General Fight Club

vs vs vs

The blue three drop bounce on ETB slot is hotly contested these days. I'm on Exclusion Mage at the moment for Riptide Laboratory synergy and ease of cost, but the fact it can't bounce your own things does bug me a little. Barrin might be better but his text box is a little busy, I can't see that second ability coming up other than when he bounces something himself. I guess Kor Skyfisher technically works?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
A list of cards I earmarked for their interaction with Barrin:

1 Fieldmist Borderpost
1 Sidisi's Faithful
1 Fae of Wishes
1 Waterfront Bouncer
1 Kor Skyfisher
1 Stonecloaker
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Riftwing Cloudskate
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
1 Kogla, the Titan Ape
1 Brightling
1 Shepherd of the Flock
1 Barrin, Tolarian Archmage
1 Sakashima's Student
1 Fallen Shinobi
1 Trade Routes
1 Words of Wind
1 Snap
1 Gush
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Greenbelt Rampager
1 Zurgo Bellstriker
1 Glint Hawk

Chris Taylor

Contributor
vs vs vs

The blue three drop bounce on ETB slot is hotly contested these days. I'm on Exclusion Mage at the moment for [card]Riptide Laboratory[/card] synergy and ease of cost, but the fact it can't bounce your own things does bug me a little. Barrin might be better but his text box is a little busy, I can't see that second ability coming up other than when he bounces something himself. I guess [card]Kor Skyfisher[/card] technically works?

Barrin also does bounce planeswalkers

Sounds like there's enough that I hadn't thought about to give him a try. I don't run bouncelands, but Crystal Shard/Karakas definitely make him more appealing.

Sounds like there's enough that I hadn't thought about to give him a try. I don't run bouncelands, but Crystal Shard/Karakas definitely make him more appealing.

I mean, if you're already running Riptide Lab, then Barrin goes off hard with any other wizard too.

I think Barrin is pretty good just as a Man o War. Back when I used to run that, it would fuck aggro up pretty bad. Bounces their 2 and trades with their 1. I'd run Barrin myself, but the tempo of bouncing their most expensive threat is so often backbreaking. For someone at a higher power level, I think he's a great addition.

I mean, if you're already running Riptide Lab, then Barrin goes off hard with any other wizard too.
Bounce him, replay him, bounce their best guy, draw a card. Doesn't even need a buddy.

I very well may have missed this fight somewhere
vs vs BOTH
Seems like Maniac's downside is that you can just fucking die.
But then I wonder if Oracle makes it a little too easy.
I don't think I want both, but maybe I do?

I both forgot about him and can't afford UUU. :) He's actually really sweet. Maybe a Sunken Ruins can help me out...

I'm really nervous that Lab Man will get bolted and someone will lose even though they achieved their goal. Oracle avoids that completely and has more use outside the "I win" condition. Jace could also get instant speed removed, but he doesn't always die to practically every red or black instant card. He just dies to some. He also lets you win from more than 0 cards out, depending how long he's around. He's also pretty good in almost any UB build.

I can envision Oracle + Jace, as they have the exciting "I win" condition but also do other things. Is Lab Man a bit outdated? Or is it too easy when we can win from several cards out?

I am no expert on this subject of winning from 0 cards in library but I do believe in order for it to be succesful you need redundancy. Maybe run all 3 cards.

Brainstorming ideas to solve that ‘Bolt Lab Man’ problem

Dispel and Force of Will are also really good if you run any other combo strategies like Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker etc.

Cards like the following can help with the Cryptic Command color requirement for Jace

Terrarion is also excellent in many artifact builds. Especially if you can bring it back from the graveyard again and again. Al cubes should run 1+ Unexpected Potential.

I very well may have missed this fight somewhere
vs vs BOTH
Seems like Maniac's downside is that you can just fucking die.
But then I wonder if Oracle makes it a little too easy.
I don't think I want both, but maybe I do?

Oracle is much more versatile. The only time I really prefer Lab man is if the self mill deck is straight up combo and you need the static effect admidst a bunch of wheel effects etc. Being a baseline omenspeaker is very handy, and the decks that want this effect tend to prefer the defensive body. Good for blinking and reanimating. The fact that you don’t have to be out of cards to win with Oracle is a bonus.

I like running two of this effect. I run oracle and jace right now, but like the idea of running both creatures for ease of recursion. We ran only one of this effect when we only had the one.

If you support this style of deck, I’d also recommend nexus of fate, as it can provide an alternative win-con In some situations or save you from milling out with a discard outlet. It just helps with the timing a lot in my opinion.

And mesmeric orb for straight gas

Awesome, I was thinking Oracle and Jace. I won't be spending $30 to loop Nexus of Fate, but I'll be including a couple of anti suicide measures.

Thanks.

Draw-out-win will be frequently paired with Doomsday, which is a perfect card for The Black Cube at BBB.

Elixir supports life gain, long game control, and gets Trinket Maged. Beacon is a messed up Debtors' Knell when it's your last card. I once nearly drew a game with BSZ as my last card, but I only had 13 real lands in the deck due to fetches and I couldn't lock out Villain's 12/12 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. RSZ has relevant exile text and can go to the face a few times if needed. Nexus is probably better as it just says "draw the game" for this, but I'm not sure I want it just yet.

It's all pretty soft to countermagic, but I've been looking into Doomsday quite a bit and I really like it. I probably won't add the Sunken Ruins because I actually don't want to see Doomsday Jace be super fast. I want more of a combo control.

I also added Grenzo, Dungeon Warden.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Thassa's Oracle plays out far far better than Maniac in my experience. Having to draw a card isn't trivial and neither is keeping your 2/2 around in a deck that probably doesn't have many juicy removal targets