General Custom Cards: The Lab

those are nice! seek is such a great mechanic.
i do really like the part of abundant harvest where you’re NOT shuffling though. we do enough of that in my cube already with the triple fetches XD
EDIT: to be clear, i do not include the part where you shuffle first in my house rules for paper seeking

Last edited:
Show me designs using keywords from any of the Ravnica blocks, but only in the correct colors so that I can tag them with the appropriate watermark. For example, you can't make a card named Agony War that's Agony Warp with Overload 2UB because Overload is U/R only. As badly as I may want you to.
Impending Tithe WB
Enchantment
Haunt
When Impending Tithe enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts dies, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
1, Sacrifice Impending Tithe: Choose a nonland card type. Each opponent sacrifices a permanent of the chosen type.

Burning Retort UR
Instant
Replicate UR
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2. Burning Retort deals 1 damage to that spell’s controller.

Death from the Loam BG
Sorcery
Dredge 2
Each player loses 2 life and sacrifices a creature.
When Death from the Loam leaves your graveyard, create a Pest token.

So, something like...

Broko, Chief of Clowns - {1}{G}{U}
Planeswalker - Broko
+2: Make a Food token.
-1: Target artifact or creature you control loses all abilities and becomes a 3/3 green Elk creature.
-5: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you control and target creature with power 3 or less that target opponent controls.
[4]

Dear lord, even after double-nerfing the second ability Oko still feels really strong...

I'm in a real "fuck WotC" mood.

If you made an all custom cube, what archetypes do you think your 10 color pairs would support in order to get the most overlap?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

If you made an all custom cube, what archetypes do you think your 10 color pairs would support in order to get the most overlap?
Hey, I recognize that mood! My players are on board with trying out other ttrpg's after we finish the current 5e campaign, I don't foresee myself returning to D&D unless several stakeholders in WotC's management are sacked and the company becomes independent from Hasbro (and possibly shareholders in general) again.

Anyway, you need either a very broad mechanic, or a mechanic that can be made very broad. I like energy for this, as it can basically applied to any subtheme, but artifacts or counters also easy to interweave.

Adventure cards
Ninja and other self bounce
ETB creatures
Lesson / Learn
Magecraft and prowess (Mostly prowess most likely)
Madness and other self dicard like Drake Haven and cycling
Graveyard of various effects like flashback
Reanimator specifically also

These are great ingredients to make a nice wheel of cross-color synergies all around the color pie. You can always throw the party mechanic into all five colors. I also like to throw the Zendikar Rising spell/lands into the cube and use the Ravnica bounce lands as fixing. If you need more you can also use artifacts and metalcraft to go well with the rest. Aristocrats too if you need even more but I doubt you will. Remember to include a few micro comboes or synergies that doesn't outright win the game but adds a nice little puzzle mini game to the drafting.

I would be tempted to delve deeper into the Dominaria United design approach, where each colour focuses on a particular theme and the colour pairs relate to the intersection of those themes. For example white was about having lots of creatures, red was about having big creatures, and Baird, Argivian Recruiter was a payoff for red and enabler for white. Vohar, Vodalian Desecrator supported blue’s spells theme and black’s graveyard theme. It wasn’t fully implemented, though cards from other sets would fit better.

WU Adventure
UB Exploit Control
BR Artfact Sac
RG Riot Midrange
GW Tokens
WB Reanimator
BG Self Mill
GU Escape
UR Prowess
RW Communists

i just try to have 4-5 colors of various flavors of support for my big archetypes (lands, graveyards, zoo, spells) so that there's plenty of room to experiment, and then just have various minimalist themes sprinkled into the guilds, rather than having them be the main signposts.

Is it clear what these are trying to do? It's not confusing to figure out? Which do you prefer?
Is the reminder text worded properly?

Imo it is not the clearest, it looks more like a Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle variant, rather than akoum warrior. We could go with the flip cards from Kamigawa (and others). Where, yes, someone will have to flip them to read them at first, but during a match that is usually the point since only one part of the flip is in play at a time.
Reminder text is technically correct, but probably best to include the text "while it is a land it is not a creature" otherwise you'll get people thinking it is like dryad arbor.

The issue with Kamigawa flip is that it's very difficult to find art that makes any sense.
Reminder text is technically correct, but probably best to include the text "while it is a land it is not a creature" otherwise you'll get people thinking it is like dryad arbor.
Not a bad idea.

Would the whole situation be more clear if the other 'half' of the card were an instant or sorcery? EDIT:

EDIT2: Is it any better with the abilities swapped? I feel like it is, just a bit. Like the Terramorph ability splits it from the top and then the rest of the card is the Terramorph.

Last edited:
Would the whole situation be more clear if the other 'half' of the card were an instant or sorcery?

EDIT2: Is it any better with the abilities swapped? I feel like it is, just a bit. Like the Terramorph ability splits it from the top and then the rest of the card is the Terramorph.

Yeah if it's an instant or sorcery then it looks much cleaner since the only time instants and sorcery's "stay on the battlefield" is if you're doing Panoptic Mirror and Isochron Scepter shenanigans. The swap helps too, makes it feel more like an Adventure card.

The swap helps too, makes it feel more like an Adventure card.
Yeah... I already drafted this up...
Maybe this is the best way to go about it. This didn't work when I wanted to cast a creature, but it seems fine for nonpermanent spells.

That said, the 6 mana spell as the Adventure half kinda sucks ass because you don't especially need a seventh land. That's a downside here. It don't think it fixes your hand as well unless the spell half is 3 or less mana, or something.

Feels more like a land with upside than a M1FC

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Following prototype, I liked the version using the bottom box for the main effect, and the shaded top box for the Terramorph ability best. Obviously this kind of card works best when it pairs a non-permanent spell (instant or sorcery) with a permanent spell (land, in this case), but it could work with other permanent types if you make those use counters! For example, the creature half could be a 0/0 that etb’s with a number of +1/+1 counters on it. That way it will either exist on the battlefields as a card without counters in your land pile, or as a permanent with counters in whichever space you use for your other permanents.

Following prototype, I liked the version using the bottom box for the main effect, and the shaded top box for the Terramorph ability best. Obviously this kind of card works best when it pairs a non-permanent spell (instant or sorcery) with a permanent spell (land, in this case), but it could work with other permanent types if you make those use counters! For example, the creature half could be a 0/0 that etb’s with a number of +1/+1 counters on it. That way it will either exist on the battlefields as a card without counters in your land pile, or as a permanent with counters in whichever space you use for your other permanents.
Damn. Prototype in CC with a land-colored overlay would be sweet.

I think I'm simply going to do adventures, as the frame is actually designed for this kind of thing. Shame it can't do a permanent spell, but it'll be fine. I want some hand smoothing and that can be achieved either way.

Do you guys think we will see a return to the Adventure mechanic in the upcoming Eldraine set?

Do you think we will see other card types than creatures have Adventures? Could be lands or other