General Custom Cards: The Lab

I found a download link for a high resolution update for MSE on reddit, but the link does not work anymore sadly.
I could look if anyone wants, but you can easily find that download. I got it two weeks ago.

The one with the extra fat borders for MPC and it's 450 dpi?

Is there real wording for a Boros Reckoner style card that's heavily nerfed?

"Whenever ~ is dealt combat damage, it deals (X damage) to the creature that dealt that damage."

I can't find another card that does this. They all hit the player or any creature/target.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

This is close?
You can probably say "Whenever ~ is dealt combat damage, it deals N damage to the creature that dealt damage to it"
or possibly "to the source of that damage"

Maybe I could reword to

Whenever ~ is dealt damage by a creature, it deals N damage to that creature.

Getting rid of "combat damage" gives a target in the first half of the effect and it's like 95%+ the same effect. I'll probably do that.

Marathon Study.png

As part of a new cube project (Ascension), we're doing this.

Players gain a sealed pool from a low-powered card pool of cards from Zendikar (all six sets), Faerun (Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms) and Ixalan (both sets). The setting and mood are adventures, exploration, dungeons, quests, risk, reward, traps and treasures. Whenever a player loses a game, they gain a few new cards added to their card pool. The further into the tournament we are, the higher power level the new cards added are. The player then gets to reconstruct their deck all over. This may lead to players upgrading their deck but maintaining their identity but more often than not it leads to players changing strategies or colors.

The cards are divided into five different power levels:
The starter set with the initial sealed card pool.
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4

The initial starter set has six themes (work in progress) besides also having a few learn cards from Strixhaven. The idea is learn cards create good gameplay in our opinions but are quickly being overpowered by higher level cards. For this reason we're adding two cards that care about lessons on higher levels. Marathon Study is one of them. In our format we do the same with all lesson cards as Wizards did with dungeons: All are available to everyone. (except they share a community pool which mean first come, first serve.)

The wording on the custom card is short for "Lessons you own have learn." We decided it shouldn't exile itself because it would rarely matter and when it does matter, it's just awesome. We also have a ban system so any card too busted this particular tournament will get banned in a fair way. I do see the irony in using the Kaldheim's legendary showcase frame for a Strixhaven card :p

We plan to include this card in the Level 2 card pool and we hope it will open up for the opportunity for the player to, once again, include some of their low-powered learn cards in their deck.

We're doing the same thing about dungeons where we also have two higher powered dungeons for higher level players in the hopes it will make that player include some of their low-powered venture cards again.

@Bumibu
First, how did you make the customs?
Second, let's look... I have't looked at other comments, so sorry if there's repeats.
Gub: Great effect. Perfect colors. Surveil doesn't need to be capitalized. If it proves slightly too strong, slap the effect onto a body so it's a bit more vulnerable.
Rgw: There's 0 white creatures with Undying. This should be any mix of colors other than what it is.
1Rgb: Is this supposed to monarch them and you try to immediately steal it? Needs more stats or something and doesn't feel very intuitive. As far as the colors go, I'm not sure who would give away monarch. Colors received monarch fairly evenly, so RB being reckless is about right. Feels Wrb to me?
1wbU: Change the name, fuck that release. Otherwise, feels right.
1ururW: Seems good. Could add haste or a toughness if it needs it.
Grw: Looks right to me.

1Rwu: Seems good if Sprite Dragon is a good fit.
1Wrb: Perfect mix of Wr double strike and Wb hate.
3Gwu: Can't help but feel this one is a little weaker. 5 is a lot of mana. That said, it's a lot stronger than Tatyova, so maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how I'd change it, either.
1gwB: Make this cost 2 and make Veil of Mold exile noncreature for 3 imo.
1Gur: This one's weird. There's nothing Gu or Gr about it. Maybe landfall for a ++ counter instead of the rummage?
1bwG: Fuck hitting lands for 3.

