Staff member
I have room for 5 of these 6:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Leaning towards one of Ulvenwald Bear, Matca Rioters and Renegade Krasis. All of them fit my themes pretty well.

One thing I am worried about is creating too much demand for death triggers, with the ramp deck not being able to get their spawn token cards. Really not sure here.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx

Reasonable body on its own: check
Multicolor for the ____blade cycle: check
Does absurd things with Chord of Calling, Genesis Wave, Slime Molding, Green Sun's Zenith, Profane Command, Chimeric Mass and Devil's Play: check

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Stingscourger! :D
Also, Kreatur is awesome.
Surely the best "luck" you can get is a printer, right?
Also RE: 5/6, cut Fierce Empath IMO. He seems the least helpful to a theme, and tutors are notoriously bad in limited

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've never been a fan of the "Demonic to go find my firstpick" gameplan :p
Is that a really integral part to the domain deck? It seems like you'd be able to play a game fine without it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the role it plays. Roadblock, then grabs a finisher or a bigger finisher (Eldrazi). Seems like a fun card that rampy decks really want. You can even rebuy a dead Eldrazi with it, since they shuffle back in.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Eh, fair enough. My second choice is probably Sage, but I think that might be coalition relic talking. It can be pretty swingy though

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Eh, fair enough. My second choice is probably Sage, but I think that might be coalition relic talking. It can be pretty swingy though

Sage is actually the newest one coming in. Maybe it's just a feeling, but my instinct says that ramp is too unwieldy and slow at the moment. If I make a set about ramp, I really don't want it to be a Tier 2 strategy. I've had a gut feeling that I don't actually want to play ramp in this set if my goal is to win. Sage is an effort to turn that around a bit. Besides, there's a lot of stuff in this set that kills 1-toughness creatures.

I suppose I won't know until I play it though. In my experience my instincts on archetype strength for my own cube has been pretty on the mark, but that may be a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy. Instincts may also be pretty useless for such a new design too.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
True. My thought was more do you want it in even if it's on theme? While it does have downsides to offset that, It's a mana stronger than coalition relic. I'm not sure you want something that swingy, sorta "Oh, I don't have a kill spell RIGHT NOW, guess I better be ready for Titan"

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. There is the question of whether splashiness is a good thing. I certainly wouldn't want a million of these effects, but in small doses I can see it being fun and exciting. It's also one of those P1P1 cards that will make even the most ardent aggro player say "today we're ramping!". I'll keep an eye on it though.

Regarding demand for morbid making spawn generators high picks and inaccessible to ramp: upping the # of Growth Spasms gives the ramp decks a spawn generator that aggro/midrange won't want. There's also always Brood Birthing if you want a consistent wheel for the all in spawn deck.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding demand for morbid making spawn generators high picks and inaccessible to ramp: upping the # of Growth Spasms gives the ramp decks a spawn generator that aggro/midrange won't want. There's also always Brood Birthing if you want a consistent wheel for the all in spawn deck.
Right now I'm at:
3 Nest Invader
2 Growth Spasm
1 Awakening Zone
2 Kozilek's Predator
1 Spawning Breath
2 Emrakul's Hatcher
1 Rapacious One
1 Skittering Invasion
2 Pawn of Ulamog
1 Corpsehatch
0 Brood Birthing

I've also played quite a few midrange Growth Spasms in my main cube. The last time I played it the spawn token turned into a 5/5 dragon more often than not.

EDIT: I will give Brood Birthing a try though. I currently have a slot allocated to Manamorphose that isn't really doing anything.

Birthing is definitely worse than Breath, but that's the point, it will go around late to the ramp drafter, whereas removal spells like Breath will be snatched up by anyone. Unfortunately, the limited number of spawn generators around means the options aren't that flexible - maybe something like Ashnod's Altar would let the ramp deck get more return out of the spawn tokens that they do pick up?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Birthing is definitely worse than Breath, but that's the point, it will go around late to the ramp drafter, whereas removal spells like Breath will be snatched up by anyone. Unfortunately, the limited number of spawn generators around means the options aren't that flexible - maybe something like Ashnod's Altar would let the ramp deck get more return out of the spawn tokens that they do pick up?

Ooh, good suggestion!
Image.ashx

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I get that the point of Brood Birthing is that it's bad enough that it'll likely wheel to the ramp player that wants it. It's just that, well, you didn't really feel good about playing it even in Rise of Eldrazi, so in Jason's presumably higher-power format, I doubt it'll make the cut on any given day.

But, wow, Ashnod's Altar. That is a card!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The Eldrazi Spawn theme looks awesome. If I build a C/Ube or something similar, I'll definitely give it a try.

I imagine the extra 1/2 a card counts for nothing because it isn't a 'full' card.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Color(less) me excited.

I really like Altar, Tower, and Temple. Temple might be better in the the utility land draft though, due to the narrowness. Skittering invasion doesn't get me excited, but I can't think of a reason to not try it. All is Dust is just really powerful and I say go for it, but keep under watch.

Somberwald Sage is a tad too swingy for my tastes. Even with the drawbacks (fragility, limited to creatures), +3 mana in this cube is likely undercosted at 3 mana, if there is no other requirement.