General Fight Club

I'll vouch for Kess as well. What I enjoy is that four 4 mana you get a sizeable evasive threat that generates card advantage. However, if you answer it quickly you can come back in the game, whereas Lier is much more all or nothing.

However, Kess is also obviously 3 colors. For a card advantage spells matter payoff in Blue, I like

It gives you both card advantage and a big explosive turn. I find that maneuvering to make the most of that turn to be a lot of fun. The downside is that it is slow and has no board presence.

I can only repeat once again how important it is in my opinion that within an environment commiting to a additional color has to mean something. It makes deckbuidling more challenging, gives (a lot) more cards a chance to be desireable for drafters and gives you a reward for sticking with one or two colors. I am pretty sure R&D would mostly agree with me here. Otherwise, we could just introduce untapped rainbow ands, couldn't we?

I don't want to tell you, that you are wrong @blacksmithy, fun is subjective. But since you keep advertising this I felt like giving a contrary point of view here.

it often comes down to what flavor of magic you want to play. i find that the compressed curve and strong fixing one can have in legacy and vintage is the most fun kind of magic there is, and i chafe when i’m drafting slower limited environments where little goes on for the first three turns and it’s costly to go beyond 1.5 colors. that style of magic just doesn’t appeal to me. i want freedom in deckbuilding and action starting on the first turn of play, so i have created an environment where those things are supported and it’s the most fun i’ve ever had playing magic. so i’m gonna keep advertising it, because it’s great

With every new set Wizards create for us to draft, fixing is weak. Always. When we compare it to Legacy and Vintage.

The question is why Wizards keep creating this kind of experience if they could toggle between good fixing every fifth set and weak fixing four out of five sets.

I also like it when my choices matter. And games are only fun when it hurts. Golf would be pretty boring if you could pick up the ball and drive it in a car to hole and simply drop it in. This is the reason why golf has clubs and a large variaty of different obstacles on the course.

I do like to play with and against a Legacy and Vintage mana base. I just agree with Wizards that it should be experienced rarely.

This is why my cube is so great :D You start out super low power (below retail) and you end up with Vintage legal cards. And there I made a brief commercial for my cube once again :p

I think so, yes.
And won’t you miss the cycling?

Are you running any reanimator? (I have checked out one of your blogs but I know you have several)

I run two cards that can reanimate in mono black, but more for value, not as a supported strategie. Also with a format with something closer to 2.0 colors on average, getting a basic land matters less. @Velrun

And Krosan Tusker is the real deal, but I already run it. I wouldn't cut it for either. @LadyMapi

What I like with ants is the immediate lifegain and of course the flashback once it's dealt with.

I can only repeat once again how important it is in my opinion that within an environment commiting to a additional color has to mean something. It makes deckbuidling more challenging, gives (a lot) more cards a chance to be desireable for drafters and gives you a reward for sticking with one or two colors. I am pretty sure R&D would mostly agree with me here. Otherwise, we could just introduce untapped rainbow lands, couldn't we?

I don't want to tell you, that you are wrong @blacksmithy, fun is subjective. But since you keep advertising this I felt like giving a contrary point of view here.
I don't agree with your reasoning here, and I'm going to explain why, but I want to start by saying that your underlying position (committing to an additional color has to mean something) is totally valid. An undesired "5 color soup" problem plagues many Cubes, and that can often lead to situations where card choices never reach beyond "take the most powerful thing in the pack." However, the reasons you state more fixing could be negative are not normally true in practice. Here is why:

1: More fixing lands makes more cards desirable per draft, not less. There are many cards that are improved by having better fixing. 2-drop Cards with double colored mana requirements, such as Knight of the White Orchid, Grim Flayer, and Sprite Dragon are good examples of this. These cards are all good in their respective archetypes, they can become very hard to play in decks that don't have many ways to meet their mana requirements. The flayer and the dragon both want to be in decks with roughly 50/50 mana splits to make casting them on turn two easier, and the Knight wants to be in a deck that is as close to one color as possible. By improving the fixing of a format, it becomes easier to play these cards under more conditions. Now, an Izzet player leaning heavily on Red can play their Sprite Dragon and not have to worry about never being able to cast it on time, or worse, having it rot in hand. There are also some three-color cards like Mantis Rider that are very fun and powerful, but so unbelievably hard to cast without good fixing that they often get left on the chopping block.

