General Custom Cards: The Lab

2 damage to any target and a 2 damage to yourself, or maybe even 3 and 3? Jessie and James *are* known for their plots blowing up in their own faces, after all.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man I really want to attach like "sacrifice a creature at the beginning of the next end step" to the middle mode or something :p

Uh, nerfing the 3rd mode. You could have it only hit creatures? You could only have it hit players if you're more worried about the 2-for-1 potential than the sheer game ending damage.
On the blowing up note, you make the 3rd mode a sweeper instead of a punch. Maybe that's too powerful if everyone has ONE fatty specifically, but you're a better judge of that than I am

For information, the target of the first mode is not a legal target for the third mode (unless you threaten your own creature).

You could make N target creatures unable to block, or give a creature double strike (and trample?), but ideally it would perhaps be nice to pull it away from just being a modal alpha-strike card.

- have them fit there character flavorwise
- find three modes where none of them is an autopick everytime
- if possible, find three modes that all synergize with each other in some way
I know almost nothing of Pokemon. I just want to say that I think this is really nice and exactly like how I would also try to design the cards.

About the specific card and the third option, here are my four suggestions
- You can let it deal damage to something that isn't 'any target' but a more specific target?
- You can let it deal damage equal to half its power to any target? Or dmg equal to its power -2.
- You can let it backfire and deal damage to you or something you have also (like others have suggested)?
- You can buff the other two options and let the third one stay like this? And then also make the card more expensive. Suggestion could be to control the pokemon for longer than just until end of turn. Suggestion could be to let the pokemon get +3/+0 instead of +2.

On an side note you have to change your wording if we're doing Magic wording. The last ability needs to not include the word 'target' to work. When casting a modal spell all targets must be chosen upon paying the mana cost to put the spell on the stack.

2 damage to any target and a 2 damage to yourself, or maybe even 3 and 3? Jessie and James *are* known for their plots blowing up in their own faces, after all.
I like the idea of having that part of their characters be represented. But if possible, I would like to have something that has in some form any kind of synergy with threaten and trumpet blast- although I could imagine changing the second mode as well. Hmm.

Uh, nerfing the 3rd mode. You could have it only hit creatures? You could only have it hit players if you're more worried about the 2-for-1 potential than the sheer game ending damage.
On the blowing up note, you make the 3rd mode a sweeper instead of a punch. Maybe that's too powerful if everyone has ONE fatty specifically, but you're a better judge of that than I am
Honestly, I don't know which would be more tame. Only going face would turn it into a "play when you win or don't play it at all"-card even more, but hitting creatures is what makes this really as strong as it is.

A sweeper would be interesting. Would definitely give it some real modality ...

For information, the target of the first mode is not a legal target for the third mode (unless you threaten your own creature).

You could make N target creatures unable to block, or give a creature double strike (and trample?), but ideally it would perhaps be nice to pull it away from just being a modal alpha-strike card.

Oh, you're right. It should have been "chose a creature, it deals ..."

More importantly: I think you identified the card's biggest problem. It is supposed to be a modal card, but really just gives you different ways to win the game this turn ... I don't want that, actually.

I would like to keep the threaten, as it feels very Jessie & James, but maybe I could make this card an instant, change the first two and give it more actual modes that way?

Maybe just nerfing the third ability isn't where this needs to be?

Second pitch.

RN5 Jessie and James Kommando.jpg

Jessie's & James' Command {4}{R}
Sorcery
Chose two -
- Gain control of target Pokémon until end of turn and untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
- Pokémon you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
- Sacrifice a Pokémon. It deals damage equal to it's power to each other Pokémon.

If you chose modes 1&2, you get the same alpha strike card, just a little weaker than before with the targeted removal attached.
If you chose modes 1&3, you have their pokémon wipe the board OR attack them with their fattie after wiping the board.
If you chose modes 2&3, you can mae sure that one Pokémon is powerful enough to kill everything OR to kill them after everything else got wiped.

Maybe @Chris Taylors idea was just awesome?

I don’t like buffing the third ability when it was already the strongest of the three.

