these numbers are fine, but honestly that's the least important thing to really worry about with regard to design imo. it's like cooking: "salt to taste".

- in most cubes i've encountered, sylvan scrying is pretty unplayable. rampant growth is not breaking most cubes, so it's not really a good comparison. rampant growth that just got non-basics would be completely fine in many cubes. i think a closer comparison point is harrow maybe. if this *isn't* the case, then yes, Terrain Twist requires an adjustment. reap and sow costs that much mainly because of the other half of the card, and the flexibility. being able to get a nonbasic is very rarely going to be that big a deal

- i know people in this forum experimented with "fair tinker" for like staff of nin or something. idk how that worked out for them. again, numbers are flexible based on environ. i think having to loot it is already clearly a bit more fair than tinker. this, again, depends on your environ.

- sure, the third card is the weakest in terms of "ceiling", but the floor is quite a bit higher.

i looked at some of these others actually, i just didn't have a good feel for them at the time. i think trash for treasure and harvest pyre and maybe rescue from the underworld. are the most interesting choices there.

edit: perhaps the front side of trash for treasure could be refurbish

let's take some risks...

Light of the Ancestors {W}
Instant
You may only cast ~ from your graveyard.
Tap or untap target permanent.
Return ~ to its owner's hand.

Fossil Fuel {U}{B}
Take an extra turn after this one. Sacrifice all lands and creatures you control.
Flashback {U}{B}

Inescapable Contract {B}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your end step, if ~ is in your graveyard, return it to the battlefield, and draw two cards.
At the beginning of your end step, if ~ is on the battlefield, discard a card.

Two customs I'm considering for a future update:
Archival Gearhulk.jpgSiren of Clouded Mind.png

They are simple riffs on Torrential Gearhulk and Agent of Treachery. This would make Gearhulk more abuseable (works with sorceries, gives sorceries flash, can recast the same spell if you bounce/flicker it), but with a smaller body.
Adding the untap on the Siren makes it a better answer to a board. The draw on Agent was too hard to activate, and when it did activate it was late enough that it was a drawback. Fateseal gives it reasonable value with only one stolen permanent, and still rewards stealing more. It might be too punishing, but it's probably fair on a boltable 7 drop. The art/name is very much not final, especially because Magic sirens have flying for some reason.

The front side isn't too good in my opinion- Natural Connection is a card- and a pretty bad one at that!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Me remembering how Necromancy was just a bit too strong for my cube made me want to revisit a 3 cmc reanimation design, and Theros provided just the right inspiration! It has some sweet synergy with Demonic Pact even!

Orpheus Underworld Guide.jpg

I wonder if this can be reasonably pushed to a 2/2?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Why does it make the creature an enchantment?

Because it abducts the creature from Nyx. Maybe I should call it "Stealer of Dreams" instead, for better flavor.

Orpheus Stealer of Dreams.jpg

Also made it a 2/1 because it feels so aenemic as a 1/1, and 2/2 seems a bit strong.

Okay so three things:
1. Cool that it works with Demonic Pact. I worry it doesn’t work very well with it since the timing can be difficult.
2. I feel like it should be an enchantment itself OR not give the enchantment type to the reanimated creature.
3. I also feel like it should sacrifice the reanimated creature whenever it leaves the battlefield and not just when it dies. Imagine exiling this guy and because he gets exiled he doesn’t kill the reanimated creature. Same with bounce etc.

All 3 are fine but I would do them different. But I see no harm in this card. Maybe you should push it to 2/2.