General Custom Cards: The Lab

one thing that you might add to this roster, since maverick/hatebears/prison seems to be an archetype you want to support, is a way to tutor up pieces of your prison lock. Recruiter of the Guard is one option for this, but it feels like maybe you want some redundancy there or a different spin on the same basic concept. Maybe a cheap white creature that tutors white creatures from your sideboard?

Pokémon: the Gathering - A Custom Set
Rolling out the custom set spoiler-style. A few cards at a time to critique and discuss. Showing some introductory cards now to give a feel for the format up front and then I intend to post like 3-10 cards every 1-3 days, depending how much discussion on the former post is still going and on the complexity of the new cards introduced.

I REALLY want critiques. Designing ~350 cards so far almost entirely solo (some input from playgroup if I was uncertain) has been tough and every new set of eyes is beneficial.

Am I missing something, or can you evoke Angel of the Final Seal and return itself if you stack the triggers right? Apart from that, I like a lot of these conceptually.

If you want to buff something further (especially for tempo or control!) I'd recommend adding flash. It's just rude on taxing and reanimating bodies. But I'm a big fan of all of these, at least in theory! Definitely some first-pick candidates.

Oh, and maybe make Archon of Forlorn Hope "White spells cost 1 less to cast. Non-White spells cost 1 more to cast?" No great reason, just my personal taste :) And thanks for sharing!
Hmmm nothing which a Angel creature type and a line like: 'return all non-angel ' won't fix ;) Thanks. And the Archon would look more uniform with non-white.
And I'm spitting out a lot of cards, doesn't matter much if I print 12 or 48. And I will test most of them, at the end I'm happy if a couple of cards stick and get included in the cube. In the end I want it to be a real Mtg cube, not a complete custom one.

Last edited:
one thing that you might add to this roster, since maverick/hatebears/prison seems to be an archetype you want to support, is a way to tutor up pieces of your prison lock. Recruiter of the Guard is one option for this, but it feels like maybe you want some redundancy there or a different spin on the same basic concept. Maybe a cheap white creature that tutors white creatures from your sideboard?
Nice one. Would a: (w) instant tutor for creatures power 2 or less work? There is no splinter twin or persist combo in the cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Some more ideas given life.

A Sensei's Divining Top variant:

Military Orders.png
Artist: Anastasia Ovchinnikova

An incredibly pushed Reanimate variant (note that instant speed reanimation is much more powerful than sorcery speed reanimation, because you can use the revived creature as a surprise blocker in combat or as a surprise attacker, this might need to cost {2}{W}):

Reviving Grace.png
Artist: Grace Liu

Or... uh, it's just an innocent little flyer, right?

Flutter of Wings.jpg
Artist: Julie Dillon

Nice one. Would a: (w) instant tutor for creatures power 2 or less work? There is no splinter twin or persist combo in the cube.
You know, I really like that tutor idea, but you wanted first-pickable cards, so let me present you with:

Conscript.png
Artist: Marius Bota

I think limiting the spell by mana value is a little safer than limiting it by power, but tweak as you see fit, obviously!

Some more ideas given life.

A Sensei's Divining Top variant:

View attachment 5974
Artist: Anastasia Ovchinnikova

An incredibly pushed Reanimate variant (note that instant speed reanimation is much more powerful than sorcery speed reanimation, because you can use the revived creature as a surprise blocker in combat or as a surprise attacker, this might need to cost {2}{W}):

View attachment 5975
Artist: Grace Liu

Or... uh, it's just an innocent little flyer, right?

View attachment 5986
Artist: Julie Dillon

You know, I really like that tutor idea, but you wanted first-pickable cards, so let me present you with:

View attachment 5987
Artist: Marius Bota

I think limiting the spell by mana value is a little safer than limiting it by power, but tweak as you see fit, obviously!
Really like the Conscript, feels white and would be really usefull. Reviving Grace could be a sorcery?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Really like the Conscript, feels white and would be really usefull. Reviving Grace could be a sorcery?
Yes, if you make Reviving Grace a sorcery I think it can safely stay at 1W. Well, safely in the context of a Vintage cube, that is ;)

Your discard outlets feel like an appropriate power level for Vintage cube as well.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Conscript is a sweet design, but how has it not already been used as a card name?
WotC are very aware of the limited number of iconic one word names available nowadays, so they tend to reserve those for either bread and butter spells they will reuse a lot, or for very evocative and/or iconic spells. Just take a look at all the one-word names that were first printed in 2021. If you exclude all the made up words from that list, you are left with only a few "real" one word names, that mostly fall within those two categories (in my opinion). Thus, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use "Conscript" on the design I made, because it has a (non-evergreen) keyword. I don't mind that it wasn't taken yet though :D

if anyone wants to get large quantities of custom/proxy cards printed, whether for your MTG cube or even some other game, but the full process seems pretty daunting…
i have a fair bit of experience in this area and may be able to help you. please DM me and let’s talk!

