General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok. I'm looking for another triland in my cube! One that, unlike the only printed reasonable option, enters the battlefield untapped. Help me out here. It has to be balanced, playable, and groggable. If you have an even better idea, please tell me!

Crystal Glade.1.pngCrystal Glade.2.pngCrystal Glade.3.png

Edit: The first one is based on the fact that I run 5 guilds, and each combination of two overlapping guilds forms a supported three-color combination. So, in this case, I run Selesnya and Simic, which have green in common.

its not enough drawback and revealing the hand is very risky design, be very very careful with that space imo. it takes surprise / bluffing out of the game and you don't want to do that unless the gameplay benefit is worth the gameplay cost

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The first is better than a basic forest, except it can't be fetched (and there are fetches in my cube), so it's very close to being unbalanced for a normal set. In cube I think it might actually be okay though. It only taps for one color on turn one though.
The second is perfect for aggressive decks, but hurts from turn 5 onward (on turn 4 you tap it for mana before you make your fourth land drop, though that might not be obvious to newer players, which is a strike against it).
I have to agree with anotak on the third. So that's out.

I'm inclined to go with the first one. It also promotes splashing the third color, because you are going to generate it anyway, so thats fun. I still feel there has to be something better that I haven't come up with yet.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Cards that are almost strictly better than basics are a little dangerous, though, no? Especially ones that can generate three (!!) colours of mana.

I like the first design the best, but think it should have some sort of cost associated with it, moreso than just not being a basic land type. Maybe the first ability should cost you one life, to encourage people to only draft and run it if they're actually planning on splashing?

im not sure if being strictly better than a basic is entirely possible because to draft it you are sacrificing picking a nonland card

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
im not sure if being strictly better than a basic is entirely possible because to draft it you are sacrificing picking a nonland card
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. But Eric has a point. The question then is, when creating custom cards, do you want cards that would be balanced in constructed formats, or do you design cards specifically for your cube while disregarding their potential for constructed. After all, you're not going to play constructed with the cards.

It's a difficult question really, because keeping things honest for multiple formats means you are more bound to an acceptable power level. There's no doubt in my mind that the first card I designed would never be printed in real life since it's a straight upgrade from a basic Forest. It might not be game-breaking in cube, but it is undeniably better than a normal Magic card ought to be. Tacking on a life loss however feels like such an easy out. There must be a more elegant or original solution to my conundrum.

Man. This nut is harder to crack than I thought.

i just go in and design for my target audience, we have that advantage so why not use it? the only issue is not fucking w your players too much

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Maybe it comes into play tapped, unless you fulfill a certain criteria? e.g. revealing a white or blue card from your hand?

Sure, but I assume the other non-basic lands that Onder is working with come out of the regular pool of Magic cards, none of which are strictly better than a basic land (save the original alpha duals). Unless he's planning on replacing most of them with custom designs, a card strictly better than a basic would probably be a fair bit better than everything else. It's a question of balance as much as anything, even if we're just comparing lands against other lands.

I think the first one is fine the way it is. It's definitely a lower pick than Tropical Island unless you already know you're in those three colors for certain.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I actually run a cycle of custom lands. I added basic land types to Seachrome Coast and made one of those for each guild. I don't run the original duals, the other duals are the fetches from Zendikar/Khans, the scry lands from Theros and the shock lands from Ravnica. Oh, and the triland from Alara/Khans. So, there's nothing there that's strictly better than a basic land at the moment.

CML

Contributor
its not enough drawback and revealing the hand is very risky design, be very very careful with that space imo. it takes surprise / bluffing out of the game and you don't want to do that unless the gameplay benefit is worth the gameplay cost

oh i dunno it can really make things worse on people. the benefit they derive from the extra information is sometimes outweighed by not knowing what to do with it (or having the guy who revealed his hand mani-pulate them)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Cards that are almost strictly better than basics are a little dangerous, though, no? Especially ones that can generate three (!!) colours of mana.

I like the first design the best, but think it should have some sort of cost associated with it, moreso than just not being a basic land type. Maybe the first ability should cost you one life, to encourage people to only draft and run it if they're actually planning on splashing?

Pay 1 life?

Crystal Glade enters the battlefield with two charge counters on it.
{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
{G}, {T}, Remove a charge counter from Crystal Glade: Add {W}{U} to your mana pool.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I like it! As long as people don't mind the fiddly-ness of Vivid-like counters on their lands. I'd kind of be inclined to make the first ability use charge counters, though, to make it not strictly better than basic Forest. I think you want the land to encourage splashing, and have the main colour be the fallback ability - though I know this is the opposite of how Vivids work.