Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

Okay, has anyone noticed the huge amp in stats on creatures in this set? A common green 5/5 for 5 with conditional trample for your team. The 2/1 blue flying dude without a drawback. A strictly better common Giant Spider. Basically a 3/3 common with counter synergy in white. Not enough evidence?

Red is getting a Conundrum Sphinx of its very own. Possibly better than Sphinx. That's a 4/4 for 4. In red. With upside.

This set may be something quite special...

radiantpurge.jpg
thunderbreakregent.jpg

Thunderbreak Regent
Flying
Whenever a dragon you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, ~ deals 3 damage to that player.

Radiant purge is a neat constructed card I guess. Renounce the guilds 2.0

I feel like SuperFerocious is not going to happen often in cubes. Sure, in Khans you often have board states with big fatties staring each other down from across the red zone, but how often does that happen in your cube?

Laz

Developer
How hard is it to put 'When this creature is turned face up, put a +1/+1 counter on it' on cards? I mean, sure it probably 'doesn't capture the flavour of dragons being better at morph-y magics', but it also doesn't make me feel like I am watching Power Rangers every time I have to read the keyword.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, has anyone noticed the huge amp in stats on creatures in this set? A common green 5/5 for 5 with conditional trample for your team. The 2/1 blue flying dude without a drawback. A strictly better common Giant Spider. Basically a 3/3 common with counter synergy in white. Not enough evidence?

Red is getting a Conundrum Sphinx of its very own. Possibly better than Sphinx. That's a 4/4 for 4. In red. With upside.

This set may be something quite special...

Rares bro. Rares affect limited a lot less, so while stratus dancer is an actually good welkin tern, you feel the difference a lot less in the actual format. Fate Reforged did this a lot as well.

also small nitpick but the giant spider isn't splashable (Though 3/4 and megamorph does likely make it better), and the white counter guy is worse than he looks because bolster is hard to control sometimes.

Lastly: Not that it matters much, but superferocious does count the total power of all your guys, not just one guy having 8 power. That looks way more reasonable, not that I particularly want a 5/5 primal rage anyways

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also:
silumgarsassassin.jpg

1B
Creature - Human Assassin
Creatures with power greater than Silumgar's Assassin's power can't block it.

Megamorph 2B (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up at any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

When Silumgar's Assassin is turned face up, destroy target creature with power 3 or less an opponent controls.

Hey look it's an evasive black 2 drop that can fucking block. Damn wizards, you guys sure are raising the bar!
Off the basement floor :p

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Scalable threats are the best.

I like this guy way better then the other terror-dude variants, except maybe bone shredder.

I'm going to run Scute Mob again #Swarmyard.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I've been having a lot of fun using conditional reanimation as a means of giving white decks resiliency, but I'm not sure that requiring a blue splash is the direction I want to go with that. That said, I do like the W/U command, considering how many W/U cards are just harder to cast white cards with irrelevant upside. And Geist of "Completely broken in a cube that runs spectral flight and such". My only W/U cards at this point are the complete expendable Battlewise Hoplite and Ephara (which admitedly I like a lot), so there is room to work there.

Unrelated, Tethmos High Priest didn't get played in its first tour of duty, is that card workable or just trash?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
pristineskywise.jpg
arashinsovereign.jpg
necromasterdragon.jpg

Along with the two above are the intro pack rares thus the prerelease rares. Pick yer poison!

shamanofforgottenways.jpg

I honestly never thought I'd see Biorhythm of all things ever again, but I guess at an 11-mana activation they forced it into modern magic.

It'll still probably get banned in EDH.
Or hell if they don't I'll do it. He produces mana after all, how shit can he be?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i really really really hope the whole command cycle is instant speed this time round, instead of just the blue one(s) o_O

Chris Taylor

Contributor
i really really really hope the whole command cycle is instant speed this time round, instead of just the blue one(s) o_O

I don't. No need to shoehorn blowout possibilities where it might not be needed. Sure, profane command would be better as an instant, but it'd probably cost BBBX, and be way worse.

I just don't see green having 4 different modes that wizards would even allow at instant speed. Kill a flier, fight, noxious revival? land grant??? Both the black commands could easily be instant, but RG and WG seem like they'd be a stretch to make both instant and not garbage. I'd bet money the UB one can do a countersquall impersonation.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i'm as devoted a member of Team Volcanic Hammer as any, but i'm coming around to Lucas's perspective that green, more than any other colour, most needs instant speed tricks to give it more game and prevent all its decks from congealing into similar, predictable midrange decks

if the two blue ones are instant speed and the two green ones are sorcery, that would be mega lame

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Green one could, I just dont like the idea of them all having to be instants because you know there will be that one that really should have been different, but no: cycle

and honestly, Ojutai's command is 4 different 1-2cc modes. Green can do things at instant speed at that CMC. Hell giant growth could be one of the mdoes

I feel so conflicted about this block because the keep bringing back awesome things I love like rebound and hybrid mana but the overall power level of limited is designed around 60% of creatures being grey ogres.

Like can you imagine staggershock in this limited format? That thing was common! Red would be the best color, not close. Hell shock was insane in regular onslaught. Now they learned their lesson and shock costs 2 and is a sorcery.
We're still getting cubable cards, but they're all these overproduced rares and mythics, and I enjoy them don't get me wrong, but something still has my gut here.
Ah well. I can hack 2-3 colorless off any cards I do like anyways. Customs :)