More fixing lands also can let players lean a little harder into their splash color without having to worry too much about ruining their mana base. For example, a Selesnya Blink player splashing blue for Soulherder might choose to also splash a high-synergy card like Aven Eternal or Cloudkin Seer that they otherwise couldn't have even considered. Adding that extra bit of fixing could easily open up a ton of unique and interesting options that might not have been available or worthwhile before.

Really the only time that fixing can hurt the playability of some cards is when the power band is extremely broad. For example, if Dark Confidant is in the same environment as Sea Snidd, it's likely going to be beneficial for a Blue player to try and splash the insanely powerful Confidant over playing the mediocre Snidd. Snidd is so much worse than Confidant that any manabase inconsistencies caused by splashing would be made up for by the extreme quality of the splash card. In cases like this, it makes sense to reduce fixing quantities in order to help ensure the lower end of the power spectrum actually makes the final cut of some decks. However, it should be noted that this is an issue of power band and not fixing. A good example of this paradigm is Amaz's peasant Cube. Although Amaz's Cube ran only about 41 fixing lands at 600 cards (or about 25 fixing lands per 360 card draft table), the best deck in the format still ended up being a multicolor soup deck dominated by gold power outliers that were better than anything a one or two color deck could muster. Anything short of removing literally all of the fixing likely would not have solved the problem, and even then, there would still be people trying to play 3+ color decks as a means to play all of the best cards.

2: More fixing lands does not make committing to an extra color a less meaningful decision. This may sound a little weird, but let me explain. Expanding from one draft lane into another is always an important decision, because it fundamentally changes what cards a player might be looking to acquire. It requires players to re-think certain factors like their mana curve, deck speed, removal density, and yes, fixing. After all, adding an extra color can trainwreck a draft due to not getting enough cards to make the addition worthwhile. In formats with sparse fixing, however, committing to that extra color is often a non-decision– even if there is a cool card that justifies playing a third or potentially even fourth color to enable, you likely won't be able to get the tools you need to play the card. If you do decide to go all in and try make the thing work, you might end up in a position where you literally can't cast the splash card and have to either abandon it or live with the fact that you will lose some games because your bomb will rot in hand uncast. One of the things I've been noticing in Midnight Hunt limited is that there are a lot of really cool cards that warrant splashing to play, but you really can't in most scenarios without getting lucky and picking up a Jack-O'-Lantern or an Evolving Wilds. A lot of the time it feels like the only way to justify playing an extra color for a bomb is by heavily leaning into that third color, requiring filler to flow your way as well. This isn't necessarily undesirable for every format, but it can make drafting feel less dynamic, less interesting, and more restrictive.

3: More fixing lands makes it easier to play fewer colors, too. Something I don't see mentioned too often in the fixing discourse is that more fixing helps to make playing fewer colors easier in addition to playing more colors. As Sigh mentioned, a lot of Cubes play as 2.5 color formats, with most decks being either 2 or 3 colors. This is for several reasons, but some of it actually comes down to fixing density. Alot of Cubes only run 30-40 fixing lands per 360 cards, meaning there are roughly 4 dual lands per color pair, or between 9 and 12 dual lands per three-color combinations. This means that, for every two-color player, they will only have access to 33% of the fixing availible to the three-color players. This can lead to situations where it is actually beneficial for players to add an extra color as a way to increase the amount of fixing availible to them while drafting. However, by adding more fixing, this dynamic can change. If we increase 40 lands to 60, now all of the sudden a two-color player has easier access to the lands they need. Instead of having exactly 4 lands in their colors, they will have 6. This also means that they will be fighting less with three-color players, who will now have access to 18 lands in their colors instead of 12. No single player is every going to need 18 fixing lands, meaning that fixing becomes less of a premium for the three-color drafter. This makes it easier for the two-color drafter to pick up what they need, and it also reduces the amount they are fighting with three-color drafters. Now, everyone has better decks, two colors are more viable, and three color decks trainwreck less often. It's a win-win-win scenario!

