General Custom Cards: The Lab

I mean TBH if I felt pack rat needed fixing I'd just make the token making ability only on the base card

{2}{B}, Discard a card: Create a */* black Rat token with "This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of rats you control.
The fix is to just have it not create copies. If it created some sort of rat token that didn't have it's ability, it would have the same "build an army" style without just... being such a massive pain in the ass.
yep

Or fix pack rat by adding an additional cost at the copy making of the copy, e.g., 2b: create a copy of pack rat where the copy ability requires an additional 1 life.
If you make a copy with the copy than it will cost 2 additional life.

So pack rat has some copy protection, but not endless.

Yes Blood Ritual is a good idea. I really want storm to work in my cube but I removed all the rituals from the 360 cube as other archetypes just don't want it. I do have a draft matters Rite of Flame in my cube that I really like as a way to do something with storm. (though I haven't drafted with it yet)
O5kfkce.png

I really like your suggestion for Road/Path to Eternity. Seems better than Journey to World's End

I finally finished watching through your list. There are some interesting designs in there!

————

99DBBCB3-58EC-45F8-834B-87EE38FD1569.png
I really like this. Maybe I should try it out.

————

7A88EB03-7C4D-43E3-AC4A-B27C60B32116.png
I’m super impressed you found 10 perfect artworks!

————

8C05FD5C-271B-4CBE-B3D9-FEE6543953E2.png
Where did you get this art? It looks like it was made for Magic but I do not remember it.

————

2B8960DE-04D4-44B5-8BB4-8CD849EE8F03.png
The third Bauble :p It’s a fitting effect. Maybe you should name it Name’s Bauble (and choose a name that suits the ability)

————

825F13D6-AF44-4288-AAD0-AF0CF95A5560.png
Where’s the mausoleum? :)

Thanks for looking into my cube! If you want you can do a draft :)

Where can I find your cube @Velrun?

It took some time to complete the Crux cycle with all the names, art and flavour texts. As with most of my cards these are not my idea. This person designed five of them: https://www.reddit.com/r/custommagic/comments/i5e59q/common_artifacts_for_a_set_im_making/
At first they didn't have Ward but these are very bad for you when destroyed or flickered. Then I added Ward 2 and recently I changed it to Ward - Sacrifice a land.

Good idea to look for a better name for the Bauble. I apparently missed the fact it references a name. Maybe Emry's or Tasigur's Bauble?
I liked a Bauble effect in my cube, however I find the effects on the other Baubles not really worth it. That is just trinket text. This one is more substantial and helps with any graveyard or mill strategy.

Dawntouched Mausoleum is the name of the original card of the person that designed the card. I changed the art as this is much better but its name is something I need to change for a long time now. Any ideas?

I do focus on great art for my cube cards. Two other great art pieces I like are the BR Blossoming Ruins and GW Wildesage (Asur Misoa, great artist! https://www.artstation.com/asur-misoa).

There are also other cards I need to find better art for. As every (custom) cube designer I strive for perfection and someday I want to print it with MPC. Though I need to research the dpi of the art I use on all my custom cards.

Thank you for sharing.

My cube is a bit different than most cube owners but here it is.

The entire card pool (Ascension):
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/q0a?view=spoiler

The Basic Land Box:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5fbd58b45132cb1052dab23e?view=spoiler

We do not draft the cube right now. Instead we use some custom rules where players begin with a low-powered deck and get better and better cards after each game/match. We are in the process of designing a super, super low-powered starter set for initial drafting.

————

Ward - Sacrifice a land is perfect. Feels fair.

I think you can maybe wait on the Bauble name for now. I bet you get a good name within the next year for the Dominaria and/or Brother’s War.

Name ideas for your Orzhov land:
Dawntouched Deadlands
Dawntouched Barrens
Barren Fields
Fields of Scarcity
Or maybe something with the word Famine
Or Concealed Courtyard :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Dawntouched Mausoleum is the name of the original card of the person that designed the card. I changed the art as this is much better but its name is something I need to change for a long time now. Any ideas?
Much better than the art I picked?! Say that again! :p But seriously, there's an actual mausoleum (or at least some kind of tomb or crypt) on the left side of the original artwork I picked for this card. I really like the lighting, gloomy in parts, bright in others. Still feels like a pretty good fit for a WB land.

DDBC185B-4F9C-4B31-BC80-F48BBD6A3AF1.jpeg

The full art by Fan Ming can be found on this page. It's at the bottom of the page.

I like your art as well, but there's not a mausoleum in sight, so the name indeed doesn't fit with the new art. I'm not entirely sure it completely fits a WB profile with both the river and the mountains being a big part of the terrain. It's mainly the gloomy atmosphere caused by the grey clouds and the plains with patches of dappled gold light that build the atmosphere, and that atmosphere does feel a bit WB despite the UR terrain also being there. It's hard to pick a good name but maybe you can play into what defines the WB aspect of the art, and name it something like Fields of Sorrow, or Tarnished Fields, or Dolorous Low-lands?

