second thought: maybe i will open one at the PT and squish much better players

GW command predictions:

GW3

Instant?

Bolster 2
Wing snare
Put two 1/1 Warriors into play
Destroy target artifact or enchantment

Feels like cheating to use modes that are either color instead of very distinctly one or the other, like Ojutai's.

I also want to believe they will avoid modes that are on charms, but some of them are so generic that seems unlikely.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
first thought looking at all these dragons: this limited format is gonna be ass

second thought: maybe i will open one at the PT and squish much better players

whatever bad Plummet variant they put in is probably premium removal now right?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
en_Q21slVTGSa.png

Holy crap this is awesome!

No {W}{U} in my cube though :(

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I can't say I dislike Narset. The loyalty does seem a little on the high side, though, doesn't it? That's a pretty big fog.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
yeah, four mana walkers that don't defend themselves have traditionally been bad, but being able to start at 7 (!!) loyalty might offset that weakness entirely

I'm not really impressed with Narset. As someone who cubed chandra, the firebrand as a build-around with a high power ceiling, people just didn't like their planeswalkers to require other cards to function, and I don't think they're wrong. Fluffing the starting loyalty as a way to power up a walker that doesn't actually do anything is super bland.

Uncommon megamorph cycle:
marangriverskeleton.jpg
avensunstriker.jpg
gudullurker.jpg
stormcragelemental.jpg
saltroadambushers.jpg

Good lord the ambushers' ability. "Super boring durdly big guy" got shifted to red, I see.

foerazerregent.jpg
dragonlordsservant.jpg
scaleguardsentinels.jpg

"Can I reveal hornet queen for scaleguard sentinels? No? ok..."

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Scaleguard makes Kalonian Tusker look stupid with a bigger body AND +1/+1 synergy, but I don't think there are dragons enough to make it work.

I'm pretty excited about DTK so far! This is my first preview season where I am thinking about cards in terms of their application to non-WotC limited environments, and even the crappers are standouts! "Dies to bolt? Maybe this cube is more of a shock cube..." Seriously, though, all of these additional utility morphs and +1/+1 counters have head spinning. Forget planeswalkers!

Why is no one talking about my main girl, Kolaghan? A 6/5 for 6 WITH flying and haste, and your team gets haste...

....and the last ability is almost irrelevant in cube if not completely irrelevant in most cubes, period.

Okay, so new Kolaghan is more a standard card than a cube card, and old Kolaghan is probably better for cube. But DAYUM, SON! That art is sooo much better!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm not really impressed with Narset. As someone who cubed chandra, the firebrand as a build-around with a high power ceiling, people just didn't like their planeswalkers to require other cards to function, and I don't think they're wrong. Fluffing the starting loyalty as a way to power up a walker that doesn't actually do anything is super bland.

Uncommon megamorph cycle:
marangriverskeleton.jpg
avensunstriker.jpg
gudullurker.jpg
stormcragelemental.jpg
saltroadambushers.jpg

I just want to be the first one to say it:

"Mighty Mega Morphing Rangers"

Whew...I feel oddly better.

Also, I have some slight flavor issues with MEGAMORPH, the ability (I will never be able to say that normally in draft). Dosen't it make more sense flavorfully to have the megamorph morphs be 3/3s? You know...like is a morph...but its mega?

I mean, we're in the future now right, I assume? Everything is bigger and better: the new m-m-m-MEGAMORPHS are improved versions of the old volvo pinto like regular morphs, out on their final drive before going to the trash yard?

Ninja Fixed ;)

I believe megamorph had a couple iterations, one of which was a 3/3 for 4 instead of a 2/2 for 3, but they decided it was better to keep the "what could it be??" aspect of morph (for constructed purposes, since KTK won't be limited with dragons) and that was that.

I'm pretty sure marang river skeleton has been dead a while...
marangriverskeleton.jpg

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think I'm with you on this, as far as Narset's applications in cube go. She seems at her best in sixty-card decks, where you can have the hit rate on her +1 ability approach 50%, but the same ability seems a little more dicey in forty-card decks. Chandra, the Firebrand is a good comparison, and no one was excited by her, despite being easy to cast and Fork generally being more powerful than rebound.

I tend to be fairly optimistic for new spoiled planeswalkers in general, but even though her card concept is really sweet, I'm not sure that Narset hits the mark for cube, as she takes more building around than is normally possible in draft.