One of the things that I have been finding in my Cube is that ever since I increased my fixing density is that more people are playing straight two-color decks than they used to. Common practice used to be that non-aggro players would primarily stick to two colors, but they would have a third "splash" color for gold cards and any power outliers they could pick up. This was because they would have access to more potential fixing, even though it wouldn't all contribute to their base colors. Now, players are more confidently able to stick to two colors because adding a third color is now way less consistent and efficient than having only two colors. The only place where more colors are played is in aggro decks, which now tend to be synergy-oriented two-color decks as opposed to linear one-color decks. Instead of aggro being "the red deck" or "the white deck," it's now generally along the lines of "Boros burn," "Izzet spells," or "Orzhov taxes." Monocolor aggro decks still exist, but players are no longer shackled to a single color if they want to have a good aggressive deck.

Conclusion
In short, more fixing is good for most formats provided they have a relatively narrow power delta. It increases the value of most spells, the number of viable archetypes, draft flexibility, and unique possibilities. If better fixing is causing problems, that is likely due to power band concerns and not an issue inherent to fixing in of itself. A lot of Cubes would be improved by the addition of extra fixing to help increase the viability of a broader swath of cards in the format. Given the context of this conversation regarding the color difficulty of casting Kess, Dissident Mage as a barrier to her inclusion, advocating for extra fixing makes perfect sense.

Again, wanting color commitments to mean something is a completely valid design priority, but fixing quality is not as large of a factor in that decision process as your comments may lead one to beleive. The power band and construction of the environment has much more to do with this than raw fixing. If the best strategy in a draft is to take the best cards from each color and try to play them all, people are going to try to do that instead of trying to build more coherent 1-3 color decks. The fixing lands, in this situation, are just making it easier for people to draft an unintended strategy– they exacterbate the problem, but they aren't actually the core issue.

Could this fixing discussion also be related to how you envision and support your archetypes?
Assuming a power band that is relatively tight as @TrainmasterGT mentioned.

If you are going for a more broad approach to archetypes (spanning 4+ colors), you actively want your drafters to explore and find unintended synergies and decks. Having good fixing in this scenario is a great means to an end.
Even in 3 color archetypes, you might support 3 different variations at guild level (for example a {W}{U}{B}) archetype could be supported with {W}{U}, {U}{B} and {W}{B} decks). Since it's the same archetype at shard level you might be happy for those to develop into unexpected combinations. Again, better fixing makes this more realistic.

Whereas if your archetypes are defined by 2 color pairs, as a designer, you are expecting your drafters to slot into one. Sure you could (and should IMO) be able to mish-mash some themes together for a 3 color deck, but since you haven't built the cube with broader archetypes in mind you might not feel the need to go big on fixing since those 2 color decks are part of your cube's design.

Jumping off this discussion... has anyone (other than Brad) built a cube with skewed fixing? In other words, a cube where some 3+ color combinations are easier than others?

I think I've brought this up in the past in the context of a "classic Modern" cube, where there's a draw towards building URx or BGx decks.

Jumping off this discussion... has anyone (other than Brad) built a cube with skewed fixing? In other words, a cube where some 3+ color combinations are easier than others?
I mean, I've kind of done that with my Cube recently. The fixing is slightly skewed towards the enemy color combinations because I run the Triomes in addition to a color-balanced selection of Fetch and Dual lands. The dual land composition also varies a little by color. Every color gets a Fetchland and a Shockland. Every ally color gets a Checkland and every enemy color gets a Horizon Land. Every color pair also gets a Manland, except for Boros and Izzet, which each get checklands because their manlands were kind of mediocre, didn't see constructed play in the era I'm trying to emulate, and don't support the aggro game plans of their guilds. This is rounded out with four 5-color lands. I think I should probably add another cycle of lands, but I don't currently have the funds to acquire any of the other land cycles I would be interested in implementing, and I don't want to add too many more lands that are primarily playable in control- I want my lands to support proactive gameplans first and foremost.

