General Fight Club

Seek the Beast is an Instant with "Until your next end step", so unless you're main-phasing it to hit a land drop you'd otherwise miss it's a straight upgrade.

You have three turns to play the cards from Reckless Impulse. Two of your own turns and one enemy turn where you can cast instants.

You have two turns to play the cards from Seek the Beast. One enemy turn where you can cash instants and one of your own turns.

Which flying men+ is better? My blue aggressive decks have usually at least a couple ninjas and an equipment. Other decks usually don't play them as much, unless they have a specific reason (think Pteramander).

Thousand-Faced Shadow is definitely cooler. Makes me want to live the dream with Runo Stromkirk and... Mirror-Style Master and Flamerush Rider? You know, utterly unplayable jank.

In all seriousness though, Sailor is probably better unless you can play the Shadow early and get that famous flying men tempo before rebuying it with another Ninja.

If you want a flex slot, Sailor is definitely better, but it doesn't scream bluggro the way Shadow does. They're both fairly comparable, tbh, though I'd say that Shadow is less likely to be anything other than a Flying Men. Which brings me to my question--is the problem one of deck strength or drafter perception? If the former, Sailor, if the latter, Shadow. If it's both, glhf.

My personal Flying Men+ of choice is Lantern Bearer as it's good in a lot of decks and doesn't feel bad when it dies, but I understand why DFCs aren't for everyone. That said, this is the card that sold me on making my cube DFC-friendly so I'd recommend other people think about it more too.

Zoss, it's funny that you bring up Lantern Bearer, because that's what's currently, in that slot. However, I would prefer to find single faced solutions for the five remaining dfcs in my cube, because the logistics annoy me.

I think I will go for the sailor. Probably. It has less words on it and might end up in non-aggro decks as blacksmithy said.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Zoss, it's funny that you bring up Lantern Bearer, because that's what's currently, in that slot. However, I would prefer to find single faced solutions for the five remaining dfcs in my cube, because the logistics annoy me.
See, I feel you, but three of the flipwalkers are very dear to my heart in function. I want to run some planeswalkers, but most regular planeswalkers are... too easy?

I've been running Reckless Impulse in my cube and it has been a B-tier spell. Solid, but nothing spectacular. You run it because it's yet another instant you can use to draw, trigger storm, Pyromancer, etc. And I wonder if it would be too much of a downgrade to do this:

->

It doesn't affect turns in which you go off but it is substantially worse of for set-up and it's very much not a turn-two play. Do you think the difference will be huge or will the difference be small enough that it's worth the sacrifice of slotting in the Druid? It's a human, it uses counters and I already run Managorger Hydra as spells support.

Thoughts?
Honestly, if Reckless Impulse is performing well in the Cube, I would just play both rather than doing a 1 for 1 swap. The draw-two impulse is such a nice effect for Red decks that some redundancy is totally warranted.

Which flying men+ is better? My blue aggressive decks have usually at least a couple ninjas and an equipment. Other decks usually don't play them as much, unless they have a specific reason (think Pteramander).
I don't think these are directly comparable outside of both being flying men. While Thousand-Faced Shadow is a ninjutsu payoff that can also help to turn on your other ninjas, Spectral Sailor is more of a flash payoff and mana sink for decks that are trying to hold up interaction. I'd say Sailor is more flexible because it's more open-ended, but Shadow is better in its specific deck. However, which one will be better in your Cube is entirely up to the role you need to fill.

I don't think these are directly comparable outside of both being flying men. While Thousand-Faced Shadow is a ninjutsu payoff that can also help to turn on your other ninjas, Spectral Sailor is more of a flash payoff and mana sink for decks that are trying to hold up interaction. I'd say Sailor is more flexible because it's more open-ended, but Shadow is better in its specific deck. However, which one will be better in your Cube is entirely up to the role you need to fill.

I think being flying men is the most important role for either, as I need those for ninjas to work. Being useful in different decks is probably a higher upside than being another ninjutsu effect, especially since I'm not in love with this one.

I try to keep my cube as “sandboxy“ as possible. I think I want to leave it up to my drafters wether they see a ninja supporter, a reward for holding instant speed interaction or a sideboard tech against a bunch of aggressive X/1s. :)

I think being flying men is the most important role for either, as I need those for ninjas to work. Being useful in different decks is probably a higher upside than being another ninjutsu effect, especially since I'm not in love with this one.

I try to keep my cube as “sandboxy“ as possible. I think I want to leave it up to my drafters wether they see a ninja supporter, a reward for holding instant speed interaction or a sideboard tech against a bunch of aggressive X/1s. :)
It sounds like you will get more mileage out of Spectral Sailor. I don't think most drafters will look at Thousand-Faced Shadow and see anything other than a Ninjas card, especially if you're about to have an influx of players who haven't drafted the Cube before.

Both are good cards even when drawn later. Thousand can be a blowout since it makes a copy of another attacking creature and the copy is not even blocked! Thousand also has the agency of playing it early or sandbagging it. Sailor is just play it.
My vote for the thousand face. But both is also okay in a cube I guess

But both is also okay in a cube I guess

You know what, I'll cut Merfolk Windrobber as well and give both a try.

Unless they print another really cool 1-drop flier like Faerie Dreamthief in blue before I get to my next update, in which case I would only add the Sailor. Maaann now, I want blue's Faerie Dreamthief, just make it scry and don't lose life for the draw.

You know what, I'll cut Merfolk Windrobber as well and give both a try.

Unless they print another really cool 1-drop flier like Faerie Dreamthief in blue before I get to my next update, in which case I would only add the Sailor. Maaann now, I want blue's Faerie Dreamthief, just make it scry and don't lose life for the draw.
ooh i would play that too

I would prefer to find single faced solutions ... because the logistics annoy me.
... the flipwalkers are very dear to my heart in function. I want to run some planeswalkers, but most regular planeswalkers are... too easy?

I have both of these competing impulses. I use these (and others like them) in packs to avoid memory issues or information leaking during the draft, with the actual DFC sitting with my tokens for deck construction. Some of my players just prefer to use the stand-in with a marker to represent which side is face-up.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have both of these competing impulses. I use these (and others like them) in packs to avoid memory issues or information leaking during the draft, with the actual DFC sitting with my tokens for deck construction. Some of my players just prefer to use the stand-in with a marker to represent which side is face-up.
I actually use one-sided DFC’s for drafting and deck building! I have the actual DFC’s in clear sleeves, so you can flip them without having to remove them from the sleeve :)

Is a 1-mana thrill that akways draws a mediocre 3-drop as one of the two cards still better? Or is the chance to draw two good spells worth the extra investment?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is a 1-mana thrill that akways draws a mediocre 3-drop as one of the two cards still better? Or is the chance to draw two good spells worth the extra investment?
You're asking the right question, but I'm not sure what the answer is. I would never maindeck Merchant of the Vale for its body alone, so it stands to reason that it's alsno not a card I would want to draw with Thrill of Possibility or Haggle either.

You're asking the right question, but I'm not sure what the answer is. I would never maindeck Merchant of the Vale for its body alone, so it stands to reason that it's alsno not a card I would want to draw with Thrill of Possibility or Haggle either.
Does it though? You're (usually) way happier to draw it than a land on turn twelve, right? Part of the benefit would be that it's guaranteed to be (its garbage body, but...) not a land. I think. I mean I'm also inclined to not play it over Thrill, but I can see the appeal of lowering the fail-state to Blind Phantasm.

One information that might br really relevant here: red is not a spells matter color in my cube. It sometimes plays a supporting role in blue based spells decks, but the only red card caring about it is a lone Revolutionist. However, madness is a very large theme centered in red, where the cheaper cost to rummage might be relevant?