There is almost no way you’re not sacrificing enemy Pokémon. I mean yes..but only if opponent has no Pokémon at all.

But is it really more powerful? I mean, Wrath of God is more powerful than Murder, but also more situational. Especially in an evironment where every deck is creature heavy by definition. And the boardwipe-mode does pull it into another direction, which might make the spell as a whole less powerful?

That being said, I could see myself making it six mana.

I think maintaining the original effect but adding an additional drawback like "deals damage equal to its power to target creature and to you" is both flavourful and a significant nerf.

But is it really more powerful? I mean, Wrath of God is more powerful than Murder, but also more situational. Especially in an evironment where every deck is creature heavy by definition. And the boardwipe-mode does pull it into another direction, which might make the spell as a whole less powerful?

That being said, I could see myself making it six mana.
I would say yes, it is more powerful because of the other modes this card has included.
It's a lot better to sacrifice opponent's Pokémon than sacrificing your own or not sacrifing it. It's like +1 card advantage compared to before.

It also makes modal option 2 + 3 a lot less likely unless you can straight up kill the opponent on the spot. Because you would sacrifice your own Pokémon. This makes the card an additional - 1 card advantage.

So you've effectively made the third option a bigger swing between when choosing modal option 1 and modal option 2. If you choose option 1 then the third option is +2 card advantage compared to if you pick option 2 which leaves option 2 + 3 obsolete unless they end the game.

May I direct your attention to the four suggestions I had higher up on this page? <3

I think maintaining the original effect but adding an additional drawback like "deals damage equal to its power to target creature and to you" is both flavourful and a significant nerf.

Hmm. This way you would still do it, if you can win immediately. I don't like that it increases the probability that this is the last card cast in a game or it's dead in your hand even further.

I would say yes, it is more powerful because of the other modes this card has included.
It's a lot better to sacrifice opponent's Pokémon than sacrificing your own or not sacrifing it. It's like +1 card advantage compared to before.

It also makes modal option 2 + 3 a lot less likely unless you can straight up kill the opponent on the spot. Because you would sacrifice your own Pokémon. This makes the card an additional - 1 card advantage.

So you've effectively made the third option a bigger swing between when choosing modal option 1 and modal option 2. If you choose option 1 then the third option is +2 card advantage compared to if you pick option 2 which leaves option 2 + 3 obsolete unless they end the game.

May I direct your attention to the four suggestions I had higher up on this page? <3

First, let me make clear, that I really, really appreciate how invested you are. This is a prime example of why I am so grateful to be a part of this board!

However, I think the card advantage part might not work out like that? I mean, when you're saccing a creature to wipe the board, chances are it would've died anyway? Or, at least, it doesn't significantly change your boardwipes' effectiveness, as killing one more Pokémon on the other side might not matter if you kill four of your own. I think the interesting part here would be in a situation like that:
- You have a couple 3/3s
- They have like a 2/2 and a 2/4
In that situation you could turn this into a one-sided wrath.
Which might be too good.
Is that what you meant?

Regarding your other suggested abilities, I didn't respond to them explicitly, as they are nerfed versions of the third ability, but @Mown really sold me to the idea of moving this away from just being a modal alpha strike card.

So I also wouldn't mind changing ability 2 & 3 completely

However, I think the card advantage part might not work out like that?
So I was responding to your question.

You posted a card. I commented. You change the card. I said now the third ability is even better. You asked why. I responded.

So what I mean is that now the third ability is +1 card advantage better than it was before.
Before you would deal damage to 1 thing. Now you at least kill two things because you deal damage to whatever is on the board which is at least 1 Pokémon; otherwise you wouldn't use the ability. And you also sacrifice the Pokémon. So you're at least up +1 card advantage compared to before. And it's always better sacrificing enemy Pokémon, right? Especially if the board wipe is a damage dealing one so you can choose to take the most favorable one for you. The one that you couldn't kill with the damage but can sacrifice. The one that doesn't deal enough damage to your Pokémon when sacrificed.

Anyway that's how I see it.

I can see that it doesn't end the game so easily anymore. But option 1 + 2 does this.