The big difference that "skews" my Cube's color composition is the addition of two extra gold cards per enemy guild section compared to the allied guild sections and the inclusion of five 3-color Wedge card. These changes to the gold section don't greatly increase the percentage of gold cards in the Cube, but they almost double the number of enemy-color gold cards in the Cube, making it easier for me to fit enemy color removal and card filtration without needing to lose any cool engine pieces. I want people to mostly play wedge or enemy color decks without making ally color decks unplayable, and this has been a pretty decent solution so far. Color combinations like Dimir and Gruul are still just as good as they were during 2015, but there are still plenty of toys for Abzan, Sultai Whip, and Delverless Izzet Delver Delve. Even mono-color aggro decks are still viable, although I think in most cases the two-color aggro decks are a little more interesting.

The only real casualty of this model is the colorless section, which is significantly smaller than in previous Cubes I've built. However, since I don't (currently) have an artifacts archetype, not much is lost. The slack from losing a few colorless cards is picked up by still having fully fleshed out mono-color sections and good fixing.

This particular build isn't formal by any stretch of the imagination, but I am still going to share a link for context.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

I think I've brought this up in the past in the context of a "classic Modern" cube, where there's a draw towards building URx or BGx decks.
Yes, my Wheel of Change cube runs an alternate color wheel (WBUGR) where the "new" enemy color pairs are not supported. So there is {W/B} fixing in the cube, but not {W/U} fixing, for example. Consequently, the WBU color triple benefits from both {W/B} fixing and {U/B} fixing, in addition to Esper trilands, whereas the WUG color triple only has {G/U} duals to fall back on. Because there aren't any gold cards in unsupported color combinations either, people don't often end up in "stray" color pairs, though every now and then it does happen.

Last edited:
I don't agree with your reasoning here, and I'm going to explain why, but I want to start by saying that your underlying position (committing to an additional color has to mean something) is totally valid. An undesired "5 color soup" problem plagues many Cubes, and that can often lead to situations where card choices never reach beyond "take the most powerful thing in the pack." However, the reasons you state more fixing could be negative are not normally true in practice. Here is why:

1: More fixing lands makes more cards desirable per draft, not less. There are many cards that are improved by having better fixing. 2-drop Cards with double colored mana requirements, such as Knight of the White Orchid, Grim Flayer, and Sprite Dragon are good examples of this. These cards are all good in their respective archetypes, they can become very hard to play in decks that don't have many ways to meet their mana requirements. The flayer and the dragon both want to be in decks with roughly 50/50 mana splits to make casting them on turn two easier, and the Knight wants to be in a deck that is as close to one color as possible. By improving the fixing of a format, it becomes easier to play these cards under more conditions. Now, an Izzet player leaning heavily on Red can play their Sprite Dragon and not have to worry about never being able to cast it on time, or worse, having it rot in hand. There are also some three-color cards like Mantis Rider that are very fun and powerful, but so unbelievably hard to cast without good fixing that they often get left on the chopping block.

More fixing lands also can let players lean a little harder into their splash color without having to worry too much about ruining their mana base. For example, a Selesnya Blink player splashing blue for Soulherder might choose to also splash a high-synergy card like Aven Eternal or Cloudkin Seer that they otherwise couldn't have even considered. Adding that extra bit of fixing could easily open up a ton of unique and interesting options that might not have been available or worthwhile before.

Really the only time that fixing can hurt the playability of some cards is when the power band is extremely broad. For example, if Dark Confidant is in the same environment as Sea Snidd, it's likely going to be beneficial for a Blue player to try and splash the insanely powerful Confidant over playing the mediocre Snidd. Snidd is so much worse than Confidant that any manabase inconsistencies caused by splashing would be made up for by the extreme quality of the splash card. In cases like this, it makes sense to reduce fixing quantities in order to help ensure the lower end of the power spectrum actually makes the final cut of some decks. However, it should be noted that this is an issue of power band and not fixing. A good example of this paradigm is Amaz's peasant Cube. Although Amaz's Cube ran only about 41 fixing lands at 600 cards (or about 25 fixing lands per 360 card draft table), the best deck in the format still ended up being a multicolor soup deck dominated by gold power outliers that were better than anything a one or two color deck could muster. Anything short of removing literally all of the fixing likely would not have solved the problem, and even then, there would still be people trying to play 3+ color decks as a means to play all of the best cards.