3Brg: Artifact doesn't need caps. Maybe he just makes a zombie, considering he's base black?
1wbR: This is weird to hit a historic permanent, wording-wise, but it's kind of just a Vandal. Seems ok, but unexciting. I'd want my R based Mardu card to SMASH.
rbrbG: Sweet.
Bur: No. No. No Skullclamp 2. Pass.
bgW: There's no green cards that care about historic. This doesn't make sense. Could be Esper in any ordering of mana, but not Abzan. Also, the wording is outdated.
Ubr: Some capitalization and wording issues, but this is awesome.

2?wUU: I can't see it well, but if that's a gw symbol, this is great.
3uwuwBB: Crazy mix of effects and very high mana cost. I can't tell if it's OP or slow or what. That makes it interesting, for sure.
Wgu: WotC wouldn't print this, but it seems strong and fine if there's only a single copy.
XUUbg: This is a really fun mix of effects!
1Urw: Having trouble assessing the power level, but it's intriguing, for sure. I'd leave it as is.
Bgu: Seems more like it should br Ubg as a mix of Strix and... that ice snake. Otherwise, we already know this card is strong and fine.

2ubR: Neat way to screw with a wheel. I like that the fateseal and scry are mild, as wheels are very strong.
1guR: Clean. I wouldn't be too mad if it were an instant, but sorcery is fine as well.
1Ugr: I personally hate tempo ETBs, but this is a cool one if you don't.
Wub: Is this just anti ramp? And makes fetches slow? I dunno. The trigger might be underwhelming, but it's on a good body, so that may cancel out.
1Brwrw: Feels a little RNG to me? Could feel really bad. I like the idea, but I'd hate to play with or against it. I dunno what else to suggest. It's possibly fine.
2brW: This heals the opponent if you try to remove their guy, ya? I'm sure someone pointed this out by now.

If you post these again, I'd love to have them color grouped like wuB wbU and Wub in a row.

Hope that was helpful. I only critiqued because I don't know what you're looking to add and it's way harder to design a card than critique one. Overall, I liked them. Even if I critiqued almost all of them.
Thank you very much for your analysis:

{G}{U/B}: This card plays very well and is my favorite of those cards. It gets allways picked and played. It is a feelgood card that is never too strong.
{R}{G/W}: Hmm, I like the card to be honest. It is like Strangleroot Geist and I could see that effect in woth RW and RG. Undying is a reverse Persist. So yeah, the card would not get printed by wizards, but I think the effect is fair.
{R}{B/G}: Well yeah, that is the idea. When I first designed this card, there was no card that gave you monarchy for less than 4cmc. So I thought it would be nice to make a challenge out of it. Now that there is Fall from Favour, the card looks a lot less intimidating.
{W}{U/B}: Yeah, I was a little bit lazy with the name.
{W}{R/G}: I think you saw the casting cost wrong.
{G}{W/U}: It plays quite well. I like it as it is. Has the potential to do some nasty stuff and combos with itself. It is nice with crucible-like effects and nice with MDFC-lands.
{B}{G/W}: You mean I should let this cost just 2? That would be way too strong, would't it?
{G}{U/R}: Well, we have looting in R and in U. I wanted to have another Ramunap Excarvator, witch is G.
{G}{W/B}: I play withvVindicate and Sinkhole in my cube. So that is fine for me.
{R}{W/B}: Yeah, it is a weird card. I thought it might have a nice flavour touch for red to prey on historic cards. Exiling Legendary Creatures or Planeswalkers is certanly very strong, maybe too strong, but I like to have strong removal in my cube. I could see an agressive card in this slot as well. Maybe that gets changed in the future when I want something fresh.
{B}{U/R}: Well, I like Skullclamp. But I hate that it is so strong. It is way too overpowered, but I love that it is such a good payoff card. So I wanted to nerf Clamp, so I could play it again. The card is strong as it is, but it does not feel overpowered. What I dislike somehow is the Living Weapon part. Because it feels a little counterintuitive. It just triggers the clamp. But I thought I deeded an immediate payoff. Maybe that is not necessary.
{W}{B/G}: Well, W can get Artifacts, Enchantments and Planeswalkers. WG can get creatures so that feels like a fit for the legendary creatures. B can get everything, so that is a fit for me.
{U}{G/W}: Yeah, the Opposition-Merfolk is indeed GW.
{B}{G/U}: I had it Ugb first and changed it later. I think it fits better in this colors. Icefang coatl feels UG because of flash and it gets deathtouch only if you have enough snow lands, so this is not really comparable.
{W}{U/B}: Yeah, I thought this could be a nice creature in a DnT-style deck, but it does not really deliver. I have something else in mind.
{B}{R/W}: Yeah, the effect really is RNG. Sometimes the card is OP, sometimes it is ok, but it really slows down gameplay. I will replace that card.
{W}{B/R}: Well, ONE creature gets lifelink, ALL creatures deal damage. So if I have a creature in play, I get some lifegain. And if the creature survives, I can attack and get another lifegain.

