General Fight Club

Chris Taylor

Contributor
@Erik Twice (oh wait, we have an Erik here? Huh.)

The reason why those shirtless dudes don't come off as being sexualized comes down to a difference in social expectations for men and women in Western cultures. Long story short: the Bog Standard Male Power Fantasy includes being sexy, because, hey, having those chiseled abs implies that you're strong as fuck, and that confident swagger is, well, a confident swagger.

And, honestly, out of that line-up? Oko's the only one who's posed in a "hey, look at how hot I am" kinda way. That's an "I'm on the cover of a romance novel, ladies" pose right there. Which is actually kinda creepy, given how much of an abusive fuck the dude is.

As for this being a "boobs" or "nudity" thing. I doubt someone is going to look at these cards and go "those girls are totally being sexualized":

I vote Mox Ruby, because Red is better than Black. Fight me, Brad.
As much as I hate to keep this debate going, I think this comic puts it rather well:
1632505768640.png

Reddit bros incorrectly checking artist sources is not what's happening here. Even though female artists can and should be critiqued for making objectifying art without underlying purpose, just not with the same lens of critique. I didn't even need to think about that, because I know there are no women involved in this art. A male's decisions did go into the composition of this piece.
The point is that, were the artist a woman, you would have found Captain of the Watch every bit as lipstick-wearing and her armour every bit as inappropiate. Your critique is not of a male artist but of the way a woman was drawn.

The reason why those shirtless dudes don't come off as being sexualized comes down to a difference in social expectations for men and women in Western cultures. Long story short: the Bog Standard Male Power Fantasy includes being sexy, because, hey, having those chiseled abs implies that you're strong as fuck, and that confident swagger is, well, a confident swagger.
That's not the issue. The issue is that it's only women's bodies which are policed and told to be covered up. All those men with Chonky Abs who walk around in loincloth don't see any critique, but the woman in armour does. Really, we go to absurd lenghts to justify why these hunks with massive biceps and pecs the size of a frying pan aren't sexualized. And yet, the moment a woman is shown we use even the smallest details to explain why she's over the line.

We may defend this treatment by appealing to sexual fantasies, historical accuracy or a fear of castration but, in the end, it just ends up being the same old bullshit. Women are covered up when men aren't, women are seen as inappropiate or morally damaging for being sexual or having femenine features and we frame female sexuality in terms of male desire. They are the same sexist tropes with a new coat of paint and I find them incredibly damaging.

As much as I hate to keep this debate going, I think this comic puts it rather well:
Eh, to me it's a tired comic where the author is so desperate to beat an imaginary strawman that he paints himself as a woman and pontificates about what they "really find attractive".

The point is that, were the artist a woman, you would have found Captain of the Watch every bit as lipstick-wearing and her armour every bit as inappropiate.
Sure, but it isn't. You're misrepresenting the situation. This is a strawman argument.
That's not the issue. The issue is that it's only women's bodies which are policed and told to be covered up.
Maybe that's your issue, but what Mapi said was totally valid. You're, again, misrepresenting and redirecting the argument to something you want to talk about. Also known as a strawman.
Really, we go to absurd lenghts to justify why these hunks with massive biceps and pecs the size of a frying pan aren't sexualized. And yet, the moment a woman is shown we use even the smallest details to explain why she's over the line.
The commentary was on the absurd impracticality of the extruding breast popouts and the anachronistic unlikelihood of the makeup styling. Yet again, it seems you're arguing against something that isn't there. Strawman.
Women are covered up when men aren't, women are seen as inappropiate or morally damaging
Did I miss someone calling her morally damaged or is this another strawman argument? Genuinely curious if I overlooked that. It's gotten very circular with you guys and I had to skim some of it for sanity's sake.
Eh, to me it's a tired comic where the author is so desperate to beat an imaginary strawman that he paints himself as a woman and pontificates about what they "really find attractive".
Strawman? Huh.

I'm not going to reply to anything you reply, because I can already envision it misrepresenting what I've said and/or being terribly circular. All I've posted are facts in response to your opinions, so there really isn't a reply to be had, anyways. You may want to consider what your real concern is, because, based on your responses, it isn't what's happening here, as you didn't directly address what anyone has said.

For what it's worth, I agree with the merit of a lot of what you said, it simply didn't apply as responses to what those people had said. That's why I'm kind of wondering if you're arguing these other conversations as a part of something else. No hard feelings, just wanted to point this out.

If you support cascade in your cube Mox Tantalite might be worth a shot. But personally I’d like to cascade into a treat not a mana producer…

The point is that, were the artist a woman, you would have found Captain of the Watch every bit as lipstick-wearing and her armour every bit as inappropiate. Your critique is not of a male artist but of the way a woman was drawn.

That's not the issue. The issue is that it's only women's bodies which are policed and told to be covered up. All those men with Chonky Abs who walk around in loincloth don't see any critique, but the woman in armour does. Really, we go to absurd lenghts to justify why these hunks with massive biceps and pecs the size of a frying pan aren't sexualized. And yet, the moment a woman is shown we use even the smallest details to explain why she's over the line.

We may defend this treatment by appealing to sexual fantasies, historical accuracy or a fear of castration but, in the end, it just ends up being the same old bullshit. Women are covered up when men aren't, women are seen as inappropiate or morally damaging for being sexual or having femenine features and we frame female sexuality in terms of male desire. They are the same sexist tropes with a new coat of paint and I find them incredibly damaging.

Is the root of the problem not that males and females are treated differently in our society? For example if a male has a lot of lovers it is percieved as great but if a female has a lot of lovers it is perceived as something bad.

Two of each fetchland and one ABUR dual land vs one fetchland and two duals.
In general the higher fetch count will equal a higher color consistency overall. If that's what you want, then go for that. I do one fetch one dual and a bunch of other lands because I like variability and people to use nonland tools for color management.

another note, if you want to do a fetch-dual based manabase, it’s best to be more or less equal on fetches and duals but with just a slight amount more duals. so like… 20 fetch 20 dual or 40 fetch 50 dual or… etc

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well okay there's certainly mental load in figuring out the correct balance of fetches and fetchables

Also if you're going with actual printed cards like Bayou and Arid Mesa rather than I think evolving wilds and the custom mountain plains that Mr Smithy currently runs, how big is this land box?

I run 40 swamps for my cube intended to draft with 8 people, how many Underground Seas do I need to print out?