2: More fixing lands does not make committing to an extra color a less meaningful decision. This may sound a little weird, but let me explain. Expanding from one draft lane into another is always an important decision, because it fundamentally changes what cards a player might be looking to acquire. It requires players to re-think certain factors like their mana curve, deck speed, removal density, and yes, fixing. After all, adding an extra color can trainwreck a draft due to not getting enough cards to make the addition worthwhile. In formats with sparse fixing, however, committing to that extra color is often a non-decision– even if there is a cool card that justifies playing a third or potentially even fourth color to enable, you likely won't be able to get the tools you need to play the card. If you do decide to go all in and try make the thing work, you might end up in a position where you literally can't cast the splash card and have to either abandon it or live with the fact that you will lose some games because your bomb will rot in hand uncast. One of the things I've been noticing in Midnight Hunt limited is that there are a lot of really cool cards that warrant splashing to play, but you really can't in most scenarios without getting lucky and picking up a Jack-O'-Lantern or an Evolving Wilds. A lot of the time it feels like the only way to justify playing an extra color for a bomb is by heavily leaning into that third color, requiring filler to flow your way as well. This isn't necessarily undesirable for every format, but it can make drafting feel less dynamic, less interesting, and more restrictive.

3: More fixing lands makes it easier to play fewer colors, too. Something I don't see mentioned too often in the fixing discourse is that more fixing helps to make playing fewer colors easier in addition to playing more colors. As Sigh mentioned, a lot of Cubes play as 2.5 color formats, with most decks being either 2 or 3 colors. This is for several reasons, but some of it actually comes down to fixing density. Alot of Cubes only run 30-40 fixing lands per 360 cards, meaning there are roughly 4 dual lands per color pair, or between 9 and 12 dual lands per three-color combinations. This means that, for every two-color player, they will only have access to 33% of the fixing availible to the three-color players. This can lead to situations where it is actually beneficial for players to add an extra color as a way to increase the amount of fixing availible to them while drafting. However, by adding more fixing, this dynamic can change. If we increase 40 lands to 60, now all of the sudden a two-color player has easier access to the lands they need. Instead of having exactly 4 lands in their colors, they will have 6. This also means that they will be fighting less with three-color players, who will now have access to 18 lands in their colors instead of 12. No single player is every going to need 18 fixing lands, meaning that fixing becomes less of a premium for the three-color drafter. This makes it easier for the two-color drafter to pick up what they need, and it also reduces the amount they are fighting with three-color drafters. Now, everyone has better decks, two colors are more viable, and three color decks trainwreck less often. It's a win-win-win scenario!

One of the things that I have been finding in my Cube is that ever since I increased my fixing density is that more people are playing straight two-color decks than they used to. Common practice used to be that non-aggro players would primarily stick to two colors, but they would have a third "splash" color for gold cards and any power outliers they could pick up. This was because they would have access to more potential fixing, even though it wouldn't all contribute to their base colors. Now, players are more confidently able to stick to two colors because adding a third color is now way less consistent and efficient than having only two colors. The only place where more colors are played is in aggro decks, which now tend to be synergy-oriented two-color decks as opposed to linear one-color decks. Instead of aggro being "the red deck" or "the white deck," it's now generally along the lines of "Boros burn," "Izzet spells," or "Orzhov taxes." Monocolor aggro decks still exist, but players are no longer shackled to a single color if they want to have a good aggressive deck.