So here are some ideas for new cards to replace some of the existing cards:

I really cant come up with a Sengir Variant with double strike for {B}{R/W}. It is either too good or too expensive for a creature without protection.

Maybe like this:
Baron Something {1}{R/W}{R/W}{B}{B}
Legendary Creature - Vampire
Flying, double strike
Ward - Sacrifice a creature.
Whenever a creature an opponent controlls dies, put a +1/+1 counter on CARDNAME and create a treasure.
2/3

Bloodsoaked Blade {B}{R/W}{R/W}

Artifact - Equipment
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return target creature card with mana value 3 or less from a graveyard onto the battlefield and attach CARDNAME to it.
Equipped creature gets double strike.
Equip {3}

Chimaera of XYZ {1}{B/R}{B/R}{W}
Creature - Beast
Whenever CARDNAME enters the battlefield or attacks, you may tap target untapped creature. It deals damage equal to its power to its controller.
2/3

Spirit of Something {1}{W}

Legendary Creature - Spirit
Flying

When CARDNAME enters or attacks, you may tap target untapped creature.
Whenever you tap a creature an opponent controlls, you may pay {B/R}{B/R}. If you do, it deals damage equal to its power to its controller.
1/2

Rhystic Aven
{1}{U/B}{W}
Legendary Creature - Bird Cleric
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may draw a card unless that player pays {1}.
2/1

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I've forgotten the designs and it's too much to go back and forth and reply to the reply.

Rhystic Aven is cool.

Maybe haste on the Chimera design? Is it Brw or Wbr? Either way, haste seems appropriate.

I'll be honest, I've forgotten the designs and it's too much to go back and forth and reply to the reply.

Rhystic Aven is cool.

Maybe haste on the Chimera design? Is it Brw or Wbr? Either way, haste seems appropriate.
MSE puts it automatically in the correct order.

Rhystic Aven is cool.

Haste does not really fit for a WB card, does it?

Wording???

When ~ ETBs or attacks (or you draw, or whatever, I know wording here), put a NAME counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has a NAME counter on it, apply the following effects:
N or more: Effect A.
N+ or more: Effect B.
7 or more: Effect C.

Bold is the issue. Not sure how to word the effect to continue growing, capping at 7. The effects would get incrementally stronger as it's in play. At 7 it would do ABC. That's the idea.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wording???

When ~ ETBs or attacks (or you draw, or whatever, I know wording here), put a NAME counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has a NAME counter on it, apply the following effects:
N or more: Effect A.
N+ or more: Effect B.
7 or more: Effect C.

Bold is the issue. Not sure how to word the effect to continue growing, capping at 7. The effects would get incrementally stronger as it's in play. At 7 it would do ABC. That's the idea.
I got you buddy!

Unless you mean N+ or more: Effect B but not A. Usually those, Magic uses "instead" clauses in similar situations, but I don't think there is a precedent for a double instead clause (or if there is, I can't remember it). I would expect that to just work though, since rules text usually parses from left to right, so you'ld just end up in the right-most instead clause if you meet both exception criteria. So, taking Mayael's Aria as an example, it would read as follows:

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control if you control a creature with power 5 or greater. If you control a creature with power 10 or greater, gain 10 life instead. If you control a creature with power 20 or greater, you win the game instead.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So watching Jeff Hoogland stream arena, I've come to appreciate the 70s adventure module lands for just how much they stand out among other lands, easily communicating at a glance that this card is important and you should remember it's there.

