General Fight Club

The only other card I’m looking at from LCI. that has a showcase version is Malcolm, Alluring Scoundrel. The regular art is fine if a little generic. I’m not sold on the showcase version though. The card isn’t too expensive so I may get one of each and see how they look f real.

This article has all the art treatments on one page, so you can see if anything takes your fancy.

Edit: I’ve just noticed Akal Pakal triggers off tokens, doesn’t require casting of artifacts, and can trigger on both my own and opponen’s turns. Could be hilarious with something like Third Path Iconoclast. Thanks!

Malcolm gives me PTSD. In the draft prerelease I was 1-1, proceeded to play my last round against some guy. Talking to him he stated that he hated cube, which made me mad because it's such a stupid thing to say, when you apparently like drafting, but hes wasn't open for arguments. Then he beat the crap out of me with his double Malcolm deck, he always had that stupid card turn two.

Malcolm gives me PTSD. In the draft prerelease I was 1-1, proceeded to play my last round against some guy. Talking to him he stated that he hated cube, which made me mad because it's such a stupid thing to say, when you apparently like drafting, but hes wasn't open for arguments. Then he beat the crap out of me with his double Malcolm deck, he always had that stupid card turn two.
I had a guy who told me he didn't like cube because it kept changing :p
We need some sort of "???" reaction for shit like this.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel ya. Some people love the constancy of something like Brood War or Chess or Smash Melee.
I think they're crazy, but they're entitled to their opinion.

The only other card I’m looking at from LCI. that has a showcase version is Malcolm, Alluring Scoundrel. The regular art is fine if a little generic. I’m not sold on the showcase version though.
b3ed6341-59f4-44f3-99c9-80f636fa484d.jpg

wow I had not seen that before and all I can think of is

vs

Looking to slot in Gravecrawler into my cube and increase my zombie density when possible. Wondering if this is a one of these moments.

I like that Jadar doesn't gum up the board and incentivizes you to use the tokens since you get another one anyways. You also get the token earlier and being a creature in Black is valuable.

Bitterblossom can be both offensive and defensive because of how well flying tokens attack and block. The life loss insures that you move along with the game or just die to your enchantment.

Thoughts?

vs

Looking to slot in Gravecrawler into my cube and increase my zombie density when possible. Wondering if this is a one of these moments.

I like that Jadar doesn't gum up the board and incentivizes you to use the tokens since you get another one anyways. You also get the token earlier and being a creature in Black is valuable.

Bitterblossom can be both offensive and defensive because of how well flying tokens attack and block. The life loss insures that you move along with the game or just die to your enchantment.

Thoughts?
So I think it kind of depends on how fast the Cube ends up being.

Bitterblossom is not as good as it used to be since it takes so long to get going. In a long game you can make a ton of tokens and beat down the opponent, which is great and can potentially warp the game. However, if the game is ending before you get to make more than a couple Faeries, that becomes problematic.

By contrast, Jadar maxes out at a single Zombie every turn. It provides good sacrifice fodder but doesn't help you build an army like Blossom. If you have a fast format, this card is basically unplayable. If you have a slow and grindy format, it can do some work but won't top out anywhere near bitterblossom.

I personally think Bitterblossom is the cooler and more iconic card so I would probably go with that. If you really need zombies there are myriad other options at two mana.

If you really need zombies there are myriad other options at two mana.
Yeah, I was mostly trying to free a spot (token producer + zombie type), not add a random zombie, but I like your suggestions.

I am not quite sure I understand your argument about Jadar being unplayable in a faster environment.
You said that Bitterblossom isn’t worth it if you only get a few tokens (games end fast). Yet that is exactly where Jadar would have an advantage since you get your first zombie at end step, giving you one extra creature to sacrifice compared to the enchantment.

I do agree though, that Jadar is less exciting and iconic and that Bitterblossom’s ceiling is way higher and cooler.

If you want a medium between those two...

0ef8d3a2-5c6b-41e2-aa7d-81e4a5d04421.jpg
That’s a good suggestion in line with my power level. Not sure it encourages the play patterns I want though, deathtouch can be punishing!

Ophiomancer is extremely strong on defense and not particularly useful for offense, so I would only include it if you're wanting that slot purely as a defensive piece with occasionally useful synergistic upside. Unlike Bitterblossom which can fill all three of those roles or Jadar which only fills the synergistic and aggressive roles. It also really slows the game down and stuffs aggro hard so that's something you have to be cool with. Sick card for those purposes though, it is very strong in fair environments.