(if this isn’t something i’m allowed to post, please delete and my apologies)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
if anyone wants to get large quantities of custom/proxy cards printed, whether for your MTG cube or even some other game, but the full process seems pretty daunting…
i have a fair bit of experience in this area and may be able to help you. please DM me and let’s talk!

(if this isn’t something i’m allowed to post, please delete and my apologies)
@Velrun

Okay Jason

Cylix of Creation {2}
Artifact (Rare)
{T}: Create a token.
{1}, {T}: Create a token.
{2}, {T}: Create a token.
{3}, {T}: Create a token.

Insert exactly one token on each line. You can only insert a token once. Your options are:
Blood, Clue, Food, Treasure

Art (Click on the picture to see the full image)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The context of the activation costs does matter, actually! This is a hard one to answer though, since the tokens aren't three mana apart in value, and Cylix of Creation costs 2 mana up front itself... Pfff... rough. My gut says {0} Blood > {1} Treasure > {2} Food > {3} Clue, and here's why. While filtering cards is powerful, the Blood token is the only one that doesn't increase a player's resources in any way. Sure, it makes your hand better, but at least it costs 1 mana to activate on the token itself, so basically the Cylix is a colorless Merfolk Looter. That's pushed, but I think making any of the other options the free activation is more disruptive. If you put the Food token at {1}, you're still gaining life equal to the mana spent. I think that might not be an option you want so freely to give to blue and red decks, which is why I put the Treasure at {1}. It's basically mana parity, but if you could start hoarding tokens starting from turn 1, that would still be very dangerous. Luckily, the up front cost of Cylix means the first time it acts as a 3 mv mana rock, which is perfectly fine. In the late game, building Treasure tokens is relatively useless as well, which is another reason to not make this ability more expensive. I put Food token at {2} because it's less valuable than straight up drawing cards, so the Clue token gets to sit at {3}. {7} for your first card isn't great, but compared to Jayemday Tome it feels right (considering that the Cylix offers more options and spreads the payment).

The context of the activation costs does matter, actually! This is a hard one to answer though, since the tokens aren't three mana apart in value, and Cylix of Creation costs 2 mana up front itself... Pfff... rough. My gut says {0} Blood > {1} Treasure > {2} Food > {3} Clue, and here's why. While filtering cards is powerful, the Blood token is the only one that doesn't increase a player's resources in any way. Sure, it makes your hand better, but at least it costs 1 mana to activate on the token itself, so basically the Cylix is a colorless Merfolk Looter. That's pushed, but I think making any of the other options the free activation is more disruptive. If you put the Food token at {1}, you're still gaining life equal to the mana spent. I think that might not be an option you want so freely to give to blue and red decks, which is why I put the Treasure at {1}. It's basically mana parity, but if you could start hoarding tokens starting from turn 1, that would still be very dangerous. Luckily, the up front cost of Cylix means the first time it acts as a 3 mv mana rock, which is perfectly fine. In the late game, building Treasure tokens is relatively useless as well, which is another reason to not make this ability more expensive. I put Food token at {2} because it's less valuable than straight up drawing cards, so the Clue token gets to sit at {3}. {7} for your first card isn't great, but compared to Jayemday Tome it feels right (considering that the Cylix offers more options and spreads the payment).

Would Cylix be broken if it costs {1}? Same options as before. You may change them around. My guts say yes.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My gut says yes as well. Not in the sense that it would break Vintage, but too efficient for most cubes, except those with a particularly low curve.

I believe the game would be on rails if it made several token because the controller would basically be forced to activate it each turn.

And if we split or combined the abilities it would make the card too complex. Imagine:

0: Create a Blood token
1: Create a Food token
2: Create a Clue and Food token
3: Create a Blood, Clue and Treasure token

The card would just be difficult to control and to play against as well.