General Fight Club

I hate Druid. It's very unclear to anyone inexperienced with the game that the card is bonkers. I also don't want my yard decks dumping most of their decks in a couple turns, anyways. Even if you're looking for that higher powered option of Druid, I think a lot of people will go ahead and kill it before it activates if they're aware they're up against the hyper aggressive dredge deck I'm imagining.

Wayfinder does what I want very effectively, fairly, and immediately on ETB.

I also like Wayfinder as it's good at finding particular lands, which Hermit Druid can't do at all outside of Loam or something.

Wayfinder all the way for me too. Self-mill is more stable of an archetype when it's spread out in small, manageable chunks across a good portion of the deck. There's little to no feast-or-famine this way and it's a lot more consistent to draft. Wayfinder is a perfect example of this sort of effect, and finding any land really pushes it's usefulness.

If/when I get around to actually editing my cube again, self mill is actually an effect I could use more of in green myself.

I think I prefer the aggressive bent of Judith and only triggering on your own creatures dying. Whenever any player sacrifices any permanent is a little too broad to feel like a unique payoff. Mayhem Devil is good when your opponent is playing a deck running lots of Chromatic Stars and Welder synergies, even if you don't have an aristocrats theme yourself. Of course, this is a gold slot, so maybe you can justify running the more flexible design, but Mayhem Devil just seems overwhelming and hard to remember all your opponent's triggers.

I hate Druid. It's very unclear to anyone inexperienced with the game that the card is bonkers. I also don't want my yard decks dumping most of their decks in a couple turns, anyways. Even if you're looking for that higher powered option of Druid, I think a lot of people will go ahead and kill it before it activates if they're aware they're up against the hyper aggressive dredge deck I'm imagining.

Wayfinder does what I want very effectively, fairly, and immediately on ETB.
I was leaning towards Druid for historical reasons but your point about inexperienced players really gave me pause. I'm already pushing quite above what my group will handle and I really doubt they'll see how broken Druid's self-mill is.

vs

Best recent Aristocrats payoff, go!
Judith is just a more fun, broader card. It helps with tokens, which Aristocrats will run and allows you to strike for a couple bits of damage before sacrificing the creatures.

I also find the symmetry of Devil annoying because it's easy to forget. I've ruined more than a game by cracking a fetchland while they had it on the table and seeing how my planeswalker got killed.

I definitely prefer mayhem devil of the two. Devil is just more interesting to me whereas Judith is very tidy and efficient. If you want the cleanest and most powerful go with Judith, but Devil can bridge a few themes like aristocrats, artifact, lands...not just creature strategies....it’s a mild punisher effect for your opponent, warping gameplay in an atypical way. I like running makeshift munitions over goblin bombardment with mayhem devil along with a cast of trinkets, spellbombs, capsules.....it adds some extra flavor to cards like pirate's pillage for instance....or maybe you one shot them with a greater gargadon, god-eternal bontu or reprocess

It slots nicely into a Stax deck as well. I just appreciate the pressure it puts on your opponent’s play because my cube runs a lot of cards that trigger it.

I prefer Judith. More relevant creature type, less annoying to keep track of triggers since it's only your own, doesn't require an explicit sacrifice action to trigger (just works through normal creature death) and I've found that anthems on bodies are incredibly underrated over the years. Taking a turn off to play an anthem itself is a middling play, but playing one proactively that is attached to a creature is usually really good from my experience. Especially considering that she'd be paired with cards in B/R that would all just LOVE an extra point of damage to apply even more pressure in the early game. It's downright insane paired alongside cards like Bloodsoaked Champion or Gravecrawler where you can have them attacking for 3, represent a virtual 4 damage upon death, then potentially recur and run it back. I think the card is just excellent all around.

You'll be able to make a full on sacrifice oriented deck work more effectively with the Devil (think Cat Oven in Standard), but I just like the broader applications for Judith across multiple archetypes in Cube. She's been an All-Star for me from day one.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
You see a LOT of cards that can incidentally create Mayhem Devil triggers once you're keeping an eye out for them. Ideally I'd run both as they play out quite differently even in the decks that happily run both and many decks would only want one - Judith is an all-star in a no-frills BR Aggro deck while Mayhem Devil can be a combo tool in a less aggressive deck that can't make great use of Judith's anthem but would gladly go off with Greater Gargadon

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm running Judy, Dreadbore, Kcommand, and a souped up Blazing Hellhound right now, it just feels weird

I don't know if this is one of those "colors don't need to be exactly the same size it does't matter" compulsions or "Make sure your decks have the right tools" arguments where it does

Chris Taylor

Contributor
do it and if anyone complains, sacrifice them to goblin bombardment

See there's the problem, I run blood magic thesedays :p
LQZHEF4.jpg

vs

I like the modal nature of Find//Finality, but the 5 for 1 blowout potential of casualties also makes for a nice ramp incentive for rock decks.

F//F is more consistent and flexible. CoW is more exciting. I play both in The Black Cube and I like both, but F//F makes more decks.
_____

Assuming your players are going to actually be casting the Eldrazi Titans rather fairly, am I right in thinking that Emrakul 2 is the strongest due to the potential cost reduction? Scary as hell at 8 or less, I'd think. Encourages certain deck building, which is cool, though.

Hardcasting Eldrazi:
AA Tier

A Tier

B Tier

Any thoughts on the baddest (technically genderless) boys in MtG? Is Emrkaul 2 stronger by enough that an environment with these in it would be wary of it?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
If you're hardcasting them I think it's roughly:

Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Emrakul, the Promised End
gap
Kozilek, the Great Distortion
gap
the others

Emrakul TPE is by far the most interesting though IMO and actually gives you interesting drafting, deckbuilding etc decisions beyond making as much mana as you can ASAP

vs

I like the modal nature of Find//Finality, but the 5 for 1 blowout potential of casualties also makes for a nice ramp incentive for rock decks.

I think F/F has more play to it. It is exciting and gives you more options, while casualities will just be used to destroy as many things as possible. Kinda boring for a gold slot imo.