Currently I am not a fan of the card. Maybe you should go for some smaller effects. Like 1-2 mana Magic cards.

Instead of sleeping, I think I've came up with a new approach I like better.

Jessie's & James' Command {4}{R}
Sorcery
Chose two —
• Gain control of target Pokémon until end of turn and it gains haste. Untap it.
• Discard a card, then draw two cards.
• Chose an attack card in your graveyard. It gains flashback {R} until end of turn.

We still have J&J's tendency to steal Pokémon, their ability to come up with new plans and the fact that they attack again and again.

Attacks are essentially powerful bite cards, but some of them might require a Pokémon of a certain type. You need an electro, normal or poison type to use Thunderbolt for example. That means there is also a minor synergy with the threaten ability. And of course a major one with the rummage.

Warning: Big pictures incoming

Here is what the enemy-colored Slow Fetches look like in my cube. I have put them in Level 1 because all shuffling are banned on the first game of the tournament. When the players are on Level 1 the Slow Fetches can fetch dual lands like Idyllic Beachfont from the starter set as well as Basic lands. From Level 1 the players gain access to bicycle / Tango dual land cycle from Battle for Zendikar: Cinder Glade. On Level 1 we also have the enemy-colored bicycle / Tango as custom cards. Players have to prioritize getting these if they want the sleight upgrades. If not they can wait because better lands with fetchable land types are available on Level 2.

19.png20.png21.png22.png23.png

Design notes:
The lands had to be from Mirage. This meant the names had to be simple like the original Bad River cycle and the set logo had to be the Mirage set logo. Original artist is credited.

Big thanks to @blacksmithy as always for helping me bring these to life.

(The uploaded pictures are not fully cropped yet. This means you'll see a bit much black on the card frame, which I will cut whenever I have time.)

Last edited:
Personally only feel like the quagmire art is working in the old frame. Maybe the lagoon, but super not the isle.

That's not to say that any of the art is bad. Only to say that it lacks the old school vibe.

I am very happy about the modern art. They are not suppose to be old. I want them to feel like Wizards did a new set from 2023 with the old Mirage cycle. And this is the some sort of retro version.

Compare to these new art cards on old border.

IMG_2143.jpegIMG_2144.jpegIMG_2145.jpegIMG_2146.jpegIMG_2147.jpeg

Last edited:
fhjMt7j.png

Since Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh was printed I wanted to have a planeswalker with its static ability in my cube. I colorshifted this to Boros so it could work well in an equipment theme (the ability also works great with Clues). Therefore I want the planeswalker to be of mana value 3 so its fits better in an aggro deck.

The first loyalty ability is taken from Kaito, Dancing Shadow. I think it is a good plus ability for offense and defense that is not too strong. It also could work fine in the white superfriends archetype for defense.

I was struggling a bit with the last loyalty ability. This ability comes from The Restoration of Eiganjo. The discard makes it not too strong for a 3 mana planeswalker I think.

What do you think of this card? Do you have any ideas for a better last abilty that fits better with an artifact/equipment/aggro theme?

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That is a very cool planeswalker!

The final ability isn't worded correctly. I think it should be...

"Discard a card. When you do, return target artifact or creature card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield."

The intervening when-clause should enable you to reanimate the discard card, iirc. You could also make a tweak to make Nahiri work on an empty hand!

"Discard a card. Then return an artifact or creature card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield."

Thx! You are right on the wording. I have made an oracle change for this wording for my cube to shorten the text > The phrases like "Discard a card. If you do, draw a card." are replaced with "Discard a card to draw a card". So actually it is not a when you do but an if you do clause.

i think it is very strong and easily worth 4 mana. static ability means you can crack a clue on turn 3 when you play Nahiri which means she has two immediate impacts the turn you play her. i also think at 1RW the minus ability should not be repeatable without +'ing - how about, like, 1RW 3 loyalty , static, +1, -2? its a lot more interesting in play than a minus-one would be.

Thanks for your comment @safra. I agree the second loyalty ability is better as a -2.

As a -2 ability, equipment tutoring fits very well here I think.

KvsaO3I.png

Last edited: