General Custom Cards: The Lab

Two custom card noobs who know nothing :p

There is one... But I don't think it counts when it comes to color pie...

It completely removes a creature until it it randomly drawn again or searched for. But it doesn't give a draw to the player losing the creature.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Two custom card noobs who know nothing :p

There is one... But I don't think it counts when it comes to color pie...

It completely removes a creature until it it randomly drawn again or searched for. But it doesn't give a draw to the player losing the creature.
Yeah, this is a Recoil style of card. It takes two different abilities that are in pie (in this case both in blue's pie) that (sometimes conditionally) combine into an effect that is not directly in pie. E.g. Recoil says "destroy target permanent" on an {U/B} instant if your opponent is on an empty hand, and Spin into Myth says "put target creature on the bottom of its owner's library".

Kind of a simple combination of cards. Seems like a good fit somewhere.
Midnight Bloom.png
Any reason the order of the effects would matter?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is this for a magified Pokémon cube? That seems like one hell of a Magic card, but I don't remember how Pokémon resources work and whether giving someone (potentially) +3 energy for two mana is broken or not. As for the order, I don't think it really matters, but Oracle of Mul Daya suggests the order should be switched. That card first tells you you can play an additional land, then tells you you can play lands from a zone you normally can't do so from.

Um... Brad? I hope you aren't going to put Midnight Bloom in a cube with fetchlands in it. Because right now it can ramp out 3 (potentially untapped) lands on T2 in conjunction with fetchlands.

Is this for a magified Pokémon cube? That seems like one hell of a Magic card, but I don't remember how Pokémon resources work and whether giving someone (potentially) +3 energy for two mana is broken or not. As for the order, I don't think it really matters, but Oracle of Mul Daya suggests the order should be switched. That card first tells you you can play an additional land, then tells you you can play lands from a zone you normally can't do so from.
It's just a Magic card for a Pokemon set. Maybe the order's switched. It's a little hard to say. Think I'll switch it.
Um... Brad? I hope you aren't going to put Midnight Bloom in a cube with fetchlands in it. Because right now it can ramp out 3 (potentially untapped) lands on T2 in conjunction with fetchlands.
Na, I'm not going to have fetches here. I didn't even think about it in fetch context. It's not significantly better than Summer Bloom for the format.

There's gotta be something between this and Splendid Reclamation, which doesn't seem to get any love.

There's gotta be something between this and Splendid Reclamation, which doesn't seem to get any love.

Splendid Reclamation for {1}{G}?
Or maybe for {3}{G} like normal but with cycling for {G}?

Splendid is very swingy. It’s either super good or useless. Changing the mana value doesn’t really change this but it does make it feel less bad if it only gets one land. And cycling mitigates the downfall if no lands are in the GY. Cycling could also fit into the deck because why kind of deck would want a Splendid? My guess would be a self mill delirium deck.

Splendid Kicklamation XG
Sorcery
Kicker 3
Return up to X lands from yard to play. If kicked, return all instead.

Entertainingly counter intuitive to pay 0 into X for most effect.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Finding good art for the summoning spells is hard :/

Dinosaur Summoning.jpg Wolf Summoning.jpg

Hmm... I should probably attribute that quote on Wolf Summoning to a male character that could conceivably be the guy in the art... I can't find anything appropriate for Strixhaven flavor that also fits the colors I'm trying to design lessons for ({R/G} and {U/B})...

I’ve used that Dinosaur art before and I still like it :)

I kind of like both of your designs. Creating two 2/2 tokens is also unique from the others. Having one with trample is also unique. I like both!

Flavor text on Dinosaur is cool, funny and interesting. Solid.

Flavor text on Wolf doesn’t feel like it belongs on Innistrad. Or it’s out of touch with the story at least. First there was werewolves. Then Avacyn was released and transformed many of the werewolves into Wolfir (wolves). Now Innistrad has wolves and werewolves. But they don’t really turn on people per se. Or maybe I just don’t get the flavor text. That is also an option :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Still working on these!

Disciplinary Measures.jpg Dueling Practice.jpg

Dueling Practice is just Reckless Rage, but more expensive because lessons need to be suboptimal (since they're free riders on the learn cards). This effect is potentially desirable for the {R/W} heroic deck in my cube as well.

Last edited:
Very cool cards.

I think Dueling Practice is exactly as it should be with power level, art, name, flavor text etc. Everything is perfect for a lesson.
I think Disciplinary Measures doesn't feel like a lesson. I don't like that it can return to the hand but maybe that's just me.

Dear @Onderzeeboot I have a challenge for you:

Make an Owl Summoning, Devil Summoning and Centaur Summoning. You know which colors the three cards should be :p

You may also change names if you need to.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sphinx Summoning; {4}{W/U}{W/U}; 4/4 flying vigilance
Vampire Summoning; {3}{B/R}{B/R}; 3/1 trample lifelink haste
Avatar Summoning; {2}{G/W}{G/W}; */* power and toughness equal to the number of creatures you control