Eldrazi Domain Cube

No, Nissa is much to strong according to her powerlevel. And she isn't any synergizing at all, she's just saying "i kill you with lands".

Some of your most recent Notes to Self don't appear to have made it into any of your versions of the Cube list. Most notably, Fist of Suns! Did you Ponder some of those noted cards and then decide to Despise them? Or did they mostly just get lost among your loss of interest in this Cube?

BTW, found my way here from your articles on Channel Fireball; thanks for those!

Here's my best guess at what one version of this cube would look like. I included some of the cards from the most recent post you Liked, but couldn't squeeze in Soul of Zendikar as every single thing that it could replace is significantly better than ol' Zendy.
http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/22494

If I were to make big changes to it, the first thing I would do is make green more interesting than "mostly ramp" - stuff that rewards you for having some big dumb creatures most likely.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hi bumbeh, thanks for the post. Truth be told I haven't been playing a lot of Magic these days, but you're right, I never took the effort to update this cube list. Ferocious is a great mechanic to add here, and works much better than the "5 or greater" mechanic from Alara that I could never get to work.

Your updates look pretty good, let me know if you ever get a chance to run the list.

Okay, I ran it today for the first draft. My opponent uh... my opponent only put 10 lands in his deck. And beat me silly in game 1 with Rakdos... Rakdos low cost guy. And the black assassin. He somehow managed to hit 3 lands on the table, too.

Game 2 he got mana screwed as is right and proper. That's when he revealed that he only had 10 lands and he just "kinda puts whatever lands in his deck he feels like".

Game 3 was a much better match when I told him that he should probably have 16 lands, and in a deck that's less agressive the norm is 17. But I won that one by the power of durdling into large objects.

I can't actually find my deck now.

Uh.

So I'm not really sure how useful this post is. But he was RB and I was GUrb, with a few abilities to count all my lands as plains, or have lands generate any color mana, for the purpose of maelstrom angel. But my lands only naturally produced Gurb.

See the Unwritten exclusively generated Briarhorns for me, never eldrazi nor even my maelstrom angel.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned a while back upthread looking for "death matters" cards. I've always had a fondness for these two:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

They're each a different half of Blood Artist! :)
Deathgreeter? I hardly know 'er.

Hissing Iguanar? I hardly know 'ar.

It seems like it would be pretty good when you're saccing eldrazi spawn.

well you scry, but dont archieve the clause for the trigger. It doesnt rly work that well for my taste to include it.

Jason:
As the new set is having a "sunbursty/domainy" theme i'm thinking about redesigning your cube.

Today i want to discuss on the Converge Cards in terms of including them in the eldrazi domain cube. Thus the most of the Converge Cards are in Simic Colors, i first want to talk about the other colors:
painfultruths.jpg
unifiedfront.jpg
radiantflamespromo.jpg

While Painful Truths is a very solid "draw 3, lose 3 life" most of the time, even an overcosted Night's Whisper in case of just having two colors might be pretty reasonable. The card is very flexible and playable in every deck containing 3+ colors and most of this cube's decks focus on having more than 2 colors in general. AUTOINCLUDE
I'm not a fan of Unified Front. Even if there was an allied theme over most of the colors in the Eldrazi Domain Cube, it just happens to profit on how many allies you could have cast before resolving the Front. I don't believe that refocussing the cube on an Ally theme is worthwhile just to play such a card. PASSMan i love Radiant Flames. It is a better to cast Anger of the Gods in an 3+ colored Cube. While you might not have two red available by turn 3, you might have 3 different colors very easily. I think this card's inclusion depends on how many sweepers you want (and on 3 cmc it might be too good) TESTING, but seems reasonable
Next i want to talk about the Green Cards.
woodlandwanderer.jpg
infusewiththeelements.jpg
tajurustalwart.jpg

Oh Baby. I sort of like all of these in terms of BFZ draft. But are they good enough for ED?
First off, the Wanderer is a very interesting finisher. If you have 4 colors available at turn 4 this thing is very huge and might be to big in terms of powerlevel. TESTING, but jeeeeeesus
The Stalwart might be the playable version of that. While it's the vanilla version with no paticular static abilities, it's a 3/4 for 3 which is quite playable, but maybe too underpowered. TESTING, but quite unexiting
Infuse with the Elements is a high costed combat trick, which might be okay, but i think we can do better than that with most of the cards from old sets. PASSAnd all the green cards work quite well with the proliferate subtheme. That's why Tajuru Stalwart might be nice to have in the first place.
prismarray.jpg
exertinfluence.jpg
brilliantspectrum.jpg
roilmagestrick.jpg