Conclusion
In short, more fixing is good for most formats provided they have a relatively narrow power delta. It increases the value of most spells, the number of viable archetypes, draft flexibility, and unique possibilities. If better fixing is causing problems, that is likely due to power band concerns and not an issue inherent to fixing in of itself. A lot of Cubes would be improved by the addition of extra fixing to help increase the viability of a broader swath of cards in the format. Given the context of this conversation regarding the color difficulty of casting Kess, Dissident Mage as a barrier to her inclusion, advocating for extra fixing makes perfect sense.

Again, wanting color commitments to mean something is a completely valid design priority, but fixing quality is not as large of a factor in that decision process as your comments may lead one to beleive. The power band and construction of the environment has much more to do with this than raw fixing. If the best strategy in a draft is to take the best cards from each color and try to play them all, people are going to try to do that instead of trying to build more coherent 1-3 color decks. The fixing lands, in this situation, are just making it easier for people to draft an unintended strategy– they exacterbate the problem, but they aren't actually the core issue.

I agree with most of what you've said here, indeed, but I think I have to clarify something as it seems like you might've misunderstood me to some degree.

I am a huge fan of good and plentiful fixing, and I'd wish that every limited set at least would have a 10-card cycle of gate equivalents at common. Also, my cube allows you to draft 4 colors pretty easily. I'm just certain that there is a too much, a point where it is not net positive anymore. If one would just put ABU duals and fetches into the basic land box, that would completely depreciate the color system that's so integral to the game. And, to get a scenario that's more plausible to everyone (except maybe @blacksmithy ;)), even if you would just have a huge amount of bomb-level fixing (something like 4+ cards per pack being ABU duals or fetches) it becomes too trivial for my taste to add multiple colors to your deck.

I prefer a lower powered mix when it comes to the actual fixing lands. Of course that's subjective, but it makes drafting a more interesting challenge to me, when I know I can go 4-color to have all the answers and use all those colors strengths, but I have to commit to using lands, that cost me tempo or life in game.

With "it makes less cards desireable" I wasn't looking from a player's/drafter's perspective, but from an overall view. A good card will always be desireable for at least one or two people at a table. They don't even need good fixing for that. But cards that are a little lower on the spectrum within a given cube (even if you strife for it, you won't ever get the perfect balance where everything is equally desireable on it's own) will have a harder time finding a home. Let's say I'm solidly in Izzet in the middle of pack two. Now I see a great black card, but i have neither Rakdos nor Dimir fixing yet. Am I taking that black card from the higher end of that cube's power spectrum? Or am I taking one of the lower powered blue and red cards withing the same pack? If I am certain that I will be able to pick up great black fixing in pack three, it wouldn't be correct to give the lower powered cards a chance, right? But if I might just see a temple or bounce land, not even certainly so, there is now a home for those red and blue cards. It's my deck in this scenario.

Number two, the "lesser commitment" is where I think you got me wrong. I want a good amount of good fixing. In basically every format I draft. It should just stay a meaningful decision. And when you say "After all, adding an extra color can trainwreck a draft due to not getting enough cards to make the addition worthwhile", you basically describe the scenario that I find desireable too. I want my drafters to have the option of going colorful. But it should cost them something, a meaningful draft pick and a slight drawback in game (although the latter isn't necessary when we're talking very high powered environments).

With number three, the "it's easier to play fewer color" argument, I have to disagree somewhat with you. r we misunderstood each other, maybe a mix of both. Well, yes, you are correct that a three-color-player has more fixing avaiable to him, but that player also needs more fixing, compared to a two-colored deck. Sure, you'll now have three guilds to pick from in terms of fixing, so the ratio might support that argument to some degree, but then you forget something else: The more fixing I add to a format, the more non-lands I have to cut. When I remove four cards per color to add two cycles of fixing, that's four cards less a mono-black-drafter can pick to get to 23 cards he or she is happy to play. And it's eight less for the Dimir-Drafter. That is relevant, because the pools for let's say a monocolored deck are already much smaller. And I want to support those.

To make this clear: I was never advertising Midnight Hunt levels of fixing (that environment in particular would be much cooler if they would've added just one decent common fixing cycle). But I still think that a 360 card cube doesn't need 4x fetch/4x ABU or something absurd like this, I think that would make the drafting and playing experience a lot worse.

a lot of “we fixed the vintage cube to actually have a decent power band” cubes skew HARD to UB. they’re pretty cool.