I can't believe I'm saying this, I was pretty quick to say "Thanks I hate it" when these originally came out, but....

MbROQ74.png
6Yz01no.png
ylvPzBC.png
RDe1QTG.png
EOWtpIi.png

LuQ5V0r.png
PpjQQM6.png
y95tQ0H.png
yW2t3rC.png
SoO0cR3.png

5DJFIyw.png

I might add these to my cube.
(Yes I imagine I probably got the colors wrong, there's probably one of these where blue is supposed to be on the left, not the right, but that can be fixed later)

Also also: these were made with Card Conjurer, a webapp. At time of writing, I'm not evens sure there is a working MSE template for these frames, but from what I can tell, card conjurer just has everything (except local storage).

You can of course type in all the info yourself, but if you're editing existing cards, there's an import function that lets you pull together the existing text/collector info/set symbol etc of another card. It's pretty seamless.
Also the exported images seem to be pretty high quality, at least by gut.

Last edited:
For my cube it would be too little of a change from the original Cut // Ribbons to warrent a custom card. But you do you. And you do your cube! <3

I think this is a nerfed version. Hurting the opponent for X without spending a card is super strong if X is number of mana you can add minus 2.

However I do like the choice. We’ve seen it many times in the past on mono red cards and on Amonkhet in mono black so it makes total sense to see it as a black ability on a red card.

It is worth noting that a big change on this custom is that the new ability is not a cast. That is.. it doesn’t trigger prowess or magecraft unlike the original card.

For my cube it would be too little of a change from the original Cut // Ribbons to warrent a custom card. But you do you. And you do your cube! <3

I think this is a nerfed version. Hurting the opponent for X without spending a card is super strong if X is number of mana you can add minus 2.

However I do like the choice. We’ve seen it many times in the past on mono red cards and on Amonkhet in mono black so it makes total sense to see it as a black ability on a red card.

It is worth noting that a big change on this custom is that the new ability is not a cast. That is.. it doesn’t trigger prowess or magecraft unlike the original card.
yeah, my customs maker doesn’t have the aftermath capability, and losing the magecraft trigger hurts for sure.
and i agree it’s a nerf, but i think it’s still quite good since the front end is already a decent removal spell and the back end can give you somewhere between 4 points of reach and a 3-for-1. just a lot more interactive than “you’re dead now” from the graveyard haha

Nobody is going to discard a card if they can pay 2 life to avoid that unless they are at 2 life or has an absolutely useless card in hand (a 7-mana card against an aggro player etc) I think the choice will always be easy. I also think that’s why the Amonkhet ones said 3 life.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly, I'm with vel here. I don't think it'd be broken if this just dealt 4 to the opponent
@Chris Taylor
Interesting! Do you think you could take a picture of them after you’re done with the printing and adding the cards to the cube so we can see the final result?
Uh, absolutely, but I'm still a long way from needed to order paper cards. Still haven't done any in person cubing

Okay, I working on quest cards for a format idea I've had. It works like this, basically: You get a small sealed pool of 30 cards, but all fitting your chosen guild. Then, you'll play multiple rounds, but before each round (even before you tune your deck for it), there will be a quest revealed. That counts for both players and it should determine, how many new cards you'll receive at the end of the next game.

For now, I just want to see if I got the wording right. So could native english speakers and/or people who are good at writing mtg rules text give me some feedback? Would be highly appreciated, so I don't create more, which I then have to edit one by one, because they all don't make sense.

Embrace your Guild.jpg Focus your Skills.jpg

@ravnic
I promise you that both you and your players will LOVE the fact that players keep getting new cards between rounds. It creates such fun tournaments!

I would do a triggered ability.
“Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, you get a discover counter.”

Players and objects usually have more and more counters. Not different counters.

Template