Now lets focus on the main color of Converge, which got the most cards in BFZ. As you know i love gr...blue cards! WHAT. Yes you see right. Blue has got the most converge cards. Not green. Quite strange.
What the hell is Prism Array of a card? It is a mana sink in the late game, that does just improve card selection and does not give you card advantage. As well, it's a pseudo removal for about 2-5 turns in terms of their fatties. The only thing this might fit in is the proliferate theme but when the proliferate theme wants five colored cards, why not pick much better cards than this? I guess there will be many kids crying to open this card PASSExert Influence is a bad control magic on a sorcery. I don't like that it first depends on having x colors available and also depends on your opponent not having a creature with 6+ power (or not more power than you have colors in your deck though). While the card is really unexiting it is a 2for1 and sort of a win condition. Maybe it is perfectly fitting into an multicolor control archtype, but i'm sceptical bout that. TESTING, but quite unexiting
Brilliant Spectrum reminds me of Bitter Revelation, but having 3 or 4 colors available is a huge difference. While having a draw 3, discard 2 effect is quite ok, a draw 4 discard 2 is bonkers. With 3 colors available i prefer myself a Bitter Revelation, but with 4 colors the Spectrum is by far superior. I like it personally, though Painful Truths is a better card. TESTING, quite excited, might be overcostedRoilmage's Trick is a Fog + Draw a card. Unexticing. PASS

I think radiant depends on what you want out of the format since it by definition of the rules caps out at 3. As far as I know it caps out at 3 since you can't spend mana when it's done and payed.

I think radiant depends on what you want out of the format since it by definition of the rules caps out at 3. As far as I know it caps out at 3 since you can't spend mana when it's done and payed.

since there's many eldrazi ramp, i don't like to have too many sweepers. And aggro might have a hard time against a 3 dmg sweeper.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
prismarray.jpg
exertinfluence.jpg
brilliantspectrum.jpg
roilmagestrick.jpg

Now lets focus on the main color of Converge, which got the most cards in BFZ. As you know i love gr...blue cards! WHAT. Yes you see right. Blue has got the most converge cards. Not green. Quite strange.
What the hell is Prism Array of a card? It is a mana sink in the late game, that does just improve card selection and does not give you card advantage. As well, it's a pseudo removal for about 2-5 turns in terms of their fatties. The only thing this might fit in is the proliferate theme but when the proliferate theme wants five colored cards, why not pick much better cards than this? I guess there will be many kids crying to open this card PASSExert Influence is a bad control magic on a sorcery. I don't like that it first depends on having x colors available and also depends on your opponent not having a creature with 6+ power (or not more power than you have colors in your deck though). While the card is really unexiting it is a 2for1 and sort of a win condition. Maybe it is perfectly fitting into an multicolor control archtype, but i'm sceptical bout that. TESTING, but quite unexiting
Brilliant Spectrum reminds me of Bitter Revelation, but having 3 or 4 colors available is a huge difference. While having a draw 3, discard 2 effect is quite ok, a draw 4 discard 2 is bonkers. With 3 colors available i prefer myself a Bitter Revelation, but with 4 colors the Spectrum is by far superior. I like it personally, though Painful Truths is a better card. TESTING, quite excited, might be overcostedRoilmage's Trick is a Fog + Draw a card. Unexticing. PASS

My main problem with Brilliant Spectrum is the existence of this card:

Also, Spectrum felt like quite a poor card if I cast it for only X = 3.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I especially like curse of chains being a noncreature way to trigger the blades cycle. Is there more of that, or is it kinda the only hybrid noncreature card thats good?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't know. Do you have any suggestions?

Right, it's hard to database search for hybrid cards, you kinda have to go through each color pair.

Well, to my knowledge there aren't any hybrid mana artifacts (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so here's what I saw from looking at various color combinations enchantments:

There's also the Runes of the Deus 10 card cycle, but I think you knew about that, and it doesn't actually help keep our creatures on, since they go on targets that your opponent wants to remove anyways.

There's obviously problems with a few of these, since Riot Spike and Torpor Dust are preeeeeeety low power, but I think Rise of the Hobgoblins, Crystallization, Trace of Abundance and Gift of Orzhova might work, although Trace might work best for keeping the blades on, it's not really a card an aggro deck usually wants.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Crystallization is the best option here. I actually already run gift of orzhova, and hobgoblins doesn't feel like where this cube wants to be.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
540 adaptation:
I need to revisit the sacrifice theme in this cube.
Once upon a time there was some populate nonsense, I think if we bring in Eldrazi Horror cards it can work better. One of the problems before was not wanting too many board stalls, but I think we can work around it here.
In general, keep the proportions pretty similar, with the exception of: more lands. But, I'm going to stick to just double fetch. Add slow fetches, evolving wilds and things to the main cube, as well as a cycle of dual-colored manlands, checklands, some fun utility lands.
Revisit the Elemental subtheme.
Look at what Emerge cards are out there.

With 540 and a cube for the general population, I want a few more cards people can go deep on. Suggestions welcome.