General Fight Club

One information that might br really relevant here: red is not a spells matter color in my cube. It sometimes plays a supporting role in blue based spells decks, but the only red card caring about it is a lone Revolutionist. However, madness is a very large theme centered in red, where the cheaper cost to rummage might be relevant?
if you want this as madness then having a lower upfront cost and being able to discard anytime until they kill your 2/3 are both big game in that deck

I think that ravnic's low powered format is not nearly as disappointed casting Merchant as the rest of us. I'd rather pay XR to Madness something than X1R.

That said, Thrill is a solid filtering spell for a lot of red decks and I'm not sure the same is true of Haggle.

Overall, I think it's pretty close for what I envision your format to look like.

While madness enabling is certainly it's main purpose, I don't want it to be unplayable everywhere else.

You'd think red would have a decent amount of cheap discard outlets that are generally useful, but it's surprisingly scarce there. I am running these 9 and I'm already not in love with half of them.

The last two at least could need a replacement, but beyond these I have the choice between akward stuff like Plarg or super weak stuff like Rummaging Goblin.

Love this card, feel like I don't see it in too many lists. It's really good!

Really fun modal card, although I am just a sicko for any card that says "discard your hand" on it.

Last edited:
If the Red options are too lackluster, could you go with colorless instead? Stuff like

I am already on Key to the City, Gathan Raiders, Deal Broker, Mask of Memory and Zephyr Boots currently and will add Collector's Vault as well. Cookbook was meh after I cut Asmoramobhdcjukff.

I haven't tried Channeler yet, because I don't want to support spells matter in red.

The other two are only good if you are really on madness, and I don't want to have too much of that. Currently I use Battlefield Scavenger. Do you think Furyblade is better for that deck?

Love this card, feel like I don't see it in too many lists. It's really good!

Really fun modal card, although I am just a sicko for any card that says "discard your hand" on it.

Pyre is in my maybeboard for the next update. I'm just not sure it will be played as a looting spell that often.

Rix Maadi is not approbiate for color category authists like me.

So, on face value most people might pick seeker. But what if the deck playing this 2-drop is an aggro deck that only has like 5-7 noncreature spells in it? What if it also cares about lifegain triggers?

Do you think Furyblade is better for that deck?

Honestly? Yeah.

Battlefield Scavenger is a bear that can potentially rummage every other turn, in exchange for it being tapped out for the next turn cycle. You have no other cards that Exert and nothing that would let a player cheat the freeze (your only creature untappers are Threaten effects and you have no way of granting Vigilance), so the ceiling isn't any higher than what it would be in a vacuum (which, to be blunt, is pretty low and not super exciting).

In contrast, Furyblade takes pump spells and carries equipment reasonably well (because of the built-in evasion). Not only that, but you can feed it junk cards (like extra lands) or Madness spells to have it swing in with an above-the-curve body (a 4/2 for {1}{R} with Trample isn't anything to sneeze at). Heck, you don't even need to wait a turn to start feeding cards to it, if you have a Madness card that you want discarded now.
I remember syndic of tithes being real good in its draft environment. Extort is an awesome mechanic! Too bad tithe is like the 1 decent card with it

Blind Obedience is a decent enough sideboard card, if nothing else.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I remember syndic of tithes being real good in its draft environment. Extort is an awesome mechanic! Too bad tithe is like the 1 decent card with it
On the one hand it’s hilarious how bad the extort cards in general are, on the other hand, archetype was pretty successful in limited. Turns out tacking life drain onto every card you cast is pretty powerful. That said, extort is a good mechanic to use on customs!

Okay, guess it'll be syndic :)

Honestly? Yeah.

Battlefield Scavenger is a bear that can potentially rummage every other turn, in exchange for it being tapped out for the next turn cycle. You have no other cards that Exert and nothing that would let a player cheat the freeze (your only creature untappers are Threaten effects and you have no way of granting Vigilance), so the ceiling isn't any higher than what it would be in a vacuum (which, to be blunt, is pretty low and not super exciting).

In contrast, Furyblade takes pump spells and carries equipment reasonably well (because of the built-in evasion). Not only that, but you can feed it junk cards (like extra lands) or Madness spells to have it swing in with an above-the-curve body (a 4/2 for {1}{R} with Trample isn't anything to sneeze at). Heck, you don't even need to wait a turn to start feeding cards to it, if you have a Madness card that you want discarded now.

Woe thanks, that reads convincing. It's not that I am in love with either option, but when you want a red 2-drop with 2+ power that lets you madness a wurm on turn three, your options are very limited.

vs

I like the idea of having a land on the backside more than cycling 2 I think, but is the timing restriction on Rebirth too limiting?

both are good, but i only run unearth mostly because DFC

EDIT: if i had more utility land space i would just make a single sided version of rebirth via cycling or something and run it that way

EDIT EDIT: i think that rebirth gets better if there are more decks that want that kind of effect (pyromancer type decks with "important creatures") that also need to hit, let's say, at least 4 land drops.
unearth gets better as there are more decks that just dont care too much about getting to 4 for any reason

Last edited:
Would changing Malakir Rebirth (or any of the other Zendikar MDFCs) to have 'Swampcycling {1}' instead make it significantly more powerful?

It seems like a simple way to make them single sided, and the 1-mana land cyclers from LOR have been very popular.

Would changing Malakir Rebirth (or any of the other Zendikar MDFCs) to have 'Swampcycling {1}' instead make it significantly more powerful?

Obvious answer is that it depends on the presence of shocks/triomes in your environment, but those things aside/making it "basic swampcycling" should be fine powerwise. It's a pretty common change to make, but IMO you're just changing out the fiddliness of a DFC for the fiddliness of extra shuffling which isn't that much of a gain.