General Eldrazi Domain CubeTutor decks

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
You should run Unearth! It's so cool to use an etb creature as fodder for sacrificing, and then soooo cool to unearth it.

Also, cut Seeker of the Way for Kor Skyfisher (unless you have particular plans for Seeker?)

Things I could see cutting: Primal Command, Khalni Heart Expedition (I kinda like it, but it's weak.), Growing Ranks (Mostly populating spawn tokens, it seems. Is that enough? Or are there enough other tokens?) Zhur-Taa Ancient, Nivmagus Elemental.

Also, only one Naya Hushblade? I know it's a sad nonbo with Civic Saber, and maybe the burning-tree emissarys make up for it. but the blades are so awesome, especially together.

edit: and add some more pods.

But but, I <3 Seeker! It's such a fun card! Spells matters is awesome in white (and any other color)!

I agree with cutting seeker. Speaking of spells, roilmage's trick and brilliant spectrum both seem sketch. They were pretty garbo in the draft format. I realize they encourage domain, but I haven't been very drawn to blue (and white) in a lot of these drafts, so maybe something more powerful should slot in there?

Edit: And on the subject of domain, I feel like it has been surprisingly difficult to accrue large number of lands. I guess the cube tutor bots are pretty aggressive about taking them?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I agree with cutting seeker. Speaking of spells, roilmage's trick and brilliant spectrum both seem sketch. They were pretty garbo in the draft format. I realize they encourage domain, but I haven't been very drawn to blue (and white) in a lot of these drafts, so maybe something more powerful should slot in there?

Edit: And on the subject of domain, I feel like it has been surprisingly difficult to accrue large number of lands. I guess the cube tutor bots are pretty aggressive about taking them?

I'd like brilliant spectrum more if there were some ways to take advantage of discard.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You should run Unearth! It's so cool to use an etb creature as fodder for sacrificing, and then soooo cool to unearth it.

Also, cut Seeker of the Way for Kor Skyfisher (unless you have particular plans for Seeker?)

Things I could see cutting: Primal Command, Khalni Heart Expedition (I kinda like it, but it's weak.), Growing Ranks (Mostly populating spawn tokens, it seems. Is that enough? Or are there enough other tokens?) Zhur-Taa Ancient, Nivmagus Elemental.

Also, only one Naya Hushblade? I know it's a sad nonbo with Civic Saber, and maybe the burning-tree emissarys make up for it. but the blades are so awesome, especially together.

edit: and add some more pods.

Thanks for the feedback James.

Re: Seeker of the Way, I kind of wanted just a generic type of guy that could go in aggro or control. Too many of the pics in this cube are so fragmented, archetype specific, and Skyfisher feels like another one that will just not end up in control's hands.

There are other tokens or Growing Ranks. But I'll re-evaluate the card, maybe it's miserable to play with.

Zhur-Taa is great! Nivmagus probably needs to go though?
Could see Unearth. Any specific cards you think are sweet with it?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, I think the lands thing is just a CubeTutor thing. I'm running more than 70 land-based fixers.

Roilmage's Trick was kind of an all-star in my sealed deck, but I didn't play a lot of draft in that format. Suggested replacements?

Yeah, I think the lands thing is just a CubeTutor thing. I'm running more than 70 land-based fixers.

Roilmage's Trick was kind of an all-star in my sealed deck, but I didn't play a lot of draft in that format. Suggested replacements?

I'm not sure what kind of deck you wanted trick to slot into (as far as midrange, control, or tempo). But my gut says some kind of noncreature spell that fits into traditional control shells.

RE: ashnod's altar. It's certainly an indicator that sacrifice matters, but with so many spawn tokens floating around, it seems less exciting. That said, it does seem like one of the most feasible ways to hard cast the big eldrazi, so maybe it should stay? Its hard for me to say. I don't like cards like this, but I feel like a lot of people do.

5c control - japahn's draft of EldraziDomain540 on 27/08/2016 from CubeTutor.com

5-color control. Put 7 castle AIs, got more land I needed for 5c. This deck is goodstuff/control, it's probably super unstable and was pretty much a Grixis control that went wrong.

BG Sacrifice - japahn's draft of EldraziDomain540 on 27/08/2016 from CubeTutor.com

The sacrifice deck looks sweet, a lot of toys, but seems a bit piled up on the 3 mana slot - the awkward slot. I suggest swapping out some 3 mana sacrifice cards and add a few 2 mana ones. Sacrifice is pretty deep though, so you can probably remove some of the poison, and let the overall density go down.

Black Gruulblade - japahn's draft of EldraziDomain540 on 27/08/2016 from CubeTutor.com

I want to play this deck so bad. All lands can CITP untapped. 7 black sources, 9 red, 9 green ones, crammed in 16 lands. 10 multicolored permanents to turn blades on. The Alara blade deck is really, really sweet.

Overall, I still feel the power band is wide. If you look at the sideboards of the first two decks I drafted, you'll see cards that were meant for that archetype but cannot take the place of a Shriekmaw (which is in all decks). I felt much better about the third deck, I actually wanted to play some of the cards in the SB. As long as there is a lot of high quality filler, stuff like Wakedancer, Hunger of the Howlpack, Blast of Genius and Maelstrom Nexus are unplayable. I'm not saying "go for a totally flat power level", I understand that the rush of opening a powerful card and first picking it, or the minigame of passing signals requires variance. The cards that are good (say, should always be played in a deck with color) should be fewer in number, about 1 in 10, while right now it's about 1 in 5.

More random thoughts:

I've also missed more Eldrazi so the super ramp deck pays off. Might need to go deeper, or double up on some.

Why is there a single Naya Hushblade while there are 2 of all the others?

If UG is the pair to base domain on, you could run Skyrider Elf.

Some 3 mana blue suggestions to fill the hole there:

Cards I see as unplayable:

Other includes that I don't understand how fit in the great scheme of things:

For Rosheen Meanderer:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I had Collective Restraint in the original paper list, but it created miserable, miserable games.

Yeah, that's why I called it obnoxious as hell :) Collapsing Borders is a fun build-around-me card though! You could also look into more sunburst cards. The cheaper ones are super funny with Fist of the Suns :) Pentad Prism is maybe worth doubling up on? Baton of Courage is a pretty decent combat trick, Clearwater Goblet is a powerful lifegain tool, Engineered Explosives we all know, Infused Arrows is decent enough, Opaline Bracers hits like a truck, Suntouched Myr is an early drop for the deck, and Skyreach Manta is a fat finisher. The beauty of sunburst is that it overlaps wonderfully with the proliferate subtheme as well :)