Last edited:
Haha I didn't check that you designed it @Onderzeeboot :) The issue I have with the art is that it is quite gritty or noisy or how you say that. I agree that the lighting and gloomy setting is great.
I like your suggestion for Field of Sorrow. What does Dolorous Low-lands mean?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Haha I didn't check that you designed it @Onderzeeboot :) The issue I have with the art is that it is quite gritty or noisy or how you say that. I agree that the lighting and gloomy setting is great.
I like your suggestion for Field of Sorrow. What does Dolorous Low-lands mean?
dolorous: feeling or expressing great sorrow or distress. E.g. "a dolorous and repetitive tale of atrocity"
lowlands (sorry there shouldn't be a dash): low-lying country. E.g. "economic power gravitated towards the lowlands"

So, basically, Dolorous Lowlands would mean something like 'low-lying lands where the people are/become sorrowful'.

Thank you for sharing.

My cube is a bit different than most cube owners but here it is.

The entire card pool (Ascension):
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/q0a?view=spoiler

The Basic Land Box:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5fbd58b45132cb1052dab23e?view=spoiler

We do not draft the cube right now. Instead we use some custom rules where players begin with a low-powered deck and get better and better cards after each game/match. We are in the process of designing a super, super low-powered starter set for initial drafting.

————

Ward - Sacrifice a land is perfect. Feels fair.

I think you can maybe wait on the Bauble name for now. I bet you get a good name within the next year for the Dominaria and/or Brother’s War.

Name ideas for your Orzhov land:
Dawntouched Deadlands
Dawntouched Barrens
Barren Fields
Fields of Scarcity
Or maybe something with the word Famine
Or Concealed Courtyard :p
I looked at your cube and the description and this is a very unique way to play the cube. The cube is huge and it looks like it plays like chaos sealed or something. And it is for 3 players! What is the highest number of hall of fame points somebody earned?

@Maldar
I'm sorry. This is my fault. I am the person who has the worst skills when it comes to updating the cube community of my cube rules.

The cube tournaments are a bit chaos but it is never unfun. The cube functions with any number of players. We are often 3 but we also play only 2 player duels or 8 player tournaments. At some point we continued the tournament for so long that we ended up with some tier 1,5 Vintage decks or 2.0 Legacy decks. I don't remember the Hall of Fame count.

We are in the process of designing a starter set to normalize the starting of the tournament. A tight 360 cubes with supported themes. From then on we want the first new cards to be semi-supportive of the starter set. And then more chaos.

I would guess that with the banning of cards from the winning deck that the most powerful cards are out of the games after a few games.

I would guess that with the banning of cards from the winning deck that the most powerful cards are out of the games after a few games.
That is true. But players gain new cards between each round and they gain a lot more than the one card that gets banned. Sometimes we go with 2 lands + 7 spells. Other times we go with 15 random cards (spells/lands). The Sol Ring always gets banned but the Sword of Fire and Ice + Stoneforge Mystic 'combo' doesn't always.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I have a different question. Do any of you make high res custom cards and if so, how?
The Summoning Lessons posted earlier from @blacksmithy looked quite sharp!
Cardconjurer.com specifically outputs shit so high res I can't upload it.

You can't store card ideas there (Beyond I think 6 saved cards) so if you need to change things about your design you kinda need to recreate things from scratch, but it's amazing for single shot high res versions of cards.

I use Magic Set Editor to keep track of designs and card conjurer to make the sweet sweet nice versions of things for my cubecobra displays

I have a different question. Do any of you make high res custom cards and if so, how?
The Summoning Lessons posted earlier from @blacksmithy looked quite sharp!

Yeah, @blacksmithy does. He offered to make high resolution Card Conjurer designed and MakePlayingCards printed actual cards for me for a fee. I am very grateful. Please don’t overuse him so his prices go up ;) The custom Summoning Lessons are my designs hence I asked Smithy to post them. And I was greatly inspired by @Onderzeeboot when creating half of them.

When I receive the cards in late February, I will take a high resolution picture of them all so you can see the final result. They should feel like real Magic cards except they are just enough different to not be counterfeit.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, @blacksmithy does. He offered to make high resolution Card Conjurer designed and MakePlayingCards printed actual cards for me for a fee. I am very grateful. Please don’t overuse him so his prices go up ;) The custom Summoning Lessons are my designs hence I asked Smithy to post them. And I was greatly inspired by @Onderzeeboot when creating half of them.

When I receive the cards in late February, I will take a high resolution picture of them all so you can see the final result. They should feel like real Magic cards except they are just enough different to not be counterfeit.
Let me know how that works out, because if the look and feel good, I would certainly be interested!