But I still think that a 360 card cube doesn't need 4x fetch/4x ABU or something absurd like this, I think that would make the drafting and playing experience a lot worse.
after a lot of testing this is almost EXACTLY the ratio of fixing lands per player i hit on as the BEST play experience.
the difference is i upsize the cube and draft pool by about 5-10 cards (you draft 50 cards in my current iteration) so you can draft your spells and your mana and still have enough playables. for example a 360 card cube would become a 400 card cube with 80 fixing lands.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
a lot of “we fixed the vintage cube to actually have a decent power band” cubes skew HARD to UB. they’re pretty cool.

after a lot of testing this is almost EXACTLY the ratio of fixing lands per player i hit on as the BEST play experience.
the difference is i upsize the cube and draft pool by about 5-10 cards (you draft 50 cards in my current iteration) so you can draft your spells and your mana and still have enough playables. for example a 360 card cube would become a 400 card cube with 80 fixing lands.
One of the problems I've had for a while is there's some people who just take any fixing land like they're moxen (And I'm on shock fetch, so fixing is powerful) but surely there's some card you should be taking over flooded strand. I run things like hellrider and jace the mind sculptor after all.

As a result, anyone who isn't picking these over literally everything usually ends up with ~4 nonbaics (not on color, total), and the people playing four color piles get ~18 (With a record high of 24. Just actively making everyone's deck worse at that point, I was so frustrated.*)

I don't have an issue with the four color piles if not for the effect it's having on other drafters, so I'd been gradually increasing the density of fixing, and switching to 3 packs of 16.

I'm currently at 80/466 (~17%), whereas your at a hard 20%. I'm not sure if you've got people who love fixing as much as my group, but how many lands would you say people are getting on average, and on the lower end?

*This drafter was quite new and had learned over the last few drafts that "fixing was good", and just didn't know when to stop. They also had a draft where my custom cards weren't displaying properly, so they switched to text only, could not see the mana costs of any of my custom cards, did not mention this, then only drafted custom cards, which I remind you they could not see the costs of. To remedy this trainwreck of a draft, they shuffled in 5 of each basic and called it a day.

I don't have an issue with the four color piles if not for the effect it's having on other drafters, so I'd been gradually increasing the density of fixing, and switching to 3 packs
I'm currently at 80/466 (~17%), whereas your at a hard 20%. I'm not sure if you've got people who love fixing as much as my group, but how many lands would you say people are getting on average, and on the lower end?
i think the lowest i’ve seen is 6 fixers at the end of a draft, typically i’m the one taking them like they’re moxen, but i try to stop around 12, as generally you’re running 14-15 lands in my cube anyway. i always keep the ratio of lands-to-drafters very close to 10:1, with slight error on the 10+:1 side

i upsize the cube and draft pool by about 5-10 cards (you draft 50 cards in my current iteration) so you can draft your spells and your mana and still have enough playables. for example a 360 card cube would become a 400 card cube with 80 fixing lands.

This sentence right here completely annihilates everything you’ve said about fixing lands the last few weeks.

We all thought you were talking about a normal distribution of cards.

I want to note that there is nothing wrong with changing the numbers. We just didn’t know. I also have a widely different approach to cube than most people in here although @ravnic is getting there with his quest cards that give the players more cards in the future.

I think it's also important to bear in mind that blacksmithy's cube has a super low average mana cost. Given that they also like 3+ color decks, that requires a level of fixing that's closer to Modern/Legacy/Vintage than any limited format I can think of.

I run rather little fixing 20/360 + talisman cycle and my drafters and I are fine with the occasional (but rare) color screw. I also run a large artifact section which could help to mitigate the tension on the fixing. My drafters think all other card types are more interesting than fixing lands. It's also a matter of taste I guess.

vs.
In my medium powered & graveyard focused cube I think I like Dryad's Revival as it can be milled and recur a key piece out of the graveyard. Regrowth seems to be better to enable spell velocity shenanigans.
What do you guys think?